Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Double - clutching

3K views 28 replies 17 participants last post by  garyk 
#1 ·
I've heard this phrase used alot, but can someone tell me what "double clutching" is?

#2 ·
it is not needed on our cars because we have devices in our transmissions called syncronizers.
But what it is are these steps:
Say you are in first and want to shift to second this is what you do
1. depress clutch
2. shift into neutral
3. release clutch
4. depress clutch
5. shift into second

really only big trucks need to double clutch.

I love how Fast and Furious corrupted everyone!

#3 ·
While its not needed, its still handy for not disrupting the car at all while shifting in a corner. But you really have to be good.

For most people, regular heel-toe works best.

#6 ·
The transmission shown here does not have "synchros" (discussed later in the article), so if you were using this transmission you would have to double-clutch it. Double-clutching was common in older cars and is still common in some modern race cars. In double-clutching, you first push the clutch pedal in once to disengage the engine from the transmission. This takes the pressure off the dog teeth so you can move the collar into neutral. Then you release the clutch pedal and rev the engine to the "right speed." The right speed is the rpm value at which the engine should be running in the next gear. The idea is to get the blue gear of the next gear and the collar rotating at the same speed so that the dog teeth can engage. Then you push the clutch pedal in again and lock the collar into the new gear. At every gear change you have to press and release the clutch twice, hence the name "double-clutching."
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission4.htm

#7 ·
If that's what double-clutching is, I've always done that especially around corners...lol

Why? It is a total waste of time and effort. There is NO reason to use it. This is a sickening subject that keeps comming up. If you can't shift your car normally and smoothly no matter how your driving, you (a) don't know how to drive, or (b) have something seriously wrong with your tranny. Simple as that. To know what it is, is one thing. To actually use it is total rice city baby. hence the FF referance.

#12 ·
lol,,,,,,,double clutching is fun sometimes,,,but it does take more time off,,,,the only advantage is having ur next gear already revved high,,,instead of waiting for the acceleration

f&f did its part,,but most people are ignoramuses and believe everything they see on a screen

#15 ·
First off, if your cornering is so bad you need to double clutch, you can't afford to be screwing around double clutching. Spend a little time watching speed vision. If those guys don't need to double clutch in the corners, I'm sure I can do without it also.

Second while you're double clutching to save synchros, you're wearing out your throw out bearing and clutch cable.

#16 ·
To whoever still double clutches... You're not doing it for the reason it used to be done for, you're doing because F&F says it's cool.

Stop watching Fast & Furious, go to a racing school and drive on, thank you.

#17 ·
thefrush said:

Stop watching Fast & Furious, go to a racing school and drive on, thank you.
And garyk is an instructor for HPDE and other events, and he double-clutches.

#18 ·
heel-toe breaking shouldn't be confused with double clutching but I'm willing to 'bet pink slips' ( like the F&F tie in there? lol) that you will learn heel-toe at a driving school. Please add on here gary but the reason to heel toe is not only to rev-match but as well 2 other notable things... 1) car balance, no engine breaking to lock up wheels etc... 2) car is ready to accelerate

Moreover, the same balance/accelerate principle applies with corners that attract left foot braking... with the two feet you are able to maintain a balance unique from right foot brake/throttle

Perhaps not explained all that well, kinda dosy lol

#20 ·
well

to effectively heel-toe, you also need to match trans shaft revs to engine speed-hence just dumping the clutch and holding it in and just revving will not do that. and yes originally it was done because of non-synchro gear boxes such as the hewland on my old formula ford with straight cut gears.

#21 ·
btw

not at all fast and furious, quite the opposite. njever seen either of those pieces of crap. the closest i come is a 10 month race and instructional binge very year. log several hundreds of hours on east coast tracks. next up enduro at lime rock. i may take svt's offer up next year and instruct at the new dunnville circuit-if i do you can see what its ll about.

#26 ·
I may not be an instructor but I have raced one thing or another since the mid 60's and I haven't double clutched since I last drove an old fire truck with bad syncros. If you shift gears and it doesn't grind, the syncros are working and you don't need to double clutch. I still can't figure out what the purpose is, other than making your shift times slower.

And Dangerous, if you double clutch while drag racing.....well, I'm not even going there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.