Mother's Power Plastic for Lights REVIEW - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Auto Washing, Detailing & Paint Protection

Auto Washing, Detailing & Paint Protection Discuss wax, polish, chamois, microfiber towels, simple cloth towel, scratch repair and paint protection. Use this Forum to discuss your cleaning tricks and techniques.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-18-2013, 07:01 PM   #1
calebstubstad
Chef Boyardee

Fan#: 103240
What I Drive: 2000 Atlantic Blue LX

FF Reputation: 4 calebstubstad Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Mother's Power Plastic for Lights REVIEW

Not sure if this is the right place for a product review, but it was my best guess, other than maybe general chat or detailing stuffs. anyways, mods, fix if you feel it's better somewhere else.

I bought my Machs a week or two ago now, and they were pretty beat up. I picked em up for 50 bucks off an old guy with a small dealership (like 6 cars), who just wanted em gone, because he didn't understand HIDs, and couldn't fix em. He thought maybe the bulb or ignitor was bad, but upon bringing home and tinkering for a good 90 minutes, I decided it was the ballast. (he ended up putting new reflector lights in for 90 bucks, when a new (used) ballast cost 35 on ebay.. SCORE ME) The lenses were pretty bad too, as they came off a 10ish year old car, this is how they looked

i worked on em (sanded 150, 220, 400, 1000 and automobile polish) for a few hours with a friend, and they came out like this

a complete turnaround if you ask me, but not good enough. since I was still not 100% happy with em, i researched awhile and realized no matter what, i'd need Lamin-x or something so they don't go back to that right away after being outside. i ended up finding this stuff, for like 8 bucks on amazon

the stuff claims to be a polish and protector all in one, and I can say at least for the first claim, boy is it ever. it says it'll solve the yellow without sanding at all, but from previously only going to 1000, there were some bat scratches still. so i also got some automotive paint grade detailing 1000, 1500, 2000, and 2500 grit sandpaper to use before the mothers stuff. after maybe 30 minutes of sanding combined, i used this stuff, a few times, and the final time i let it sit in a pretty thick layer (enough to be cloudy on the light) and let it dry a good 15 minutes. i then buffed out with a regular dish towel (clean of course) and got this.

almost crystal clear lenses if you ask me, and boy am I excited with em. this stuff is a great polish, and claims to be a UV protector too. I plan to follow directions and apply still once every month or so, at least in the summer, since i'm always parked outside. I will update this with the long term "protector" claim results, but either way, this stuff revived my Machs from dull and yellow to almost brand new looking, and for 8 bucks, is cheaper than any restoration kit you can buy.

Rally Revolution #43
[HOONIGAN]
Quote:
Originally Posted by matmatician View Post
Not the bear the zoo deserves, but the bear the zoo needs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 10:00 PM   #2
Red01Focus
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 40437
What I Drive: 2001 Infa Red SE

FF Reputation: 10 Red01Focus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (56)
i wish i had seen this soon, i picked up meguiars heavy duty kit but noticed after sanding i still had the yellow spots, i had another headlight that was kinda beat up with surnburn so i opted to sand at 800 because i though anything more course would be too harmful for the headlight. i did do a set of tail lights that were scuffed up with the kit and they came out crystal clear
SEDAN REVOLUTION #13
Old 03-19-2013, 11:23 PM   #3
calebstubstad
Chef Boyardee

i started with 150 on the machs to get everything off fast, then went to 220 and 400 and 1000 and so on. they turned out PERFECT after this stuff, it really does work
Rally Revolution #43
[HOONIGAN]
Quote:
Old 03-20-2013, 01:31 PM   #4
Red01Focus
Focus Fanatic

makes sense, did the headlights have crows feet? like the little cracks/lines in the lenses? how much time did you spend with each grit?
SEDAN REVOLUTION #13
Old 03-20-2013, 10:06 PM   #5
calebstubstad
Chef Boyardee

i don't think they had the crows feet? oh boy, well, the 150-1000 was all one night, like in the review, and that was probably 10 a piece, plus going back to 400 and 1000, then repolish, then 1000 again, another polish.

then with the 1000-2500, it was probably 5 a piece per grit, cause all the yellow was gone, just needed the polish more than anything. then used the stuff a few times, and they came out perfect!
Rally Revolution #43
[HOONIGAN]
Quote:
Old 03-21-2013, 01:39 AM   #6
Red01Focus
Focus Fanatic

crows feet(veins or looks like little cracks on the headlights) forgive me does piece mean a minute?
SEDAN REVOLUTION #13
Old 03-21-2013, 08:21 AM   #7
calebstubstad
Chef Boyardee

10 minutes per grit
Rally Revolution #43
[HOONIGAN]
Quote:

Bookmarks & Social Networks