Real World MPG - ST - Page 5 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST

Focus ST The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK3 2013-Current Focus ST.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-05-2014, 09:58 AM   #41
Kevon.Myers
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 179705
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black ST

Points 70, Level 1
Points: 70, Level: 1 Points: 70, Level: 1 Points: 70, Level: 1
Level Up 40% Completed
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Kevon.Myers Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
My daily commute is pretty boring (not much area to have fun with the car) so i try to get the best mpg possible and I can average about 36 when I baby it. This is prolly 80% hwy cruising at 65. After work and on the weekends I have a rather hard time keeping my foot off the throttle and I do less hwy, driving it hard Im getting around 28 give or take.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2014, 07:20 PM   #42
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 101658
What I Drive: 2014 SGM SE Sport Pkg Sedan 5sp-man

Points 710, Level 14
Points: 710, Level: 14 Points: 710, Level: 14 Points: 710, Level: 14
Level Up 10% Completed
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 11 Arco-Zakus Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty1977 View Post
This is true. I still don't understand why people think the gallons added method is more accurate.
If I understand correctly what you mean by "the gallons added method", I believe its accuracy advantage is that it does not rely on the fuel gauge at all.

The quantities that have to be measured to calculate fuel mileage are the miles driven and the amount of fuel used. The car's odometer provides the miles (probably with reasonable accuracy) and the gas pumps measure the fuel. Variations from one pump/nozzle to another and/or technique used (nozzle position in filler, flow rate when it clicks), etc. are the reason for inaccurate results with that method.

The measurement you did was to use the fuel gauge to compare the amount of fuel indicated between two different pumps. In that case, the difference could be due either to an actual difference between the pumps or an imprecise indication by the guage, or a combination of the two. Different problem.

Last edited by Arco-Zakus; 09-01-2014 at 09:06 PM. Reason: fix typo
Old 08-15-2014, 08:57 PM   #43
slow-cus
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 43472
Points 181, Level 3
Points: 181, Level: 3 Points: 181, Level: 3 Points: 181, Level: 3
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 slow-cus Good Standing Member
With a real conscious effort to keep a light foot, I seem to get around 27 - 29 mpg. This is with a 70/30 mix of freeway/city driving. I determine this based on the trip odo and the fuel pumped at the fill-up at E, which has been roughly 10 - 10.5 gallons with ~280 miles on the trip. I've lately been running 93 octane, and it seems the number is now closer to 27. This is with light acceleration, frequently coasting in gear - foot off gas ( helps quite significantly), and 4th-to-6th shifts. Obviously, biggest hits in my distance comes with alot of small, stop and go errands. I have had a Green filter since owning the vehicle, but recently installed the FRPP Cold Air Snorkle. I plan to try 87 again, as I was able to get 30 - 31 mpg ( ~ 300 miles ) between fill-ups with similar driving. I really do wish the tank on this car was one or two gallons more so I could get 300 miles with less effort for my normal driving. Again, this car isn't a gas hog by a long measure, but I'm coming from a ZX3, and I could drive the heck out of that car and get 300 miles out of it before I even thought about needing to get gas. The ST, I baby it and still run it to the fuel light to get 300. I know, I know, I am still nit-picking a great car...you "pay to play"...and the ST has granted me 120 HP and 4 second faster 0-60 over the trusty ZX3.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:10 AM   #44
G.O.Joe
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 176161
What I Drive: 2014 SE Hatch, Race Red

Points 83, Level 1
Points: 83, Level: 1 Points: 83, Level: 1 Points: 83, Level: 1
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 0 G.O.Joe Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty1977 View Post
This is true. I still don't understand why people think the gallons added method is more accurate.
gallons added has nothing to do with your fuel gauge. You go by miles driven and gallons added. fuel gauge doesn't come into play at all. As long as the pump shuts off at the same fuel level (and it's typically inside the fuel filler neck so you're not going to have a large volume difference between pumps), and you don't top off, you'll get accurate numbers.

My very variable Jeep Wrangler's fuel shutoff was giving me very consistent 17.5 mpg figures filling up every couple days with a 60 mile one-way commute. I can't imagine a brand new Focus giving me less consistent shutoffs.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:14 AM   #45
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Points 24,671, Level 95
Points: 24,671, Level: 95 Points: 24,671, Level: 95 Points: 24,671, Level: 95
Level Up 33% Completed
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
My FoST is somewhere in the low 20's because my gf doesn't go very far, it's mostly all in-town, and I don't think she's ever out of boost. Maybe she never shifts...but she definitely doesn't lift.

My FiST is getting whatever is in my sig lifetime, but tanks vary depending on wether I'm data-logging and flogging versus driving like a normal person.
2014 FiST-
Old 09-03-2014, 10:39 PM   #46
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '14 Tangerine Scream ST3

Points 13,747, Level 76
Points: 13,747, Level: 76 Points: 13,747, Level: 76 Points: 13,747, Level: 76
Level Up 25% Completed
Level up: 25% Level up: 25% Level up: 25%
Forum Activity 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%
FF Reputation: 15 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
A comment about shift points.
My 3 year old Se sport manual tranny,
I shift from first gear at about 2K
second gear 2K
Third gear i can shift at about 1,700rpm
Fourth gear is good from 25 mph to 31mph.
At 31mph i shift into fifth gear.
This is city driving.
I can get an average of 31mph driving like this all city.

I have an ST on order. The demo I drove I got 30mpg on the dashboard resetting it on the freeway, and then driving back city streets 20 miles total.
Part of the way i was getting into boost, then part i was trying hard to drive granny style. Several long lights helped to ruin the easy cruise.
But still 30 mpg on a brand new car.
So I look forward to see my actualy MPG on a ST over time.

PS the ST could go even lower shift points than the SE. I do not know exactly as i have not had time to play with it.
But driving at 30mph in 5th would be a no brainer.
I bet 35 in sixth is doable.
Then sticking to 55mph on the freeway in sixth... maybe 50mph.. Remember I AM an old granny.. (with short bursts up to 150...LOL)

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.