Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Procharger + nitrous build thread

15K views 117 replies 11 participants last post by  blanezx3 
#1 ·
So, after a long thought process I've decided to go as big as I can afford with a Procharger.

For 11 years I kept it pretty normal. The day I bought the car I also bought the SRI. Over the next couple years my brother and I put in cams, different exhausts/headers, cam gears, UDP's, etc. During this time I sprayed a 55-75 wet shot and had tunes done for the NA stuff.

Last year we decided to throw on the blower kit that I got from here in 2011 or 2012. I immediately ordered a CFM clutch/flywheel kit, torsen diff, new VR mounts, 50lb injectors, rah rah rah. While doing remote tuning, Tom found that the knock sensor was pulling quite a bit of timing. After some troubleshooting, I bit the bullet and asked Tom to build a short block.

So here we are today. I just took delivery of the ~9.5:1CR short block (thanks for transporting it mom!). Once we get everything together I will take it to Tom for dyno tuning. It will be using the smallest blower pulley and a CFM overdrive crank pulley as long as we don't max out the blower too early. The nitrous is going to be the fun part. We are planning on a lot of spray - as long as cylinder pressure doesn't get too high and we have enough fuel. After this season is over I'll send the blower off to ATI to get the C2 internals put in.

Pics will come once I get it on the stand.

See less See more
#36 ·
I ended up having to run to 4 different parts stores to get everything we needed just to put the bottom end back together. None of the places had all of the gaskets. Lesson learned - go to Ford for the master kits a few days ahead of time. That was a good 3-4 hours of time wasted.

OTOH, I did get the windage tray ground down quite a bit. I need to get some putty and see if things are hitting or how close they are to hitting. Dremel wouldn't work (kept breaking blades) so I ended up using the angle grinder to get it done. Once I get it cleaned out I'll start doing test fitting.

I started thinking about something else. For the guys who drag race, what kind of suspension mods are you using to keep the rear from squatting down so much? Are you using higher rate rear springs or what? I currently have Tien springs and you can feel it transferring the weight to the rear when under acceleration.

#39 ·
do it like nascar. put a little wedge in the rear. the spring spacer trick works great and its quick and easy to do. dont even really have to jack the car up or anything if your skinny enough.

#45 ·
Just a quick update. Things have been slow since the temps dropped and I've been slammed with work. I, just today, got a line on a FRPP head for a reasonable price so I'll probably be picking that up to add to the build. We'll just move the cams over, clearance/time them, and go from there. I'm also thinking about buying a SVT lower from FRPP head guy and then getting the TopSpeed upper.

Who has done the swirl pot setup and wants to guide me through that? :)

#47 ·
You kind of read my mind. I am just really concerned with nitrous backfires. Been there, done that, and changing the manifold while it is in the car can be a pain. I don't want to go with the TS upper but can't find the FR either. Been looking for a few years now.

Ideas?

#48 ·
roush turbo focus was building a last run did you PM him

Nitrous back fires are very rare above 3500 RPM , install a rpm switch that wont activate the nitrous till say 3800

I have had a Nitrous backfire in 10 years and in that 10 years im talking hundreds of bottles of nitrous , I have seen guys blow the hoods off the cars in the pits and lined up to go race all because they allow the nitrous to come on at low RPM

Im a hugh Nitrous fan on my cars that dont have turbos

Tom

#51 ·
For you guys who have never heard of Induction Solutions, but watch Street Outlaws:

The biggest "Shocker" in Street Outlaw history !! It's great to see the way Kye Kelley shook up the boys in the 405. They took it well and it will be cool to see what goes down in the future. We're you happy to see someone else win or did you want to see the 405 guys win ??

#54 ·
It will be somewhere in the 800 range for the head, iirc. Didn't hear from him yesterday so I'll confirm when he contacts me. Power with the PC.. I'm realistic. I was wondering if there are mods to the alternator bracket or intake manifold to get it bolted up.

Kye definitely has a badass car. Two or 3 stages is sick.. then again, pro-mod.

#56 ·
Well, I don't really have a goal for hp/tq. My goal is 1/8th mile times. I'd like to be in the high 7's/low 8's range when all is said and done (including spray). Whatever power gets me to that will be fine. Driving on the street isn't a concern since I won't be renewing the tags anyway.

#57 ·
Just trying to help , what HP on boost and how much NOS will it take to reach that goal

Those times will be 11.80 to 12.50 sec 1/4 times , to run that you will be spraying about a 150hp shot of nitrous

Im guessing you have the STD ProC and not the bigger unit so your going to max out about 270 +/- with a good front mount cooler

= 400-430 HP to the wheels

Look about right ?

Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.