Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Clutch/Transmission Issue?

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  BlazeFocus 
#1 ·
New to the forum - been driving the ST for approximately 18k miles, less than a year old. Been a blast until now...

Now onto the problem - I recently noticed some shaking in first gear and the car was unable to resume cruise control after braking (the RPMs shoot up when I resume, then drop down, which is when the cruise control disengages; also, at highway speeds, i see the RPMs fluctuate between 2500 and 3000 RPMs when I'm generally in that range and am not depressing or releasing the accelerator). As to my driving habits - I've been babying this car from the beginning, trying to maximize mileage and I never downshift.

I took it into a Ford dealership and was finally told they think my clutch is worn down, but they won't know until they take the transmission apart. Imagine my surprise - even if I drove the car hard, I would think the clutch should be good for a lot longer, though I'm no mechanic... I also own a 2003 z06 which I've been driving for the past 10 years and have NEVER had a clutch issue.

On top of all that, I was told that if it's a worn clutch (and possibly flywheel), my warranty wouldn't cover any of the work. The cost to fix will be around 1200-1500 total depending on whether the flywheel needs to be replaced.

SO, what do you guys think? I was thinking about dropping the car off at the dealership tonight, so I need this to be fixed. I'm just baffled.

As a side note, I also took the car to a third party mechanic and he drove it around - because the shifting was still smooth and given the car is new and doesn't have much mileage on it, he doesn't think it can be the clutch.

Thanks

edit: i heard it could also be related to TSB 140007, though I can't pull up any details on that, so i'm not sure. ideas?

See less See more
#2 ·
First of all, the car has a 3 year 36,000 bumper to bumper warranty. If the dealership you are currently dealing with says that the work may not be covered by the warranty GO FIND A NEW DEALER. It is absolutely untrue that any potential clutch problem would not be covered under warranty considering the fact that you have so few miles on your car.

#5 ·
not covered... utter BS... as mentioned the car has a 3yr/30k warranty. the drive train has 5yr/60k miles... should be covered 100%... my dealer gave me a "loaner" while they worked on mine... speak with the service manager... also Todd (forum Ford Rep) may be able to help... he helped me out amazingly with my ford dealer...

#8 · (Edited)
not covered... utter BS... as mentioned the car has a 3yr/30k warranty. the drive train has 5yr/60k miles... should be covered 100%...

Clutch discs (like brake pads) are wear and tear items.
It may be replaced under warranty because of a defect.
It would likely not be covered under warranty in the case of abuse and/or excessive wear.

#6 ·
thanks for the replies so far.

the original dealer was helfman ford in sugar land. im going to have another ford dealership look at the car this friday and see what they say too.

no luck on the loaner car though at either dealership - i'll reach out to Todd to see if he can help out with anything. thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.