Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Pro-Clip Phone Mount

101K views 103 replies 50 participants last post by  riparke 
#1 ·
One thing I've been slightly disappointed with is the lack of center console interior storage. I wish there was a cubby hole right where the climate control and shifter are--mainly to stick my phone for easy access without taking up the cupholders. I ended up ordering a Pro-Clip mount, and I love it. Check it out here: 2012 Ford Focus Pro-Clip Mounts.

I got the angled mount, and it fits just perfectly on the edge of the vent and that lower trim piece below the audio/nav. It is very secure and sturdy--no rattles or wobbliness. I've decided to use Bluetooth for music instead of USB, so I like to have the phone visible to pick out music, etc. and view SMS if they come in (iPhone doesn't support SMS through Sync). The mount is inside the vertical plane of the center console, too, so it doesn't bump the left knee of the front passenger.

Great product!

#93 ·
I have my charging cable passing into the center console by the front. There were you have the closing mechanism, the cable can be tosed to the left and the mechanism closes without cutting the cable.

#87 ·
I cant figure out a way into the center console without drilling.
I never found one. Besides, you'd have to drill a hole big enough for one of the ends of the cable. Granted, the lightning connector is pretty small now.

I have a pro-clip on the A-pillar and go down the weather striping to the underside of the dash. Then under the dash over to the plastic of the center console. I just tuck under that until back by my seat next to my hip. Then I come out from underneath the plastic and run it out in the open next to my seat and just go in under the lid.

Yeah, its visible, but really, you'd only see it if you were in the back seat. And, at that, its not very intrusive, especially with a black usb extension cable. All of the slack is zip tied up under the dash.

#89 · (Edited)
SkyPilot

Wow. That Kuda mount looks pretty good. Does it match the interior pretty well?

Also .. The site sells the basic mount piece that attaches to the dash. How do you attache the piece that connects to the phone? Do you just drill or screw into the dash piece?

It seems best to use a universal mount in case you switch phones so you don't have to re-drill new holes? I am trying to figure out how it all kind of fits together.

I was thinking of just getting the four prong connector and then using another mount that way it can be interchangeable with devices as long as it fits the four prongs mount.

#91 ·
The base itself offers a lot of space to attach the mount any way you want. The actually phone holder is universal you can use the included 2 sided tape or the included screws, I did both.

As for fit and finish, it looks like it came from the factory, it blends in perfectly with no gaps.

I see the Kuda mount appears to clear the 5spd shifter. I just picked up a Galaxy Note2 and its huge (awesome, but giant). Can anyone comment on if the proclip mount will easily clear the 5spd shifter in 5th gear with a giant phone in place?

Also, awesome thread. I love the information on this site.
The kuda mount clears the 5spd shifter with lots of space. Ive never hit my hand on the base when shifting into 5th. The universal mount that Kuda sells that I have will NOT hold the Note or even the 3S. My iPhone 5 with the case is a perfect fit with the arms extended just about all the way out. IDK if Kuda sells a bigger mount. But im sure there are many other mounting options out there if they dont.

#90 · (Edited)
I see the Kuda mount appears to clear the 5spd shifter. I just picked up a Galaxy Note2 and its huge (awesome, but giant). Can anyone comment on if the proclip mount will easily clear the 5spd shifter in 5th gear with a giant phone in place?

Also, awesome thread. I love the information on this site.

#99 ·
I just ordered my proclip the other day and should hopefully get it during the week. I got the one that mounts on the passenger side of the center stack.

I was curious as to what happens when the USB cord is plugged in along with using both Bluetooth streaming and Waze. It was only a 10-15 minute drive, but I think it at least maintained the level of charge on the battery. It does charge some if you aren't using the phone for anything. I have a Samsung Galaxy S4.

#96 ·
I used the USB port for charging my phone while using Slacker and Waze, it charges it fine. I just didn't like the cable running into the arm rest. So I purchased a separate charge, plugged into the other power source (cigarette lighter?)

#98 ·
I use a power port > USB adapter that sits flush, and plug it into the socket on the rear of the console. It works great, and leaves my USB ports open for data.

#100 ·
The factory USB port will NOT maintain charge on my Galaxy Note 2 while the screen is lit. It "slows" the discharge to make it all day usable in a road trip application, but it still drains. The two hour road trip from Indianapolis to Louisville yesterday had me using GPS, and streaming audio (over Bluetooth) the entire time. Battery started at ~90% and was down to ~80% over the two hour stretch. Plugged into the USB port in the center console the entire time.

I'm considering a higher powered USB charging solution instead of the factory plug. I don't use the USB for data anyway, so it's no big loss IMO.

#102 ·
If the slow loss of battery continues to bother me, I can always go to Walgreen's and buy a cheap $5 USB charge adapter for the 12V outlet. I used to have one until I gave it to my niece. It worked fantastically better than the more expensive one I got at Target. I can't remember what brand it was or how much it was exactly, but I had to exchange it once and it still would not work. I just threw it out eventually.

#101 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.