Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Steeda CAI Now Available

72K views 429 replies 68 participants last post by  Creative 
#1 ·
#126 ·
I dont buy it.. I'm sure these numbers are with the hood up and a large fan blowing air at the filter.
Put the hood down and drive down the street, breathing through the shitty factory snorkel and it wont make that power.
Also.. velocity stack smoothing air into the factory rippled tube? I could understand if they changed things around so that it was a straight shot to the manifold.
I bet you can put a k&n drop in filter with an open box and make similar gains, if you were to dyno the same car/day back to back.

#129 ·
I still don't get it. They both make 10 or 12 or whatever horsepower, but one is $80 more expensive? What am I missing here? I trust Steeda and have had parts by them in the past. Heat soak has to be a problem under non ideal conditions on the ram air setup right?

#130 ·
They both use the factory pipe, so the incoming air should be the same temperature, one just has a heat shield that like you said would help limit heat soak from the rest of the engine, it isnt like the air filter has moved and the air would be significantly colder. It would just be marginally colder. For $80 probably could built a heat shield.

Probably better to buy the ram and upgrade to the heat shield later if needed.

#141 ·
Forgive the (likely) stupid question...

Would this do anything to improve MPGs? Not that a few extra HP don't intrigue me, but a bolt-on that legitimately improves fuel economy would make it much harder to pass up.

#149 ·
yeah it does i didnt think it would be that loud haha its not too bad in first gear and 2nd gear is louder but 3rd-5th is loud but it gets extremely loud for me especially because i take the parkway to work and im going about 75 80...so im stuck in those rpms in 5th gear. i do like it though

#157 ·
70 mph should be 3007 rpm with the 5 speed manual and 15" tires on the s model, that works out to 42.96 rev/mph. With the 16" tires that brings the rpm at 70 mph down to 2958 or in other words 42.26 rev/mph. With the 17" wheels this would only theoretically get you down to 2934.5 rpm.

The DCT with its 6th gear is doing 2627 rpm at 70 mph with the 15" wheels or 381 rpm less than the manual with the 15" wheels. With the 16" wheels the car would be doing 2584 rpm at 70 mph or 374 rpm less than the manual car in 5th gear. The 17" and 18" wheels effectively have the same outer diameter and would result in an rpm at 70 mph of 2563 rpm. This is again a reduction in engine speed of 371.5 rpm.

This was calculated using the relationship between the road speed to the engine speed, factoring in the gear ratio, rolling radius of the tire, as well as the axle ratio, (which in the case of the dct there are actually two ratios, but since we were just focusing in on the rpm at 70 in my comparison it made the end math simpler even though I'd already gone and calculated all of the N/V ratios (engine speed divided by road speed using the following equation: 168*Ra*Rt/rr

Where 168 is a conversion factor that allowed me to use the English unit system of measurement with the rolling radius for the tire in inches, I did have a table to look these up based on the size of the oem tires used on the ford focus, and the gear ratio specifications from the ford media page.

From what I've heard this seems to fairly accurately calculate the engine speed at various road speeds if held constantly in one gear. Of course in the real world one would shift out of that gear if they felt the engine laboring too much or lugging too much.

#172 ·
Before everyone goes bezerk over Steeda's dyno sheet....I would like to know if the car they used was a manual or automatic and what gear the car was dyno'd in....and yes, there is a reason for this information as dyno numbers can be "skewed" to get better results, something Steeda is known for in the mustang world.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.