Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Magnaflow Muffler and Resonator......Is it right for me?

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  freemind 
#1 ·
Hello, first time caller, many time viewer of the forum. I have an 02 DOHC Sedan that has an exhaust leak somewhere right around the muffler. The car is completely stock but since I'm already gonna dive into the exhaust system I figured I might as well upgrade it a little. I'm thinking about a Magnaflow 12225 open flow muffler and a Magnaflow 18125 resonator with one of those hooker long exhaust tips on the end so my exhaust doesn't look like a potato launcher. Also I forgot to include that I'd be upping the exhaust diameter to 2.25", and that I'd have a pretty reputable exhaust shop do the rest of the pipe work after I supplied the muffler/resonator/tip. I'd like to hear any suggestions/objections to what I plan on doing. Any input would help a ton. I'm mostly looking for my poor car to stop sounding like a sad riding lawnmower and more like a car that has some depth and volume, while not upsetting the neighbors too much.

#3 ·
I have 2.5 inch with magnaflow muffler and resonator (the 18" one). Sound is quiet unless I'm really getting on it. Anything below 1500-1600 rpm is basically inaudible from inside the car. Outside the car is extremely quiet to. I have a friend who knows when (and who) approach his house by listening to cars that drive by or pull up. He can never tell when I roll up to his house though. I don't notice any significant drone on the highway either.

I bought my system from trubendz. Haven't had an issue yet with it after over 15K miles. Your way works to just make sure it is a mandrel-bent system. But any reputable exhaust shop should be able to do that.

#5 ·
The best thing IMO is, get a long tube header, 2.5" Flex pipe coupled to 2.5" tubing. As far as the resonator and muffler, it's up to your taste. Currently I use a borla set up and I will never use anything else.

But like I said, go 2.5"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.