Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Daily Driver Engine Build 350-450whp>:D

30K views 233 replies 18 participants last post by  BlkNite713 
#1 ·
Hey guys:

I am finally deciding its time to do my turbo engine build. Yes i know i would get a better response in the f/i section but i cannot access that for reasons unknown. Just wanted to get some input and see what you guys thought i could improve on/add what im missing. Most of the work will be done by myself on a spare SVT block I was able to get cheap :D

Quick Questions First.

1. Will the stock block(Completely Built) be able handle 400-450whp?

2. With a Qual LSD and a stg 5 clutch upgrade, will the getrag/Stock axles be able to even handle torque over 350lbs?

3.I have seen alot of people including Tom saying the stock head does not need to be touched for 300whp, what about 350-400whp? Just port and polish, replace val and ret, leave cams stock and call it a day?

Your going to notice i have mods that might not be a "Neccessity" and i am missing alot of little things. Any help would be appreciated; I want to do it right the first time incase i decide to change from 350 to 450hp and so on.

Engine

-Massive Speed Supertech Pistons 85.5mm 8:7:1
-Eagle Rods
-If Head Needs Porting and upgrading will go either(Topspeed Stg2 Or Massive Ultimate) Which One is better?
-Stock Cams...(If Needed To Change, Will Go Cat Cams)
-CFM High Performance Oil Pump(Needed?)
-Replace Water Pump(For Reliability)
-ARP Studs(Main, Head)
-Crankshaft.....(I Have No Idea)
-Replace/Clean Exsisting Oil Cooler
-PVC Delete
-Topspeed Intake Manifold (Buy:Hp Gains Are Very Promising )
-CFM 67mmTB (Already Have)
-Obviously Full gasket replacement

Drivetrain

-Qual LSD
-Spec Stg 5 Clutch, Aluminum Flywheel
-Arp Flywheel Bolts
-Axles...?(Not Sure On Handling Capacity)

Thanks ahead of time before hand. I really appreciate it![read]

Best Regards,

Anthony

See less See more
#83 ·
Steeda Hood, it is not vented it is louvered. I will be dremeling small slits into the bottoms of the louvers to let heat out but I'm DEI wrapping everything to hell so under engine temps should not even be a concern of mine.

We can def do a photo shoot in September, I deploy 21st of Sept to Afghanistan so it's gotta be sometime in the week or two prior.

Anthony

#84 ·
it should work inline between the intake manifold source and bottom port on wastegate.

this will allow you to increase boost pressure from the spring current rate. you can not go under the spring pressure.

sourcing from the turbo will give you a lower boost capability than sourcing boost from the intake manifold b/c of pressure lose across intercooler and piping. hooking up to the comp housing of the turbo will work but it will usually be about 2psi lower than on the IM

tee off any port on the back of the IM

http://www.turbosmartusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/article_bthookup1.png

Tim

#85 ·
Ahhh.... So I had it backwards.... You can turn it up, but not down? Ok ok I got it now.

Thanks Tim,

Ill post a picture of the intercooler after I customize it. Can't say what I'm doing yet but I think it will go over very well with the focus community.

Anthony

#86 ·
yeah you can turn it up. usually up to double spring pressure.

the wg spring is compressed at a certain psi and that amount depends on the thickness of the spring of tension on the spring. you can get a thicker spring to increase boost, put shims under the spring to increase tension and boost, or get a controller which limits the amount of boost pressure the wg actually receives.

if you have an 8lb spring and reference wg off comp housing and your boost gauge on the IM you will see less than 8 on the gauge. you can switch the wg to the intake and it will pick up more boost.

Tim

#87 ·
::::::::Update:::::::::

Got more stuff in. Decided that I was going to clean up the engine bay a little bit so I ordered CFM 10 piece coolant hose kit from William. Also I will be running a 70/30(Distilled/coolant) ratio with redline water wetter. Did alot of research on that one and it seems to be the optimal ratio to not cause any type of corrosion with the radiator.

Also ordered a GIGANTIC roll 2x100ft of DEI titanium wrap for all of the intercooler piping and DP.

I have 2x50lb packages coming in from William at CFM this Friday.

So here's a question for you guys. Do I A. Buy the Ct2 4747 comp turbo with triplex bearings and HF Billet wheel that's $1200, B. Buy the standard bearing turbo for $600 and buy a Topspeed intake mani $550.... Honestly Tom said I don't need the intake mani for 375whp so I'm leaning towards the Triplex turbo because of the impressive torque numbers.

Anthony

#88 ·
..::Update::..

No longer waiting till September to finish this project. Managed to get the last 2 weeks of July off from work so I will begin a lot sooner than predicted. Currently received all of my stuff needed to finish the car. The only think I am currently waiting on is my Turbo from Comp, and going to pic up the block from the shop this week.

Will begin uploading more pics of parts tmrw after the gym.

Anthony

#90 ·

Yeah I'm pretty sure 400whp shouldn't be a problem, I just like to be super safe and route out all possible problems that might arise so I can get them all taken care of at the same time.

Anthony

#91 ·
...:::Update:::...

Picked up the block from the shop. Good news is it's all clean and finished, bad news is the previous owner of the piston bought SVT rings for the pistons and decided to gap them himself.....Needless to say he overgapped the 2nd rings to .03 and i need them at a .0197 so i will be contacting total seal today and seeing if they can sell me 4 new middle rings. I PRAY THEY SAY YES!!!!!

[offtopic]On a sidenote i made a how to on the top of the Forced Induction section of the forums as to how to paint the intercooler with an SVT logo. Here is the finished product.....

And here is a picture of the finished Intercooler pipes... Why did i exhaust wrap them???? Because i had nothing better to do and figured it'd help keep IAT's lower :p

Here's a good question and if anyone can answer i would be very thankful. The Torsen LSD is going to have to be taken to the machine shop to get bearings pressed.... Now do they set the preload there or is the preload actually done on the pinion? I tried researching online and couldn't find anything on the forums.

And if I have to set the preload does anyone know how to do so as I have never done this before and would like to not break my LSD.

Thanks in advance guys[thumb],

Anthony

#93 ·
I'm a fan of overkill lol. I have 100ft 2in so I figured I'd just wrap everything rather than let it sit in the garage. All I have to wrap now is the DP and SPA mani, which I have about 50ft left to do.

Anthony

#95 ·
Tim:

I know that lol, I only wrapped them to the end so I could tape them. I have not received my metal ties from DEI. Once I get them I will be finishing them each about 2inchs away from the ends :p.

Anthony

#97 ·
Thanks ZX :D, I'm hoping when I pull the motor and trans I can really wash out the engine bay for some good photos for my how to's.

Most likely dropping off the diff and hub assembly at the machine shop on Tues for new wheel bearing and diff bearings.

Anthony

#99 ·
Yeah that's what mine sounds like. Vibrates a lot in the driver front. How's your build coming along?

Anthony

#101 ·
Track down all the vacuum lines make sure there secured, also check the intercooler couplers. I found multiple leaks on my SRT-4 from faulty couplers and cracked lines. Also make sure your waste gate diaphragm and blow off valve gaskets are good. Plenty of leak spots lol. It's a pain to track down without using colored air(smoke) and a compressor with a boost leak detector....

Anthony

#103 ·
...::Update::..

Began year down today.... I only had about an hour to work on it so obviously not much got done. Got the tranny and engine drained off as much oil as possible. Got to take off both front rims (so I can pull the axles tmrw), intake and throttle body, coil pack and spark plug wires, and the hood.

Still awaiting my Turbo, Manifold, and Diablosport MAFia.... Turbo components probably won't be put in until after I get back from business aug 1-25. Motor and tranny should be done by the end of next week and back in the car.

Will post pics later on in the week. I'll try to include as much detail/tips and pics for people to learn from.

Anthony

#105 ·
...::Update::...

Both axles off, coolant drained, power steering drained, wheel bearing being pressed into the hub at the shop, headers/ORP/Exhaust all off.

Tmrw I will drop the tranny, swap the differentials, get the wheel hub back onto the drivers axle, swing by ford to order the output shaft seals, and finally investigate what the HELL IS MAKING A BANGING SOUND OVER BUMPS!!!!! I'm guessing one of the bushings on the front sway is bad because both ball joints are good and sway bar links are good.

Will post lots of pics when tranny is out tmrw!

Anthony

#106 ·

3 Days..... Not bad :D

Torsen installed and tranny torqued and sealed, Engine is out and im going to begin swapping the stuff onto the new motor today or tmrw.... should be done by sunday night/monday morning [thumb]

Anthony

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.