Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Removing active grille shutters

42K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  Miller88 
#1 ·
So I've been reading a lot of posts around here regard Foci overheating and having weak A/C and it dawned on me that the problem may lie with the grille shutters. A lot of people also seem to think that a problem with the DCT is that the clutches can't handle excess heat well. Has anyone here tried removing the shutters? Besides a dip in fuel economy would it cause any other problems? I can't imagine the car overheating because they were removed, unless that somehow messes with the programming of the other cooling components.

#2 ·
The shutters appear to still be wide open most of the time in town, as well as when with the a/c on the shutters are supposed to be open for cooling purposes.

If it was really that detrimental why would they fit them?

Although I can say my ST doesn't seem to have nearly as cold an air conditioning as my SEL did even though both had the exact same grille shutter system and more than likely the same condenser.

#4 ·
The shutters appear to still be wide open most of the time in town, as well as when with the a/c on the shutters are supposed to be open for cooling purposes.
Ah, I was unaware of the fact that they were always open during a/c use, never mind.[goofydrunk] I really just wanted a second opinion, I wasn't really serious about doing this under warranty anyway. It just strikes me as odd that someone would design something to block air from getting to the radiator- which is kind of important.

The air conditioning is weak because the car uses a small compressor to boost gas mileage. Nothing to do with grill shutters.
Guess I'm just spoiled then, my mid 90's Caddy would give you frostbite if you had the AC on max. Of course on an old luxo-barge, being eco friendly was of least importance. Maybe I'll just get the charge checked to see if something is wrong there.

#3 ·
Removing them seems a bit much.
Before that, try disconnecting them. They are run by the computer, and should have a default open setting.
If you try disconnecting them it will certainly set a code. and it may even send your engine into default 'limp' mode!
Anyway better to find out BEFORE you start ripping them off.

The air conditioning is weak because the car uses a small compressor to boost gas mileage. Nothing to do with grill shutters.

I have read only a few posts about overheating.. Not enough to make me even think about a drastic step like taking out the shutters.

One other way you could resolve you desire is to trim the shutter flap so they can open and close but do nothing because you cut off the flaps on the rods.
That would allow the computer to think they are still there.. Though ??? If the computer will set a code because the shutters do nothing..??

I have not had any issues with either air or overheat.

#5 ·
The a/c compressor isn't that small, although if the system is slightly over or under charged the efficiency drops off. Not sure if it was just because I tinted the windows on the other one, but the a/c on the ST seems weaker than the SEL was, but it should be the same.

Ah, I was unaware of the fact that they were always open during a/c use, never mind.[goofydrunk] I really just wanted a second opinion, I wasn't really serious about doing this under warranty anyway. It just strikes me as odd that someone would design something to block air from getting to the radiator- which is kind of important.

Guess I'm just spoiled then, my mid 90's Caddy would give you frostbite if you had the AC on max. Of course on an old luxo-barge, being eco friendly was of least importance. Maybe I'll just get the charge checked to see if something is wrong there.
I haven't been able to watch them while driving, but it does seem like it would have to remain open with the a/c on or the condenser core would freeze and the a/c would no longer work.

The only case for removing the active grille shutters is on the ST if you wanted to fit a larger front mounted intercooler

#6 ·
My AC blows very cold. I have never questioned if my AC was "cold enough", because it always is. Sometimes I find myself raising the temp or shutting it off because it cools down the car so much and quickly.

#15 ·
They can be removed. The Mountune intercooler kit has the installer remove them, tape up the connector and fix it to a safe location. Since this kit doesnt void the warranty and in the UK is even installed by some Ford dealers you dont need to worry about it hurting the car.

I miss the old R12 a/c units I had in my old cars, with the new 'ecofriendly' refrigerants that everyone has to use and efficiency standards set high I dont think a/c units in any car will be as frosty as they used to be.

You might want to use a cheap thermometer to measure the outlet A/C temp with the system set on recirculate and max. That is usually the standard dealership techs use to gauge if the system is working normally. That might help you talk to the dealer about what to expect.

And I believe your car uses the pressure in the a/c system as a trigger to open the shutter. So it is supposed to open the grills if the a/c system is struggling.

#18 ·
I believe they do stay open anytime the A/C is on. However, I have not been able to hold on tight enough to the hood at highway speeds to physically examine that theory. [;)]

#26 ·
May I ask where this info came from , the AC only looses 1hp when it is running ?
The more RPM that it turns the more power it takes to tune it , I think they take about 7hp at idle cruise and about 12-14 HP at max psi then the hotter it is the more psi it builds so the more HP to turn it

Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.