Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2013 Escape

6K views 35 replies 23 participants last post by  Twenty 
#1 ·
Hello -- I was wondering if we might be able to add a section for 2013 Escape owners, since the chassis and many parts are shared between the third generation Focus and the new Escape.

The new Escapes have started shipping this week, after a minor setback where 3,500 Escapes got damaged on April 28th by a hail storm where they are built in Louisville, KY. They have so many in the initital batch/hold/inspect they are storing some off site in a nearby arena parking lot.

I have a new Escape on order and there isn't a forum as active and informative as this one. I would think there would be alot of common information shared and discussed between the 2 vehicles.

Thanks for the consideration.

#4 ·
Aside from sharing a platform, the 2 are very different.

Escape uses 3 completely different engines. The only similarities will be after the Focus ST gets here, even then the Escape's 2.0 will be tuned differently.

The transmissions are different as well...

#12 ·
Our first few we have are all order units so it'll be a while before I can drive one but I really like what they've done with it.

My better half has a 2012 and she dislikes the 2013, she wants an Edge when the lease is up.

If plates wern't so expensive I would rock an Escape Titanium but I'll pay $800 to license it.

Maybe a Focus would be in order in 2 yrs.

#14 ·
I am shocked Ford didn't just call it the Focus Allroad and called it a day.

#18 ·
Mine was ordered about 6 weeks ago. I special ordered it identical to my 2012 Focus Titanium in White Platinum with every available option. I was trying to get the first ST in the country but when I saw the 2.0L Eco-Boost with HID lighting, corner lighting, AWD (to get that power to the group) and all the space . . I was hooked.

It's been built and will be shipping in the next week. Should arrive the first week of September.

I'm excited to see what Ford has done.

#22 ·
I just dropped of the new Escape SEL that I had as rental for 2 weeks and it's pretty nice but I'll keep my 2012 FF Ti HB. The gas mileage looks to average about 26mpg which isn't bad for an SUV but about 10mpg less than my FF. The performance at lower rpm is actually pretty decent and the turbo seems to works pretty smoothly.

The one thing that was annoying was a very bad creak/squeak in the drivers seat. Every little bump or dip and the seat would just creak/squeak away.

The one I had also had the auto-dimming mirror and it also seems to have the drooping problem just like the FF.

Brian

#23 ·
I'm not going to take away from anyone who already has one, but cars like the Escape are why we don't get the Focus and Fusion wagons.

Wagons that offer more room and are more economical and looks a million times better but the North American mentality is to buy bigger vehicles. Vehicles that can't even off road so the entire point of having one is invalidated.

#24 ·
I think it's more a matter of North American mentality. A high percentage of the population here would never buy a station wagon. American's, for the most part, want "strong" "tough" vehicles and unfortunately do not see the value of wagons like some of us do.

This mentality has also contributed to the decline in minivan sales in the last decade. I've had a minivan as a rental for the last 26 days and can't wait for this thing to be out of my driveway. Regardless of how nice the room is there is something in me (American) that screams against it every time I see it.

#27 ·
Why?

It's one of the last true SUVs. Hell, the military still uses more of them, the side effect is that they sell enough to consumers to make it viable.

#35 ·
Was wondering if anyone else with the auto dim mirror on the 2013 Escape notices after a few days that you have to adjust it back up to the correct height to see out the rear window? I experienced this on my 2012 Focus with the auto dim mirror too, and thought it was my imagination or difference of height in the morning, but now some people here are reporting it too. Suprising if Ford knew it was an issue on the Focus, how the same issue is now happening in the 2013 Escape. Wonder if that's why they deleted the auto dim mirror on the 2013 Focus?

I figured I would say something the next time I go in for service, but would be nice if Ford had a TSB or if other people here report the same issue, as it will be hard for the technician to duplicate since you have to drive it for a few days. Must be a design flaw with the supplier of that mirror. This is the first time I have experienced this in a vehicle, and many of my vehicles have had auto dim mirrors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.