P1409 p0113 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-29-2013, 02:02 PM   #1
gtrman84
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 112495
What I Drive: 2000 White 2.0 spi

FF Reputation: 1 gtrman84 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
P1409 p0113

Hey errvrybody, I just purchased a brand new, pre-owned 2000 2.0 spi focus from a friend for 200 bucks. He said he was driving home from school and it basically just fell on its face and lost all of its power. It will start up if you play with the gas pedal, and you can drive it but it has no usable power. If I give the gas more than a feather touch it just stumbles and falls on its face. It acts and sounds like my 4 cylinder s10 did when one coil went bad. I replaced the coil, wires and plugs...but no bueno...same symptoms.

Doesnt show a cel, my scanner brings up codes P1409 and P0113. Sorry for the long post dudes but ive been searching the interwebs and this site for months trying to get this rig running decent.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2013, 03:00 PM   #2
zetecDon
Where am I?

Fan#: 62506
What I Drive: 02 ZX3, 02 MX-5

FF Reputation: 28 zetecDon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (45)
Moved to "General Technical Chat" as "SPI Performance" is to discuss performance upgrades.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:44 PM   #3
bile0026
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97349
What I Drive: 2009 Amber Gold Metalic Focus

FF Reputation: 7 bile0026 Good Standing Member
Have you checked the timing... IIRC these have a belt and it may have skipped timing, also how many miles? Might be time to change it anyways... If you have 90k+ you should probably replace the belt and if there's an issue with the timing it would be fixed when you re-time it while changing the belt.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:08 PM   #4
gtrman84
Focus Rookie

Thanks for the move zetec, my mistake.

I've been wondering about that bile, would the timing show up as off on a scanner if the belt has jumped? I've got a timing light but i've never checked the timing on a front wheel drive car, I guess it should be about the same as checking on a rear wheel drive, guess I'll find out tomorrow.

The car does have 115 k...it needs to be replaced either way.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:51 PM   #5
bile0026
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97349
What I Drive: 2009 Amber Gold Metalic Focus

FF Reputation: 7 bile0026 Good Standing Member
The p1409 code has to do with emissions and p0113 has to do with the IAT sensor. You may want to check the IAC valve and the sensor as well as you might have a plugged cat which could cause the emissions code. I think IAC problems are fairly common and that will cause those stumbling issues especially when you start to give it some gas.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:35 AM   #6
gtrman84
Focus Rookie

I checked the timing with my scanner. After the car had ran for several minutes, while idling *poorly* the timing advance bounced around with lows around 13 and highs up to 28 degrees. Do you guys think this confirms a timing belt jump? I just dont want to dive into changing out more parts if I dont have to, but that seems like the timing is waaay off to me.I know the belt needs to be replaced anyway with the mileage on the car, but im trying to make some money on this car and get this problem sorted out as cheaply as possible.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:32 PM   #7
Oblivion
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92148
What I Drive: 2001 Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 3 Oblivion Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrman84 View Post
Hey errvrybody, I just purchased a brand new, pre-owned 2000 2.0 spi focus from a friend for 200 bucks. He said he was driving home from school and it basically just fell on its face and lost all of its power. It will start up if you play with the gas pedal, and you can drive it but it has no usable power. If I give the gas more than a feather touch it just stumbles and falls on its face. It acts and sounds like my 4 cylinder s10 did when one coil went bad. I replaced the coil, wires and plugs...but no bueno...same symptoms.

Doesnt show a cel, my scanner brings up codes P1409 and P0113. Sorry for the long post dudes but ive been searching the interwebs and this site for months trying to get this rig running decent.
Hello, gtrman84. Not to sound rude, but! Randomly changing parts cost money, and isn't a great way to solve a problem.

With that said: The two DTCs (diagnostic test codes) you posted can be found on Google real fast!
P1409: EGR Vacuum Regulator Solenoid Circuit Malfunction (AutoZone link)
P0113: Intake Air Temperature (IAT) (FocusFanatics link from 2013!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bile0026 View Post
The p1409 code has to do with emissions and p0113 has to do with the IAT sensor. You may want to check the IAC valve and the sensor as well as you might have a plugged cat which could cause the emissions code. I think IAC problems are fairly common and that will cause those stumbling issues especially when you start to give it some gas.
Ugh! I hate the placement of the IAC on the Ford Focus. I made a video (my best shot at reluctantly crawling under there again) recently.
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

There's also a GREAT write up on this site, with pictures!
- http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=262990

Back on topic:
My guess leans towards the EGR failure that causes this.
From personal experience: If you disconnect the EGR valve (large silver object): The vehicle will stumble, fumble, and if, and only if! You feather the gas: Will it stay running.
I will make a video real quick just to show you this. Be right back (I'll edit this)!

Is this what is happening to it (but not as severe)? Also, the deep-throat noise is because I do not have a catalytic converter on the vehicle right now.
That has nothing to do with the EGR valve being removed. Just in case you were wondering. Don't want any confusion here.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

... and now time to go hook it back up.

Also! As stated in the forum post regarding the IAT: Try cleaning off the MAF sensor.
I believe it uses a security torx bit ($10 at an auto parts store for a 10-piece set?). But you shouldn't need that.
You just need to unscrew it (the MAF hardware), and spray off the little sensor (but be very gentle.. that thin piece of metal is what does the job).

MAF cleaner is like ~$5 just about anywhere. Doesn't take much at all to clean it off.
If it is an air intake issue, and is rough at idling, as others have said: It could very well be a dirty / damaged idle air control valve (IAC).
And/Or a sticking throttle body (for when you feather it). Too much air, not enough fuel will cause it to stumble and fail. Come to think of it, there could be a lot of causes.

Bookmarks & Social Networks