Focus Fanatics Forum banner

New 08+ Cams for focus! Few questions

6K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  PSUrivie 
#1 ·
http://www.massivespeedforums.com/2012/03/29/new-product-massive-speed-custom-camshafts-for-200/

Hey, just saw these on Massives Facebook page. Just wondering what everyone thinks, if it is worth it and what type of HP I would get on a N/A, 09focus.

My current mods are Fswerks - Header,Exhaust,CAI, Xcal tune. I called them and they said I could expect around 20whp increase on top of my current mods, with the stage 1 cams. 449$, seems like a good price for that kind of HP gain. Anyone have any thoughts on this, or if that is realistic HP gain?

Also how big of a job is it to install it, I will be getting my local shop to do it? Also does Fswerks or Tom tune for these cams? If so How much to re-tune my car with the cams installed.

Sorry for throwing all these questions at you guys.

#2 ·
I think Im going to cry, so beautiful. thank you Massive!

#5 ·
Just make sure to keep the cams & crank in time & you'll enjoy the mid range grunt

[wrenchin]Thats great that Massive is pulling this off for the '08+ people! I'd go for the stage 1's. You will find you need cam bar that fits the back of the cams when you have the motor atdc & w/ that the #1 cam lobes should be pointing towards each other. The back of the cam slots are off set, so w/ that cam bar laying across the back of the head & into the cam slots it only fits one way & w/ the pass tire off. Use a timing peg= to keep the crank from spinning clockwise & then you you rolling the exhaust cam backwards w/ a wrench in the flats of the cam & shove a 3/16 drill bit thru the timing cover after removing a plug to keep the guide tensoiner from retracting. & then use 2 wrenches to bust the cam sprocket bolts lose. I used two tye wraps around the exhaust sprocket to the chain & undid the exhaust sprocket bolt & the intake one comes out when you pull the intake cam out. Install the intake sprocket on the new intake cam. I marked the cam caps on one side to keep them in order. The exhaust cam in next & put the sprocket on & tighten up the bolt's w/ the preveis two wrenches & put the timing bar in the back of the cams to make sure the cams are in time. For me its easier to do that to explain. Its fairley simple, just need to make sure the cams & crank are in time w/ one another. You'll enjoy the midrange grunt. I installed my crane cams last monday.

#6 ·
[wrenchin]Thats great that Massive is pulling this off for the '08+ people! I'd go for the stage 1's. You will find you need cam bar that fits the back of the cams when you have the motor atdc & w/ that the #1 cam lobes should be pointing towards each other. The back of the cam slots are off set, so w/ that cam bar laying across the back of the head & into the cam slots it only fits one way & w/ the pass tire off. Use a timing peg= to keep the crank from spinning clockwise & then you you rolling the exhaust cam backwards w/ a wrench in the flats of the cam & shove a 3/16 drill bit thru the timing cover after removing a plug to keep the guide tensoiner from retracting. & then use 2 wrenches to bust the cam sprocket bolts lose. I used two tye wraps around the exhaust sprocket to the chain & undid the exhaust sprocket bolt & the intake one comes out when you pull the intake cam out. Install the intake sprocket on the new intake cam. I marked the cam caps on one side to keep them in order. The exhaust cam in next & put the sprocket on & tighten up the bolt's w/ the preveis two wrenches & put the timing bar in the back of the cams to make sure the cams are in time. For me its easier to do that to explain. Its fairley simple, just need to make sure the cams & crank are in time w/ one another. You'll enjoy the midrange grunt. I installed my crane cams last monday.
Did you have to retune your car after installing it? I don't want to have to pay like 300$ to get a re-tune from fswerks.

#7 ·
if you already have an FSWerks tune. Just get a new tune, I think it's like $35 or so.
Posted via FF Mobile

#10 ·
I think im going to go ahead an order it today, since they have a sale on right now. I will let you guys know how it goes. Anyone else have any opinions on how much HP I will get from it.

I am hoping my my current mods, Fswerks Header/CAI/Exhaust/Tune, plus with the camshaft I will be getting close to 180hp N/A, is this realistic?

#11 ·
Stage 1's perhaps?

So what set of cams you going w/ ? Stage 1's perhaps? 180 sounds awesome, but realisticly maybe 10-12hp & about 15lbs of grunt. To me 180 out of a 20 seems kind of high w/o a 23 head or any head work, & w/ that you'd need bigger set of cams to spin it up to get your hp. What you have is a great DD set up nothing wrong w/ that. Thats pretty similiar to what I have.

#17 ·
No bills wow!

haha yea this point in my life is a unique point where the only bill i have over the summer is gas for my car :) and i work 40 hrs a week. SO hopefully my car should be built nicely at that point haha
How do you get away w/ that? ^^^^ My youngest girl came back home, going on 7 months now. Wow & I pay the bills & have no say.

#18 ·
How do you get away w/ that? ^^^^ My youngest girl came back home, going on 7 months now. Wow & I pay the bills & have no say.

I'm a 21 year old college student who has to pay tuition in loans because even if I tried I would never afford the 38k a year tuition of this damn place. And during the summer I live at home so free utilities/food/rent :). Car is paid off and my parents pay my insurance and phone bill because I have to handle tuition and everything else associated with school haha.

The girlfriend and I are very easy going, she prefers sitting at home with movies and some starbucks to big dates hahaha it rocks

#26 ·
I would like to get a video up, however I am having a really hard time finding someone to install the cams. Every shop I called refuses to install them, also I need to get it done on the weekend, which is another inconvience. I have only found one shop that was willing and they wanted $400 for the install, and I am refusing to go to a dealer since they would want a retarded amount for the install. Right now I am just trying to find a weekend mechanic who will install it at his house or somthing.

#29 ·
Ok, I finally found someone today to install the cams at a decent price next weekend. However his concern is that when he opens the engine up to install them, dealing with the chain may be a pain. He said if he has to deal with the tension in the chain then it will turn into a 6-8 hour job rather than a 2-3 hours job. Does anyone know if it the engine cover comes off without realising the chain tension?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.