Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Clutch options??

5K views 39 replies 6 participants last post by  focusmaniaczx3 
#1 ·
So as most of you know im putting down a pretty good amount of power on my focus that is daily driven. around 500whp. I have had to get custom clutches made by Lonnie at CM. It seems though that no matter what i do i have clutch issues. (it keeps popping the springs out of it).

So first question is, is anyone else daily driving their 500whp focus, and if so what are you all using for your clutches? How is the clutch engagement? Is there a clutch out there that will last more than a year or 2 that has a normal clutch engagement (not the choppy engagement) that can handle a daily driven car like ours?

Also as some of you might know im also currently building my new drift car for my next level competition of drifting (240sx with upwards of 500whp). well In the 240 world they have this clutch setup called the white bunny clutch which is basically they use a larger flywheel and larger clutch that comes out of different cars like the rb20 or 350z with a larger contact surface area and bolt it to the ka. By doing this you get a stock clutch pedal feel and engagement that can hold 400+ whp and a simple stg 2 can handle well over 500whp. So all that got me thinking. Is there anything like this that we can do to the zetech focus with the mtx75 trans. In turn getting a clutch that engages smooth or smoother than a stg 4 or 5 clutch that can handle a 500whp ford focus.

I say we put our heads together and see if we can discover anything like this.

See less See more
#29 ·
its a custom clutch that Lonny from clutchmasters made for me. I told him he should make it a regularly sold option for the focus. But is a [full face unsprung clutch with stage 4 material on it]. You have to call Lonny and ask him, hes the one that designed it for me. Just tell him about me (a Dan Stoneburner on ff said that you built him Above mentioned clutch for his 500whp for focus daily driver) Hopefully that will be enough info. I cant imagine hes built to many of those clutches. But like i said it was the same price as the stage 4 sprung 6 puck clutch. Im sorry I cant put a link. Ill try to call him and give him a heads up. There number is 9098776800.

Reactions: 700whpfocus
#30 ·
OK just called Lonny at CM and let him know and he knows exactly who I am and what clutch he built So just let him know my name and what the clutch was and hell take care of you guys.Heres the link to the stage 4 clutch. http://www.clutchmasters.com/fx400-07164-hdc6-h/ Let me know if he takes care of you all. and what you think of the clutch if you get one. And BTW.. Clutch is still GREAT!!!

#31 ·
i think ive asked this question already but i think i forgot the answer. how many miles on that clutch so far and have you had to replace it at all yet?

on a side note i think the tire situation is moot for us dan. BFG gforce drag radials in a 255 series still just spin on the street. run some tires that get decent miles on the street and if you want traction get slicks

i think i talked about some crazy hoosier radial tires with you 315/35/17s that were supposedly 25.2 in tall and would supposedly clear the underside of the front spring cup. they are taller than advertised and dont fit because of it...

#32 ·
im not sure exactly how many miles but its been on the car being driven daily for almost a year with travel nursing job since October so im assuming close to 20k and only thing ive had to do was a new clutch master cylinder but that thing had 135k miles on it. lol.

and your right about the tires i had bfg drag radials on my car and they SUCKED. Ive heard good things about the nitto nt55r and i was looking really hard into the yokahoma advan nevoa ad08. but i ended up getting a cheaper higher mileage tire for now. and they do ok. i cant remember right off the top of my head what brand they are. but they are a 245 so they pull much harder than the old 225 bfgs did.

#36 ·
well that could have been my problem. The lowest I ever ran them on was about 28psi or so.
for me the cost of the clutch was a bit different because all he made me was just the clutch due to the last one i had barely even had 5k miles on it. i sent them back my old clutch and pressure plate they refurbished the pressure plate and made the custom clutch and sent it back. But he said the cost would be the same as the stage 4 that they had because it was using the same material if that was what i ended up buying next time.

#38 ·
ill have to keep that in mind if i ever get another set. I think i just need to get me a set of slicks i can run at the track. and then do something like the nevoa for street use or something. those tires get great reviews. people say they stick like drag radials but get about twice the mileage. I guess its something to do with the fact they are made with orange oil instead of regular oil.. I dont know. but they boast 30k plus miles on them. and peopl give them great reviews. Also a bit cheaper than bfgs. (not much) but cheaper.. haha.

#40 ·
we were discussing tires for getting decent traction on the street. i think 12psi is waaay to low to safely street drive the BFGs tom. i ran them at around 20psi and they would just spin on the street and they felt really squirmy under braking and in the turns at that low pressure. i didnt feel safe driving on them with less than 30psi. no idea how they will do on the track. dont even know if the tires will last long enough to make it to the track though. they wear out waaay fast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.