Focus Fanatics Forum banner

finally starting my journey to 450whp

64K views 686 replies 26 participants last post by  focusmaniaczx3 
#1 ·
EDIT: im editing this to give a quick hopefully short summary of what i want out of this thread. i would like some help finding some things and maybe learn some things.
i would like to locate a billet oil pump gear for high revs like what CFM had. unfortunately CFM no longer sells those. if you have a lead please tell me
cheap vband waste gates around 46mm.
somebody should sponsor me since im going to be at the track alot! that means give me $$$!!!! lol joking?
im getting the borgwarner/bullseye s258 unless you know of something better
i need intake manifold options other than topspeed. i dont like theirs.
what EXACTLY do i need for a return fuel system? cheapest way to do it? i know very little about this other than that it needs to be done.
help me with pick out a clutch. i want to spend under $700 for one to hold 450whp/tq every day and maybe 50-75 dyno pulls ONLY (no track or street) at 600whp during its life. no twin disk unless it can last for at least 25k-30k miles.
teach me about anti-lag. ya know? shooting massive fireballs out the tail pipe and making lots of racket. can it be done with the focus?
help me hook up (traction)
help me locate wheels that look like SVT 5 spokes but are at least 8 inches wide or wider that will fit under rolled/slightly flared fenders without rubbing when turning. a rub when bottoming out the suspension is completely acceptable.

now you can read the rest of the post if you want. i think its funny because i typed it up while jacked up out of my gord on sleeping pills and nyquil and i will ramble horribly when i get on here in that state.

well i always like getting input. i have a thread basically asking how to get to 450whp. i know how now and im going for it and i will be at least part of the way there in about a month or two, God willing. this thread will serve as a bit of a documentary i guess. im going to take lots and lots of before and after pics and ill see if some can maybe get snapped during the process as well. unfortunately i wont be present for the build since this is being done a few states away.

a certain somebody is going to have possession of my car for a little while to fabricate a brand new type of turbo kit for the zetec and duratec focus. in the process he is going to do a complete rebuild for me to get the engine in shape to handle the power. at the very least i will be sitting on between 300 and 330whp when he is done.

the main issue is going to be coming up with all the $$$ i need between now and then. which is why i am now accepting all donations! im just joking about donations unless you just feel compelled to give your money away or you want to sponsor me. i have no problem with putting a few bigass stickers on my car for some help getting this thing done. it WILL be at the track quite a bit..... just saying. anyhow back to serious stuff.

im going to need a bigger turbo than the turbonetics super60 that i currently have which will set me back quite a bit along with a return fuel system. i am also in a fuzz over the intake manifold. sorry but i just dont like topspeed's manifold. they are overpriced and i dont like the idea of a partially plastic manifold under high boost. that being said i know the stock manifold can take over 400whp/tq worth of boost so i might stick with it until/if it busts.

for turbo, i am currently leaning in the direction of the bullseye s256 or s258. or call it a borg warner [eek] unless someone has a cheaper turbo that can make the same power and be as reliable. i still want to crest 600whp on race gas occasionally hence the need/want for such a big one. that might run be around $1300.

im still open to any and all suggestions for what clutch to run. i DO NOT want to spend $1200 for the twin disk clutchmasters unless somebody can prove to me beyond a shadow of a doubt that im going to be able to squeeze at least 25k miles out of it. i know im about to spend a crap ton of money but it doesnt make me any less cheap. i want to get a lot of mileage out of this thing if at all possible. if i can find a $500 ish clutch that will hold 450whp/tq on a day to day basis and MIGHT hold 600ishwhp on a dyno once or twice every few months that would be preferred. for the record i have been known to dream from time to time.

open for input on BOV and WG too. im going to try the greddy type RS BOV and see if it works out for now since i already have it. ill probably buy a precision 46mm vband waste gate unless somebody knows of a vband WG that will do the job for cheaper. im looking at $315 for the WG just FYI.

i have not got a clue in the world what intercooler is being used. i am quite curious about that since unless im mistaken the master fabricator doing all of this wonderfulness is providing it.

the rest is pretty standard stuff. eagle rods, supertech pistons 8:7:1 compression i think with a big overbore to make sure the block is ship shape. i look at it like this. you may say that i shouldnt bore the block out all the way because i wont be able to bore it out any more in the future if it needs to be cleaned up for any reason. well i say that if something happens where i need to get the block cleaned up again then picking up another junk yard block for $100 wont be an issue. ill be using all arp fasteners obviously, stock head unless the machine shop that is going to get my head and block cleaned up can do some P&P and a 3/5 angle for a little extra. the head will get a rebuild, new timing set, water pump, every gasket will get replaced.

unfortunately i will NOT be using the c-f-m oil pump since they dont have any more and i seriously doubt i will stumble across one in the next month. but if somebody somehow has a lead on one of those boogers then for goodness sake please tell me! i want it bad!

i already have a torsen LSD. really wish i would have spent the extra coin at the time and had a quaife installed instead but oh well. we will see if it holds, i plan on running slicks. [shameful]

and speaking of track stuff. anti-lag... anybody have anything to say about that? the whole deal where you stick the car in gear, clutch pedal to the floor, mash the gas pedal to the floor, make lots of racket, shoot flames out the tail pipe, build boost, and then take off like a bat out of hell. whats up with that? can we even do that with a zetec? if so then how? i dont even think i know for sure how its supposed to work.

im also open for suggestions on techniques for hooking up. i think there's going to be lots of spinning in my future but i would at least like to try and cut back on wheel hop if at all possible. what can i do for that?

and this car isnt going to be a super comfy really quick daily driver im afraid. im going to gut it. sorry but i have the SVT to be comfortable in. the only things staying in the interior will be the dash, maybe center console, racing seat for driver, stock seat on the passenger side only for when someone wants a ride along, the radio, 2 front door speakers, and i might even go wild and run a infinity minisub in the back. what? i like my tunes! and any interior braces i can find to stiffen the car up without going to a roll cage unless i can find one that i dont have to climb through to get into the car. ill probably even remove the roof liner.

dont know for sure what wheels and tires im going to run yet but the ugly boogers i have now just aint gonna happen. 17x7 wont help either. what i would REALLY like to do would be to find some 5 spoke SVT wheels to run in back and some 5 spoke 17/16x8 SVT replica wheels with a 40-45 et on radials up front. i found some 16x8 svt cobra replicas but the only offset available is 15 and 25 that i could find and i dont like that look. they need to be tucked. i refuse to have tires bugging out of the fenderwells looking like a [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] unless im running slicks at the track. if anyone has a lead on anything like what im looking for please let me know. otherwise i might just run some team dynamics 17x8's or wider if i can get them to fit well if i cant find some SVT 5 spoke style wheels like i want. either way i guess i need to get a front wheel off and take measurements to see what is the absolute widest tire i can run and tuck with some mild fender rolling/flaring without rubbing the shock in the front. im going to need the traction!

as far as appearances go im going to put the car in black primer sometime before i take it down and i may leave it that way. i like flat black. it will either be flat black or factory red. im going to stick with the roush front bumper, cobra style hood, and roush back bumper. i dont know about the wings west side skirts, those might have to go but we will see. im also sticking with the roush top wing. i will never run a mid-wing again though. been there, done that, thought it looked stupid. i may change out headlights and tail lights at some point if i cant stand not fiddling with it in the coming months. it might make me nuts just being "done" with my little zx3. ive always been fiddling with it but after i hit my power goal i dont think there is much of anything else for me to do other than get rid of the MTX for a lentech ATX, get a much bigger turbo and shoot for tom's old drag car record. but that would pretty much turn it into a track only car at that point so i dont know if that will ever happen or not. we will just have to wait and see if guess. only time will tell. i will update as things progress, this should be pretty epic you guys! especially when this thing is done and you see pictures of my car before hand so you can see what i started with, how far it fell, and then how far it came thanks to a guy in alabama. and in case you are wondering i have been mysterious about this man's identity for a reason. i dont know if he is ready to step into the light just yet or not but im sure if he is he will pop in here with a few words after he spends the next month reading this book i just wrote.

and on that note let me finish this epic post with this... i really gotta stop getting on this forum after work in the mornings AFTER downing 2 shots of nyquil and sleeping pills. unfortunately if i didnt do it then i would never have time to get on here. wish me luck gentlemen, the race is on!

[hatchet]

See less See more
#162 ·
Very interested to see what Turbo Turtle set's up.. I want to boost the svt as well at one point and if its anything quality wise like your v8 conversion.. id be a customer.

#163 ·
thanks. quality will be better than my v8. ive stepped up the welding and material game quite a bit since then. hope i can build you a kit some day

#164 ·
And im still kicking myself for missing out on that v8 you built. Still makes me sick thinking about it. Think you will ever do another one?

#165 ·
http://www.034motorsport.com/fuel-i...nclosed-fp34-044-fuel-surge-tank-p-21527.html

would this fit the bill for a surge setup? its only a 1 liter so im concerned about the possibility of draining it. if i did the math right i think this would be everything i need for a surge setup minus the lines and maybe some additional AN fittings for $585. somehow i think i could piece together my own for less but since i have not gotten around to actively searching for deals on bits and pieces that MAY be a good deal as far as i know. my future brother in-law texted me that link earlier so i figured i would throw it out there if nothing else. i like how flexible you can be with mounting that setup though. horizontally or vertically and it still wont starve the pump. its pretty small too so it can go just about anywhere.

#166 ·
the volume of that one is all i would worry about. im going to be pricing one today to see what i can come up with.

something like this is what i was looking to build. just one pump though

and no i will never do another v8 focus. i will do another v8 swap though. on my miata

Tim

#168 ·
what do you mean the only way? what is wrong with doing a surge setup? dont start worrying me now!

ive toyed with the idea of dumping a carbed 302 into a early 90s model miata for years. it would be easy enough to do it think. hardest part would be fabricating some solid motor mounts and a custom length driveshaft and maybe cutting a rear end, none of which would be that bad. however you will understand when we meet up that this would never work out for me... when i drive miatas it has to be with the top down and sunglasses/goggles on with my head above the windshield lol! too bad, because i LOVE those fun little boogers

#169 ·
they make nice stuff but there is nothing wrong with building a set up. there are hundreds of sti's with surge tanks built by lots of different people. as long as you use quality parts and the tank is mounted and built well there is nothing wrong with building one

i would never use an old engine like a 5.0. the stock bp will make more power with out braking then that engine lol

Tim

#170 ·
^ I agree with turtle power. The setup will work great as long as you use quality parts, it's a simple setup. But the one that Roush showed is a ungodly over kill since no focus is making 1400hp. Hell the highest hp focus is like 630whp which still blows my mind but hey records are meant to be broken. ;-P

#171 ·
actually there are a couple in the 1700hp range if memory serves that are all out drag cars and tom built one several years ago that was a street legal drag car that made 735whp.

and whats wrong with an old 302? cheap to build, make good power, and they hold together great when built right. and you cant beat a carbed engine for simplicity when doing an engine swap.

#172 ·
lol its overkill but its sick. and if i still had my focus i wouldnt be messing around with gas anymore i would be on e85 making more power then i did. need alot of pump for e85 thats why i posted that one :)

#175 ·
what am i proving? high horsepower 302 that lasts damn near forever or high HP zetecs? i wont be able to find a link to the 1700hp ones since its been so many years since they were done but as far as tom's 735whp car you can simply ask him yourself. the car actually made well over that in power at one point but he "discovered" that the most he could safely make without snapping the crank was around 735whp lol

and i really like the idea of running e85 but jesus christ the size of the injectors you would have to run to make it work! what size injectors would i need to make 450 on e85? what size for 600? the injectors alone would cost so much that it would probably be cheaper to just buy a bigger turbo LOL

#182 ·
ok here is my check list to make sure that i have EVERYTHING that i need for this build before i come down to alabama.
clevite OE size rod and main bearings
eagle rods
supertech pistons
all gaskets for the entire engine top and bottom end along with valve stem seals. do i need freeze plugs?
turbonetics super60
greedy type rs bov
turbonetics evolution 2 bolt 35mm waste gate with vband to 2 bolt adapter
kenne bell boost a pump
complete timing set, new belt, tensioner, idlers, water pump, oil pump
ARP rod bolts, main studs, head studs, and flywheel bolts

i STILL need to pick out a clutch. im all to pieces about what clutch to snag. i could simplify things alot by simply getting the twin disk but im still being a jew about it and trying to find something that will hold the torque for cheaper. if anybody knows of a clutch that will handle it please tell me.

i think thats everything. the turbo, WG, and BAP are temporary. they will stick with the car for a month or so until im convinced the engine/clutch are broken in well at which point ill put the big turbo, WG, and whatever fueling solution i decide on in the car myself. if there is anything that i have overlooked AT ALL please tell me. i want this done completely and right on the first try with no overnight scrambles trying to get a part that i forgot about.

#183 ·
the machine shop i use will put new freeze plugs in for you as part of the vat cleaning

there is a 3" exhaust in the fs section right now if you wanna pick that up, you'll need 3 for your goals and he has a good price on it shipped.

the clutch will depend on your goal. an 6 puck clutchmaster will get you your 450whp but will not hold for 600. pretty much your only option for that is the clutch jim used, he tried different clutches for a while until he got the right one.

Tim

#184 ·
yeah thats what i was afraid of... jim ended up with the twin disk lol

no worries about exhaust. for the time being im going to run the 2.5inch that i currently have and sometime soon after i get the car back i will get a local shop to fab up some custom 3inch for me and i will make a slight change and run an electric exhaust cutout either in between the down pipe and flex pipe or after the flex pipe if there isnt enough space before the flex. i want to try and keep the car sorta kinda quiet if i can.

i made an offer on that exhaust a few months ago and he shot it down. he is now selling it for less than i offered however my local shop can fabricate mandrel bent exhaust and he wont charge me more than $100 for flex back and i already have 3 inch mufflers i can use soooo negative to puddin head's exhaust.

so is there anything at all that you can think of that im missing from my list at this point besides exhaust and clutch?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.