Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Daily Driver Engine Build 350-450whp>:D

30K views 233 replies 18 participants last post by  BlkNite713 
#1 ·
Hey guys:

I am finally deciding its time to do my turbo engine build. Yes i know i would get a better response in the f/i section but i cannot access that for reasons unknown. Just wanted to get some input and see what you guys thought i could improve on/add what im missing. Most of the work will be done by myself on a spare SVT block I was able to get cheap :D

Quick Questions First.

1. Will the stock block(Completely Built) be able handle 400-450whp?

2. With a Qual LSD and a stg 5 clutch upgrade, will the getrag/Stock axles be able to even handle torque over 350lbs?

3.I have seen alot of people including Tom saying the stock head does not need to be touched for 300whp, what about 350-400whp? Just port and polish, replace val and ret, leave cams stock and call it a day?

Your going to notice i have mods that might not be a "Neccessity" and i am missing alot of little things. Any help would be appreciated; I want to do it right the first time incase i decide to change from 350 to 450hp and so on.

Engine

-Massive Speed Supertech Pistons 85.5mm 8:7:1
-Eagle Rods
-If Head Needs Porting and upgrading will go either(Topspeed Stg2 Or Massive Ultimate) Which One is better?
-Stock Cams...(If Needed To Change, Will Go Cat Cams)
-CFM High Performance Oil Pump(Needed?)
-Replace Water Pump(For Reliability)
-ARP Studs(Main, Head)
-Crankshaft.....(I Have No Idea)
-Replace/Clean Exsisting Oil Cooler
-PVC Delete
-Topspeed Intake Manifold (Buy:Hp Gains Are Very Promising )
-CFM 67mmTB (Already Have)
-Obviously Full gasket replacement

Drivetrain

-Qual LSD
-Spec Stg 5 Clutch, Aluminum Flywheel
-Arp Flywheel Bolts
-Axles...?(Not Sure On Handling Capacity)

Thanks ahead of time before hand. I really appreciate it![read]

Best Regards,

Anthony

See less See more
#56 ·
Understood, but I got my Spa mani for $170 brand new so I couldn't pass that up. I am happy with 400whp with the 3inch set up your are fabbing me. As stated this is a DD so anything over 400 is to much for my usage.

Anthony

#58 ·
Well once you finish that surge tank I will be able to reach my goal. It's all on you now Tim. Don't let me down hahaha. I am fine running 300hp on stock pump to give the motor a good long break in, but a return fuel system is in the builds future!

Anthony

#60 ·
Not done yet. Hopefully cheaper than a single pump hanger from topspeed.

#61 ·
Don't think so...you'll need more fittings than a return set up plus the tank which will need a hanger by itself or an inline pump which are not cheap. Surge tank set up is the safest.

#62 ·
Hmm true, forgot about the inline pump. It'll be worth it though. I've been waiting for someone else to come out with a return set up. Topspeed is to expensive in my opinion.

#63 ·
I have a ClutchMaster Fx400 kit 6 puck clutch in my car and ever time I hit 300whp it starts to slip. The clutch came with the set up I bought and had 10K it may have been a little abused but it wasn’t to bad. So you may want to see if anyone else has had issues with it slipping.

#64 ·
Might not have been installed correctly. FX400 kits are good for well over 350hp. I've been looking for the best kit for the money. Spec 3+ kit looks good too but I most likely will go 6 puck fx400

#66 ·
I know it’s installed correctly, I was just saying what my experience with it is, and granted the one I have was used so it may have been abused but the condition looks similar to.

#67 ·
True, but 10k miles is pretty light. There was another guy on here who had a lot of problems from improper break in procedure. Might have been previous owner as you stated.

#68 ·
very well could be it's been holding me back but that will be a job for over the winter.

#69 ·
MotherFocus.... I see you got tuned by Racing parts solution.... How go of a job did they do in the one month span you had to fine tune your car? I had thought about trying them or Tom. It's my DD so drive ability is the main concern.

....::Update::....

Sorry I've been slacking so heavily... Been busy with school and busy with work so I have not had a chance to stay on top of the build. So far the turbo kit in nearly 100% complete. I have been able to patiently piece together a full turbo kit for roughly $2000.

Turbo Turtle Intercooler kit
-CX Racing Intercooler *No bumper cutting needed*
-3inch hot side pipes
-3inch cold side
-3inch MAF tube
-3inch Downpipe using DEI 90 bend and TurboTurtle Fabrication

-Comp Ct2-5556 Turbocharger
-Turbonetics Evolution 35mm Wastegate
-HKS SSQV 4 Blow Off Valve

The motor components are basically all purchased. I'm just waiting for my CM Fx400 kit to come in from Cfm so I can take the block to get tanked and bored and the crankshaft balanced and micro polished.

I will be making a photobucket accound this week and post some pictures so everyone can get an idea of where I am.

Anthony

#70 ·
He is a very good tuner, I daily drive mine without any issues now, the tuning was done in a dyno and make sure everything is a 100% before tuning, even after that there is always something and it will hold you back of finalizing.

#73 ·
Well the pistons and everything is already assembled.... Just need to get the block bored and hot tanked so I can hit it with paint and throw the pistons in. I only want to make one trip to the machine shop so that's why I'm waiting for the clutch so I can have the block and crank done all at once.

Zxtheizzle what do the faces mean lol?

Anthony

#74 ·
Moderators please move this to the Build threads. I have finally made a photo bucket account and am ready so post pictures as soon as this thread is moved.

Thank you,

Anthony

#76 · (Edited)
Day 1: [V]

Within 3 Months:[duh]

Within 6 Months:[8D]

Within a year:[clap]

I've always been a car enthusiast as you can tell by the progressions. So now that you see how the exterior has changed we can start to get into the actual build.

As you can see with my original list or parts on page one i have basically changed almost everything on that list. Alot of the parts i choose were not well researched at the time and i was just excited to post up stuff about my future build. Now that i have basically everything i need i feel its time to start posting pictures and begin getting ready for the actual hands on stuff.

So first thing i have to mention is this is obviously a daily driver build. I have no intentions on gutting my car or putting a fuel cell in the trunk and eliminate my $1,000 worth of soundsystem stuff. I am however going to start pulling small pieces out that i dont need in order to lighten the car up to compensate for the weight of the audio equipment. Initially I am going to remove the spare tire, jack, and rear seats.

With that said i'll list my most up to date parts and explain why i bought what.

...:::Engine:::...

-Probe Standard Bore Low Comp Pistons
-Eagle Rods
-Cleavite H series Rod Bearings
-Cleavite H Series Main Cap Bearings
-ARP Rod Bolts
-ARP Main Bolts
-ARP Head Bolts
-FelPro Gasket Kit Upper
-FelPro Gasket Kit Lower
-OEM Motorcraft Headgasket
-CFM High Performance Oil Pump
-OEM Water Pump
-Gates Timing Belt Kit
-Serpentine Accessory Belt
-COMPLETELY STOCK SVT HEAD
-All New CFM Blue Coolant Hoses

...:::Turbo/Fuel:::...

-Comp Billet X-HF CT2 4859
-SPA Turbo Manifold
-CXRacing Intercooler Core From Tim @ TurboTurtle Garage(TTG)
-TTG 3inch Intercooler Piping
-TTG Couplers And Clamps
-TTG 3inch MAF Tube
-DEI 45 Degree Mandrel Bend For 4 Bolt Turbo Oulet
-TTG 3inch Downpipe With Wastegate Dump Tube Rerouted Into DP
-Custom 3inch Exhaust With Electronic Cutout
-Turbonetics Evolution Wastegate 35mm
-HKS SSQV IV Blow Off Valve With Recirculation Hose Routed Into Intake.
-Siemen Deka 60lb/hr Injectors
-Kennebell Boost-A-Pump 20 Amp
-Steel Braided Turbo Oil Lines

...:::Transmission:::...

-Torsen ATB LSD
-New Motorcraft Bearings For Install
-ClutchMasters Fx400 Kit With Aluminum Flywheel 6 Puck
-New OEM Flywheel Bolts
-New OEM Axle Seals

And here are some pics of accessories and Tim's phenominal fabrication work.

Probe And Eagle Set Up.

New Cleavite Bearings

Spare block I am currently awaiting return from Gettle's Machine Shop in Lebanon, PA.

And Now For Some Of Tim's Fabrication Work.

CxRacing Intercooler With HKS BOV Flange

Tim's Piping Kit

Tim's 3in DP with DEI 45 Deg Bend And Evo Wastegate

Torsen ATB LSD

Still awaiting some miscellanious stuff. I have been pacient and pieced together alot of stuff for about 50% cheaper than most places have it. I will continue to wait it out an purchase the parts i can when they pop up on the forums and buy everything i dont find from Fernando @ RPS or William @ CFM.

Thanks for the information and knowledge Tim[wrenchin]. It was definately a pleasure having your help with the intercooler and downpipe.

I will update the thread as i get more parts in and i will take plenty of pictures every day once i start tearing the car apart.

Anthony[driving]

#77 ·
thanks. im glade your happy with every thing.

changing the name of my company to Turbo Turtle Garage. decided to do more than just fabrication, engine building and suspension work stuff like that to

Tim

#78 ·
Name changed. Yeah, I love the work. I'm going to get an intercooler spray to increase efficiency and coat the front black at a 90 degree angle as to not clog the find. Then I will be putting a Blue svt logo dead center on the front of the intercooler. Will posts pics when done.

Anthony

#79 ·
Hey Tim quick question about all the vacuum lines. So external wastegate goes to turbo, boost controller goes in the same line(in between the wastegate and turbo), blow off valve goes to intake manifold, boost gauge gets vacuumed intake manifold???

Anthony

#81 ·
ok, ill be the one to ask... what hood is that? and are those vents functional , or is the lower shell blocking it?

Im almost done my build too... got all the pipes at the powdercoater...then ill unveil it in a thread when its done :) we should do a photo shoot later when they are both done.

oh, and if you interested, ive got a way you can be exempt and still be a DD ( just gotine indpection with exempt status :) pm me if your interested

#82 ·
Just a standard manual one. Should be online with the wastegate and turbo correct? And I can only decrease the boost not increase right? So for example I would have to have a 20lb combined spring inside the wastegate on order to hit 20psi or lower psi. I could not have a 12psi spring and use the controller to turn up the pressure because the whole point of the boost controller is to leak air out of the vacuum to decrease the amount getting to the turbo?

Is there a certain area on the intake manifold? Or any of the pre existing vacuum lines will work just have to buy a T splice to add in?

Anthony

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.