Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Replacement passenger side axle

3K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  ZXthrizzle05 
#1 ·
What axles and where are you high hp focuses getting replacement axles. I need the passenger side axle assembly mine has a bit of play in it at the mid cv joint. Rattles when I hit small multiple bumps. I went to the dealer and they want almost $400 for just that side. Which to me is nuts seeing as you can buy after market axles for $500 for both.

#4 ·
No its the cv joint that connects the mid axle to the outer. Ive already found the problem. My only concern with rock auto parts is that the aftermarket parts wont be as good as oem or as strong.

#5 ·
Cardone is the brand you want on rockauto

They have "Cardone Select" and "A-1 Cardone". Cardone Select is suppose to be brand new to oem spec........yadayawho.knows

You want A-1 Cardone. That is a rebuilt/remanufactured Ford motorcraft axle.

I also believe the one you buy from ford will be a reman as well.
I would not hesitate getting the A-1 Cardone, pretty easy install and 10% of the price. It might be the only american company on Rock auto.

I'm also having a sound in my axle after I back out of my drive way and then go forward. Its always two clunks and then never does it again until next time im in my driveway. I just don't know which side it is tho, im hoping this isn't anything in my new transmission/Torsen, since i installed it myself. (1st time doing it)

#6 ·
Any axle will probably work just fine. Most are just rebuilt stock ones anyways. But that being said I've bought axles from the "parts stores" with holes in the damn boots. So before you install whatever brand you get make sure you check the boots for holes lol

#8 ·
Ok thanks thats what i was looking for. i wanted remaned stock axles. so cardone it is. thanks.

and yeah ive been on here a good bit. I bought my focus as a stock zx3 base model focus and now its basically a daily driven fully built svt eap with zetec drivetrain with power everything and putting down almost 500whp and wtq.. lol

Ive posted numerous how tos and lots of things on here as well as gotten many points of help here as well.. this is a great sight. I quit using focaljet due to so many rude people on it.

#12 ·
OEM only, The guy I sold my old car too broke a aftermarket axle. went back to oem hasn't had a problem.

#13 ·
You might try Detroit Axle on ebay
I plan on grabbing some of their reman axles for track time spares. Seems like a heck of a deal to me.
I don't know if the axles themselves are oem or aftermarket. I figure the other parts are made in China. That being said, I run aftermarket/China bearings/hub on the rear with my SVT brake swap with no issues whatsoever.

#17 ·
Yea sold it over 2 years ago, bought a 2012 mustang and now its twin turbo :).

#18 ·
NICE!!! I looked hard at the 5.0 mustangs before I bought my ls swapped fd. I even put my focus up for sale but people were offering stupid amounts for it. So I just decided to keep it and use it as I choose to. Ive started putting a bit more money into the focus trying to get better traction. Thought that i had several years ago. Now that i can fit a decent size tire under my car I just need a quality tire.

Eventually i plan on boosting my fd. But for now ive just been fixing problems with it and making it look better. Its pretty quick in stock form. 0-100mph in just shy of 6 seconds. but after 100 its nothing to be impressed about when comparing it to my focus.. haha

Right now the fd is getting rewired to get rid of factory relays and wires that are not being used so itll be like the ls motor came in the car. I spent the past year figuring out a suspension issue. sucks that it took me replacing everything in the suspension to fix it. (it was bad springs all along) grrr.. lol.

But I know when im done itll be amazing..

I was very impressed with the mustang when i drove it. it deff feels way lighter in handling than it looks. I would love to get a ride in it some time.

#19 ·
Sounds like a badass FD, my buddy has a LS swapped BMW and it rides out. Heads cams, 150 kit, pretty much a sleeper. If Im ever in SC ill give you a shout so you can get a ride.

#22 ·
i ordered a cardone axle. hopeully its as good as the stock axle was. I might really get to find out soon. Im looking into getting drag radials for it. so i might end up breaking some.. lol. I want to see if i can get all of my 2nd gear to hook in my high setting. Right now i cant hook 3rd in high setting. So if i can accomplish my goal this focus ought to be INSANE. and maybe dip into the 10s in a 1/4mi. Im not to far off now with a much thinner drag radial. and a really crappy 60'

#24 ·
give the axle shop in charlotte a call. they make super strong fwd axles, mostly for hondas, but i think if you tell them what you have they might drill something up. ive been meaning to do it for awhile but just keep forgetting or putting it off. but otherwise you definitely want motorcraft or reman motorcraft axles. there are other brands of axles that are classified as "oem" but were just crap. check ebay if you have to but you either need motorcraft or billet/custom. dont even know if those 500mm billet axles are available anymore. havent seen any in years

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.