Focus Fanatics Forum banner

SVTF vs. '04 MUSTANG GT

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  2004SVTAutoXer 
#1 ·
I was on my way home last night, just cruisin' on the freeway, when I pass a nice, orange GT. Just passing by. No biggie. then, about 30 secs. later, he changes lanes behind me, and rides my ass. I think he saw the SVT badge and decided to challenge. Now, I'm no idiot. i know for a fact that i can't beat a GT. But I figured on the freeway, I would lose barely, and I'll tell ya why:

About a year ago, I had an '04 GT atx rental car (yes, the dealership let me have one for a few days). This thing had NO BALLS. It was ok from light to light, but on the freway it sucked real bad. I had to press the gas all the way just to get enough power to get a good pass. I never raced anyone in it, but I was unimpressed with the top-end.

Anyways, remembering that, I figured that a top end race would fair well for me. So I downshift into 3rd and gun it. I got a good distance, which gave him the hint that i wanted to race. he chased. We got onto the next freeway, and slowed down. When we were sided up at 65mph, I dropped to 3rd, and punched it. he punched too. I could hear his engine roaring, so i know he was trying. He was slowly gaining on me, but it took a good 10 seconds to barely pass me. i was proud! I knew I was gonna loose, but I thought he'd pound me more than that. So we tried again. Same thing, i punch it. Again, he's barely passing me. then all of a sudden he's gone like a bullet! remember the cobra vs. supra video? Yea, he burned me like that! He musta been sprayin', just he was gone like we were racing from a standstill at a light. I know a stock GT doesn't have a top end like that! Anyways, it was fun.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like fun. Personally i like racing ( i know its illegal ) and im a very good loser. I'll race an 04 cobra ( i have ), and made me look like toy, but who cares, its still a rush.

#4 ·
i believe an 04 GT is only .1 faster in the quarter than an SVT

could be wrong - it's 3rd rate info from a VW guy i work with.

#5 ·
2004SVTAutoXer said:
i believe an 04 GT is only .1 faster in the quarter than an SVT

could be wrong - it's 3rd rate info from a VW guy i work with.
04 GT's run anywhere from 13.9-14.5 depending on the driver and tranny.. Could vary some also.. Fastest ones would be high 13s with good skills behind the wheel!![thumb] This wasnt 1/4 mile though, Mustangs arent 'usually' the strongest in a race from a roll. I know mine is a dog on the hwy!! Prolly more so than the modulars![thumb]

#7 ·
Compared to its off the line potention mine is a hwy dog! Good ol no high rpm power 5.0![thumb] The mod cars smoke my mild modded 5.0 on the hwy, but I smoke them off the line and through the 1/4 mile!!

Only reason I called mine a dog! I just said that Mustangs arent 'usually' the strongest from a roll, but stated 'mine' as being the dog!! 03 Cobras are killer from a roll though[eek]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.