Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2013 Ford Focus Transmission

233K views 901 replies 169 participants last post by  mr_cassandra 
#1 ·
I would like the 2013 owners to chip in and tell us your transmission experiences.

#2 ·
I got my car last Tuesday. I have 800 miles on it, about 50/50 highway city I would say. Maybe a bit more on the highway/country road side. 65/35?

Anyhoo. At around 150-300 mi I had some shuddering. It seems to have gotten better as I haven't had it happen again as often. Just once the other day but it was just lumpy all around that was weird. Didn't happen after that.

I usually just drive in D
I've putted around town for a short amount of time in S and played with the shifty buttons including downshifting to slow down for a short while too

#3 ·
We have two new 2013 SE's - one with the 201A option. They both have the Power Shift gearbox. We love the cars but have found the gearbox to still have some hesitation/stumbling in the low gears - first and second - but not all the time. You can also hear some clatter from the clutches (I presume) from time to time - particularly at low speed, during cornering - but not real loud. The gearbox seems to be improved from the issues reported for 2012 models. We understand the concept of the auto manual and it may be that driving style can help - we found that using the throttle will smooth out stumbling. However, it is a concern and surprising that Ford would take to market an unperfected concept like the Power Shift gearbox - especially from one year to the next. This is my tenth Ford in a row as a daily driver and I have faithfully stood by the brand. Time will tell how we feel about these cars and what we consider for the future.

#11 ·
We have two new 2013 SE's - one with the 201A option. They both have the Power Shift gearbox. We love the cars but have found the gearbox to still have some hesitation/stumbling in the low gears - first and second - but not all the time. You can also hear some clatter from the clutches (I presume) from time to time - particularly at low speed, during cornering - but not real loud. The gearbox seems to be improved from the issues reported for 2012 models. We understand the concept of the auto manual and it may be that driving style can help - we found that using the throttle will smooth out stumbling. However, it is a concern and surprising that Ford would take to market an unperfected concept like the Power Shift gearbox - especially from one year to the next. This is my tenth Ford in a row as a daily driver and I have faithfully stood by the brand. Time will tell how we feel about these cars and what we consider for the future.
(emphasis added on key point)

It's interesting they fixed issues in the 2012 model, but did not support 2012 owners by retrofitting what must obviously be legitimate issues since you claim they were fixed in the 2013 model. But which specific issues would those be? (e.g. the blender noise almost everyone seems to get...)

Thanks for the post!

#6 ·
It might be simpler than the DCT, but at the same time that lack of a second overdrive ratio really hurts fuel economy at higher speeds (i.e. above 55 mph). The DCT equipped car with the 16" wheels is turning over at around 2600 rpm at 70 mph, the 5MT car with the same 16" wheels is turning over 3000 rpm at 70 mph, or 374 more revolutions per minute, and the gap only increases at higher speeds.

It might be old and dependable, but the gear ratios on the 5MT were essentially the same as my old 1994 Geo Prizm LSI 1.6 L. But that car weighed in at close to 570 or more pounds lighter than the new one, ergo it would be easier on gas in the city than the newer car.

#12 ·
Does 2013 ST comes with the same DCT? If so, then this transmission should be strong enough to put up with STs torque. Also, I know that in Europe Ford Focus 3 comes with 140hp 2.0 Diesel engine with almost twice as more torque than gasoline engine - and they have the same Powershift transmission. I'm implying that this transmission is manual after all (without any torque convertors) and should be strong enough to withstand heavy duty usage. On the other hand - it really seems to be delicate on slow speeds - seems to me that is more software issue than anything else?

#14 ·
No, the ST is only available with a 6 speed manual transmision, no automatic or DCT available. Only the wet clutch variant could handle the torque but that version is limited to Europe and the rest of the world.

#15 ·
We have a 12 SE sedan and a 13 SE sedan. Only difference i can feel and hear is the 2013 when you slow down to a stop the idle stays at 1000 rpm then drops to normal idle. The 12 ( early Dec. 2011 build has not been updated ) does not do this. The 13 seems to be smoother when you make a rolling almost stop then go again. The 1000 rpm seems to make the difference. Both have been quiet and smooth from day 1.

Not sent from .................[smackbum]

#18 ·
Good points. Putting aside the low gear and low speed symptoms mentioned earlier, once the DCT goes beyond second gear it works very well. It is very good at highway speeds from 70 to 80 mph. No problems whatsoever and the RPMs are below 3000 when crusing at those speeds. The car is well designed, engineered and built. The DCT is still somewhat quirky in the low gears but it seems better than what most folks experienced with the 2012s. Time will tell how it works out...

#19 · (Edited)
I have a 2013 Focus Titanium with 1300 miles and no major DCT issues or complaints.

In fact, I like the DCT. It creeps forward and backwards like a conventional automatic and on hills, it doesn't drop back like a manual. S mode is great if you want it to hold revs or just want to accelerate faster. From a stop, if you're really light on the throttle, it can be jerky from 1st to 2nd but if you drive normally or have a lead foot, it's smooth and there is no power loss between shifts. If you accelerate, lift off, accelerate and repeat, you can trick it and it can be jerky but no one should be driving like that. At low speeds, it can "rattle" a tiny bit but it's not bothersome and completely normal. My 2011 Mazda3's DI engine rattled more. I've averaged about 27-29 mpg city driving and I've got about 38 mpg on the highway.

#23 ·
#24 ·
Blender Noise

Sitting here reading about that crummy tranny Ford Stuck in the Focus, Stop It ! I have 6800 miles on my 12 Focus SE Sport and 1 Time around 1500 2000 miles it bucked like a Standard shift as if I wasn,t giving it enough fuel and I just nailed it to the floor. The blamed thing squatted and took off, And thats when I fell in Love with this little car. Oncet you get up there around 3500 mile or so some sure won,t take that long it will smooth out as it use to your driving style. Had a 04 Dakota 4.7 Sport that did the same thing, But back to the Focus, Just a HOOT to drive. And that 2.0 Eco Boost motor is fabulous.

[ffrocks][ffrocks][loveff][loveff]

#28 ·
Sitting here reading about that crummy tranny Ford Stuck in the Focus, Stop It ! I have 6800 miles on my 12 Focus SE Sport and 1 Time around 1500 2000 miles it bucked like a Standard shift as if I wasn,t giving it enough fuel and I just nailed it to the floor. The blamed thing squatted and took off, And thats when I fell in Love with this little car. Oncet you get up there around 3500 mile or so some sure won,t take that long it will smooth out as it use to your driving style. Had a 04 Dakota 4.7 Sport that did the same thing, But back to the Focus, Just a HOOT to drive. And that 2.0 Eco Boost motor is fabulous.

[ffrocks][ffrocks][loveff][loveff]
Whaaaaa?????

Anyway, I've got 20,000 miles on mine and it feels like I'm riding a mechanical bull every time I pull away from a stop light. Just because yours works doesn't mean there is no problem with others.

#31 ·
My dealer told me that he didn’t replace the clutch but that there was (allegedly) a PCM update. I’m guessing that he probably just re-flashed the old update.

Ugh. [bawling] I can afford to replace the clutch myself, but it’s the principle that I don’t think I should have to considering I’ve been complaining about clutch issues for over a year. Not to mention I’ll need a car. Maybe I’ll just do it during my “vacation.”

EDIT: Just told the guy sitting next to me to buy the new Subaru and not an ST. Boomsauce. (It's not about the cars; the cars that work are great. It's about Ford making me jump through hoops to get things fixed... and still not fixing them.)

#32 ·
my dealer told me that he didn’t replace the clutch but that there was (allegedly) a pcm update. I’m guessing that he probably just re-flashed the old update.

Ugh. [bawling] i can afford to replace the clutch myself, but it’s the principle that i don’t think i should have to considering i’ve been complaining about clutch issues for over a year. Not to mention i’ll need a car. Maybe i’ll just do it during my “vacation.”

edit: Just told the guy sitting next to me to buy the new subaru and not an st. Boomsauce. (it's not about the cars; the cars that work are great. It's about ford making me jump through hoops to get things fixed... And still not fixing them.)
+1....

#35 ·
Got a 2013 SE hatch. The first 300 miles were freakin horrible. I figured it was just the price to pay for good mileage. Hesitation, dead throttle areas, shuddering from a stop. After 300 miles, the hesitation and dead throttle got incredibly better, but still have the shuddering at 1000 miles. Before the other thread started ("Think I figured out the shuddering...."), I did try turning off the traction control and noticed the shuddering went away. Big props to the OP of that thread for bringing it to everyone's attention.
So, only based on my own experience, looks like some of the '13s might still have the "Traction Control Shudder" (new TCS for short)
Waiting for a software update.

#36 ·
Update:
Had the DCT in "traction off" mode two days ago (trying to impress my girlfriend with the smooth takeoff from stops), and while leaving a traffic light, the damn thing bucked like a manual that you forgot to push in the clutch coming to a stop. Coffee in hand would be on the floor. This was taking off from a standstill and not pushing it hard, either. Maybe that was my mistake (not flooring it). Another time the same day, the trans rattled as if you were in a manual trans car in first gear at very low speed and you loaded, unloaded, loaded, unloaded the drivetrain a little as fast as you could with the throttle. Mostly a gear backlash noise. Very random happening as the ride to work today was flawless. One difference between the bucking day and today is the bucking day had more stop and go driving which must have heated up the trans and clutches.

#40 ·
Well, it's been a tad over a week since I picked up my '13

I have 1078 miles and no shudder. Somewhere in the middle around 200-400mi it did shudder gently on take off but it smoothed out after the 600mi mark. Been buttery smooth since then.
However I can get it to jerk a hard shift if I randomly romp on the gas and get it to rip through 1st then slam into 2nd but that's to be expected.. it's not a traditional auto

#43 ·
I can't decide between a 2013 Focus or a Mazda3 touring, I mean, I like the Focus design a lot more but threads about transmission problems pop up here everyday. I think that what worries me even more are the uncaring dealers and the lack of solutions coming from Ford. Makes my head hurt. [scratch]

#44 ·
Coming from an early build with transmission nightmares, a 2013 Focus will probably be fine. But if you do ever run into issues... may God have mercy on your soul.

#50 ·
The car does have some because racecar. But like a woman it sometimes needs "encouragement" to get going.[driving][burnout]

Also running the car with the air box lid off is very fun experience.

My transmission was quite unrefined @ first after the first little bit the transmission improved beyond words.

The car is a very fun drive and btw the K/N drop in for this car is worth the money.

My advice is drive the car hard @ first, have some fun it and it will treat you right. [:D]

#51 ·
Hey gang,

Congratulations to those of you who are rockin' out in new 2013s! If you have any issues or concerns, I'm happy to step in and see how I can assist. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, and daytime contact number; I'll start investigating.

Have a great day!
Crystal [wave]

#53 ·
I got the DCT automatic in my '13 SE....wthout powershift.....Other then a little shutter if you take off a tad to fast, like you'd expect from a manual transmission if aren't smooth with the clutch, I haven't had a drop of problem with the transmission, no noises, nothing. However, I have adjusted to driving it and it rarely does it now. I currently have a little over 750 miles on the car.

#54 ·
I have 2013 Focus S, bought it about two weeks ago. I hear loud clunk/metal rattle noise from transmission at low speeds and sometimes its really loud. I took the car in for service twice already and they advised me to put more miles on the car. As of now i have about 750+ miles on it and it still rattles.

#55 ·
Can anyone tell me what's the difference in the DCT on a 2013? When I was buying my brand new 2012 Built date 04/26/2012 I test drove a 2013 model built date 08/07/2012 as well and I didn't feel any difference what's so ever. They felt exactly the same, that's why I decided to go for the 2012 since it was way cheaper.

#56 ·
There is no mechanical difference at least as far as what has been announced publicly, and so far the latest software is also from around the march or april time frame (at least as far as TSB vs the car as built.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.