Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Crunch sound when going over dips???

12K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  katkrazy2007 
#1 ·
Well, now that i've solved the other problems, of course a new one occurs!!! Well, there is a dip on my road that I run over when I head to work everyday and when my '08 SES runs over this dip, I hear this odd "crunch" noise and I'm not sure where it is coming from. And it only happens when I am going over this dip and then I don't hear it anymore through my day even when going over other bad parts of roads and bumps. I am scared that this is something serious? Or is it something that isn't a big deal? Could it be the weather changing from being warm to being really cold in the morning? (I live in North MS if that helps if weather is involved)

I hope and pray that this isn't anything serious and that it is a pretty quick and non-dramatic fix. I need input everyone. [:(]

#4 ·
Do you mean in the front or in the back? And if it was the guard, wouldn't it do it all the time, when I drove over other bumps? It only does it on this dip when I'm heading to work early in the morning. After that, no noise while I'm driving any other time and no noise while turning. It made one little crunch sound right exactly after the dip that makes the big sound when I take a left at a four way stop after the dip and then after that, no more noise. I thought maybe it could be some type of bushings? But I will go check the splash guard. If it is that, how could you make it stop?

#3 ·
Well, now that i've solved the other problems, of course a new one occurs!!! Well, there is a dip on my road that I run over when I head to work everyday and when my '08 SES runs over this dip, I hear this odd "crunch" noise and I'm not sure where it is coming from. And it only happens when I am going over this dip and then I don't hear it anymore through my day even when going over other bad parts of roads and bumps...
Hi katkrazy2007,

Have you considered swinging by the dealership so they can take a look? Ford certified techs are your best bet when it comes to diagnosing and repairing your vehicle. Let me know if you have any other questions.

maybe the plastic flap under the bumper, like a splash guard? look under there and poke at it with your hand and see what it does.
Thanks for the good info, mrdeath2000!

Have a great day!
Crystal

#5 ·
Front. IF it's the splash guard, fixing it depends on what exactly is wrong, may be a simple bolt/push plug has come out, maybe the plastic cracked. Have to see it.

Are driving over this dip in the morning straight on or one tire at a time (like driving over a speed bump and only having one tire go over the bump)?

Before you leave in the morning push on the corners of your car in an effort to cycle the shocks/struts on each corner and see if that changes anything. Maybe it's something thats needing lubrication and sitting over night it settles and that dip in the morning frees it up. Just guessing and throwing crap out there :)

#7 ·
mrdeath2000, thanks for that tip! I will definitely check out the splash guard and try the cycling thing tomorrow. I haven't driven her any today so far. I'm thinking its something that is caused by sitting overnight/cold weather. Hoping and praying anyhow. I'm just gonna keep on driving her for a while and not worry about it and we will see what happens!

And to answer about how I drive over it, I am going straight over it without angling my tires at all. Its straight on. I hope this helps!! :)

#8 ·
yellowknife, I don't get a thumping sound anymore (that turned out to be my control arm). Its just a scrape sound that I don't get all the time. I run over bumps, speed bumps, railroad tracks, etc and I don't get it throughout the day. I've only heard it twice: both times I was leaving early in the morning when it was cold and hitting that dip straight on.

#11 ·
That's an excellent idea with one flaw: I havne't heard the noise going over the dip since I last posted on here :/ she trolled me. LOL! But just in case it does one morning, I'll have my phone out and ready to record. But this morning and a few prior mornings, no sound issues at all. I don't know what's up honestly. I guess I should be grateful for no noise, but man is it plaguing when you hear something once and wanna know what it is but no one is ever around to witness it and I can never get it to make noise again!!

#10 ·
try different speeds, we had a really nasty dip near work (they finally fixed it 2 weeks ago, its been there for years) and if I went thru it at anything over 50 km/hr my hard plastic mudflaps on the front wheels would touch down when the struts would compress. It annoyed me so much that I changed the mudflaps to a softer rubber one. Can you tell roughly what part of the car the noise is coming from?

#12 ·
And Tymes, its really hard for me to say where I think the sound is coming from. It seems like it may be towards the front, but I honestly don't know for sure. I haven't been able to mimic the sound anymore, which I suppose is probably good! But just in case, I have been actually lowering my speed over the dip. I've driven over it a few times in the last couple of days, but no noise anymore. Hmmm.. I guess for now its a mystery. I guess I'll just drive her until I hear something! (hopefully I won't). Thank you!!!:)

#13 ·
I haven't had a chance yet to check my mudflaps, but it made the sound again on this VERY COLD (colder than all other days this week and last week) morning when I hit that 'dip' and I slowed down and didn't hit it very fast and it still made the noise once my front tires hit the dip. And it'll always make it just once more and I make a left turn at a four way stop right after the dip and then I don't hear it anymore the rest of the day no matter what bumps or dips or railroad tracks or speed bumps I hit, it so far has only done it on a really cold morning like this morning here in North MS. It was raining yesterday and I left at the same time I did today and it wasn't as cold and I got on noise going over the dip and at no point that day. Hmmmm.. I gotta check that mudflap, but in the mean time, does anyone else have any suggestions on this mysterious (and sneaky) little crunch sound?? It doesn't affect drive quality from what I can tell, but I'm just so curious as to what causes it only on really cold mornings because back when it wasn't cold, like in August and September, I never heard it. The first time it ever did it was on one of the first really cold mornings I drove it in October/November.???

#14 ·
This is interesting. My '07 Focus sounds similar. Once or twice in the AM then no more. Sounds like a graunching old rubber bushing - not really a scraping sound. Mine is in the left front. I was thinking either left front strut bushing or left side motor mount. I haven't really dug into it yet.

Bob

#17 ·
Oh, another to check is your strut boots, I had one torn last winter, and I would get a crunch sound for the first 5 mins when it was cold out. I think once the engine temp started warming everything up it would loosen the strut up. at least its quick and easy to check.

#19 ·
List of everything I must checka and consider: 1) Front strut mounts/bushings/boots 2) mudflaps 3) end links

Got it!!!

Thanks everyone. Whenever I have the next opportunity, I will get it checked out. I work all during the day so its hard, but I will have to have it looked at soon. I'm just grateful that its nothing that will break my car or impair me from driving. I'll have my boyfriend check the mudflaps today!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.