Focus Fanatics Forum banner

SUPERCharge Options!

2K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  TexasFoCi 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,
I've been doing some mods to my focus zx3 for the past year, Short shifter, catback exhaust, CAI, shorty Headers; Just the basics. I've been really contemplating leaving it as is, but as usual, want more power. Looked online found that only way to get some serious power is forced induction.
With that said, Seems like supercharging might be the easiest and most cost effective way. Turbo charging sounds good but, all of the kits out there are pretty expensive. I need helping finding a complete supercharging kit that I can bolt on for under $2K, PLEASE ALL SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME. I don't want to buy something only to find out that the fitment of my car isn't right for the kit. [headbang][headbang][headbang]

#2 ·
You can sometimes find a Jackson racing super charger or a pro-charger for about 1.5 to 2K. however you usually still need injectors and tuning which will set you back another $600 for tune, $200-$400 for injectors.

You can also find use turbo kits for about the same price. sometimes just harder to find.

$2k is going to be a hard budget to have a FULL all encompassing kit.

#4 ·
That Jackson SC really did spark my interest, im only scared that the bracket he has won't fit my car. Still have a lot of studying to do on it. Im really inclined to get a blower in the next couple months, so im trying to decide the best kit for my car

#8 ·
Ok, looks like I got work cut out for my self. Goals of the car are to have pretty decent power to the wheels. Just enough to have fun at the track but reliable enough to have as my daily driver. I'll be taking long road trips on the car. I've been at the cross roads to put a blower on it for a while now. Should I just get a lightweight flywheel, stage two clutch and focus on the smaller mods. Or should I just go with the flywheel and clutch, and then go with a blower to make all of the mods work together. But it seems like I will have to go through it piece by piece if I want to go with forced induction, sounds like I gotta build the rest of the car to it to support the added power.
Nonetheless I'm really happy with my focus, fun to drive, and always enjoy surprising people with how much power the little things pack

#9 ·
The best thing I can say is to start track driving your car as it is now. You will learn the lines, the track and how your car behaves. then start adding suspension and power and you want / have money. A good driver who knows the track can be faster and have more fun then someone with 1000000HP that parks in the corners and mashes it in the straights.

Thats why Spec classes can be so much fun and very competitive. Spec Miata is one of those. all the cars very in power by a few HP's its the drivers that make it different.

#11 ·
you can buy turbo kits for around that price range and get way better power results from them than from any supercharger. you will be very lucky to get to 200whp and maybe 180ft/lbs of tq with any supercharger you run. with a turbo kit it is very easy to get to at least 230whp/tq on a stock motor. if you want i have an incomplete turbo kit that you can buy for $1000 that still needs a blow off valve, injectors, boost controller, and oil pan. other than that im pretty sure i have everything for it. and you should be able to get the bits you need to complete it and still be under your $2000 budget.

#12 ·
This, the JR supercharger will only get you where you would be at with a full n/a car. You want a blower then look for the Powerworks supercharger, but then your probably getting out of your budget area already. Supercharging isn't much of or a good option for us now a days. Turbo is the way to go.

#14 ·
You could prove him wrong on the hp numbers but the tq number is pretty solid for supercharged foci. If you went with a procharger you could get close to what a low boost turbo kit would put out as far as hp/tq numbers but it would be at the limit of that system. People have been down this path before, this is why we know what we know, others have been there, done that. That's the wonderful thing about this forum is the massive amount of collective knowledge.

#16 ·
You can do supercharge and then turbo... Go twin charged. Get the benefits of both. :)

#18 ·
compound boost with turbo and supercharger has been discussed to death on here. it would only get the desired effect on low boost levels only getting around 350 or less whp. after that the supercharger actually restricts airflow and hurts power. the hp number may be a little off but the general idea is correct. there is a very in depth thread on this subject but im too lazy to look for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.