Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Zetec build

7K views 65 replies 7 participants last post by  craps 
#1 ·
Hey guys I am kinda new to the forum and have recently been able to borrow 2500$ from family to get a new car ( maybe a little more depending on what I'd need). I love my car I have now (03 ford focus zts) and was thinking of buying a svt( sell my car to buy ) but then again I'd like to see what I could do with around 2500$ to mod my zetec motor for better hp. Looking to do a motor rebuild. Labor I won't have to be paying. Was trying to find a good kit or what internals I want to push more hp. Would it be worth trying? Vs just getting stock svt and going from there with small mods? Also would svt 6 speed transmission match up with my zetec motor? Cause im going to want to do 5 speed swap as well. I'm for sure wanting to do a tune if I do any of that. I have aftermarket headers and catback exhaust already on my car. Just wanting to push some decent hp. And if I go turbo/supercharge anyone know where I could acualy find a full kit? My car has 155k miles( reason for wanting to rebuild. Considering this would be my project car and don't like higher millage. Any help will be greatly appreciated:)

#27 ·
I meen I have a idea of mill heads from guys at work having to send em off, sure they could help me with it. So I need to look for svt exhaust? Ill probably doing all of this. Fixing my leaks ASAP. What will milling and changeing cams do for me? That suspension is kinda cheap, that's front struts and rear shocks?? That then springs? Or use stock springs?

#28 ·
Its all new springs from what I see. Lowers your car a little too. Cams and milling heads gives you power, though I'm not sure how much.

#29 ·
The whole point of milling or decking the head would be to up the compression ratio. you can get away with 0.030" but I would not go further than that. I shaved mine 0.020" but I also had gone with lower compression pistons. Higher compression = higher HP on a NA car. you either reduce the compression and go FI or up the compression and stay NA.

this will require you to run a higher octane due to a higher compression ratio.

Cams would allow for the valve train to open for longer or deeper or both so the air will be "easier" to flow in or out.

you have to watch for the CAMS though as there are only a few that can be had with the stock valve train and with out machining of the head to allow for clearance of the cams. this is why it is recommended to have the cams fitted and clearance when the head is being machined.

Cam gears will allow for the car to be dyno tuned. people have gotten as much as 5-10 HP after that on stock cams alone due to the "slop" that is present in the stock timing system.

its all new springs, dampners, and a rear swaybar (larger if you already have one). It is the SVT suspension. Its also new, which any car with 10 year old springs, and shocks that are OEM could do with a refresh.

#31 ·
shows that its all only around 280$?? is that right?
so magus what are you saying i should do? as far as motor goes?
the svt headers id like to do what all would be neaded to make tha header swap? and from there what catback exhaust?

fixing all the leaks and doin most of all that is what i think i may be doing.

#32 ·
To be honest I would leave your car alone. You still have not informed me or the other members of the forum what you are looking for.

I would do the suspension refresh and then keep the car as is. do little things. Get a SVT exhaust (Header, CAT, Flex, Oil Dipstick, Power Steering Line, EGR Bung). Get a Tune. Get a SVT air box and snorkel and put a drop in K&N in it. Get a aftermarket or port out your TB if you wish (mostly just improves throttle response).

I would leave it at that until you have your OWN money. a vehicle while I still consider it an investment (in non monetary ways as I have joy in it, its a hobby, it allows me to do fun things with the kids) it is an investments which you do not get any financial return on. you put $2k into the car of "borrowed" money and some one hits you or you hit them and that's out the window. you want to sell the car you wont recover any of it.

To brake open the motor will cost you likely more than $1,000 to do the smallest tweak in the motor. Get the suspension, get the bolt ons, get a tune (would do this first) then call it a day.

if you tell us what your looking for we can help more.

Drag? Auto-X? Track Days? Just a bit more responsive? MORE POWER!!? Fun in the bends?

a auto-x car will be crap at drag racing, and a drag racer wont be good at much more than going in a straight line. depending on what you want and how you intend to use the extra power will determine what is recommended to you.

Ultimately its your car. but IMHO clean it up, do a good tune up on it, do a compression check, fix any leaks you have, get the suspension, get a Tune, add bolt on's, done. ANy further your going to be over $1k for just "1" item.

#33 ·
Thanks. Like iv been driving my car for 4 years as my daily and it just doesn't have the get up and go that I'd like to see I'm not looking for going 120 or anything but I'd like to best a riced out Honda...it's just I didn't wanna go the import rout cause so many and iv personaly loved the way focus's look. Just wanting more power and take turns better. Like I hate when I go to get on it at all that from 2-4k rpm it's so slow like it doesn't start climing till I hit right at 4k. Little more power. Better response and fun on turns, takeing any turns kinda sucks with the suspention iv got(stock)

#34 ·
Then get the SVT suspension, Get a Tune from Tom, and get the SVT exhaust header swap. Or sell the car get another focus that has a manual. you will have more fun with that also.

#35 ·
Thinking bout it, I found a focus that's turboed and all but I gotta make sure the turbo isn't ebay. I asked the guy where he got it and he said "vividracing.com" anyway you could check it out? Cause I saw the turbos but it shows for the focus st. I really like the car just gotta make sure it's a good buy. Said he has had motor built to hold the boost and along with the transmission.

#36 ·
again only my opinion, I would spend the $150 or so and take it to a shop and have them do a full inspection of it before buying the car and work out some agreement where the sale is dependent upon completion of the testing and the cost is shared.

Me also would not want to buy the car done, all though that is the cheaper way. I would want to do it my self to both learn the experience and also know the work did not have short cuts.

Edit:

Also there are really only a few manufactures of turbos that are worth anything that provide the flow and the boost needed with out having huge turbo lag on the focus. most place may just rebuild these turbos and "add" bits and brand them as their product. Usually a casting number or a serial number and a call to the company can verify the date and age of the turbo and also what makes it "special".

#38 ·
just a FYI, test drive and have a shop inspect are two different things. on a modified boosted car I would have a shop look at it. they will likely perform a compression test, check for leaks, run codes, inspect the suspension, check the fluids (brake & coolant) for contaminants. You could go as far as getting an oil analysis and say the sale is dependent upon favorable results. There is a lot you can do out side of just driving it.

#39 ·
Yeah I will I work on cars when doing oil changes we inspect the front end all fluids leaks belts ect. Ill be checking all of it.

But iv desides not to even go look at it cause he has zero paperwork for it. So not sure what to do. No focus on Craigslist that's worth the buy. No manuals here where I am

#40 ·
no paper work or receipts dont touch it.

Get on the for sale section here see what it costs to get a new car and then sell your car and buy one from another member.

#42 ·
do you have vacation days? you work 6 days a week 52 weeks a year? if that's the case then why mod your car if you cant enjoy it because your working? and when would you have time to work on the car?

#43 ·
At work I'd have time. My family owns 5 Midas shops and I work for them. Like when we are slow I get to mess with my car. And I drive 30 mins to work on highway so that's where I have my little fun lol but I don't wanna go far away to look at a car and not end up getting it

#44 ·
^ +552627288987

I work 7/365, but I only work 45 hours. I usually work 3-5 hours a day, restaurant shifts. I have most evenings after 2 pm to tinker. I'm sure you have time.... you can't work 70+ hours a week. There's always time.

#45 ·
dont know how to help you there. I flew from Michigan to Boston to pick up my car. Great thing on the forum is you can do a search for that users posts and you can view the vehicle history by that and look at there posts. You have to be transparent when you are selling a car on a forum when you have also posted about the problems that car has had.

Dont know of anyone who has had bad results buying a car though here.

#46 ·
true, thanks and i work 7-4 Monday-Friday Saturdays 8-4. and i sometimes get time off. its just my times off its usualy to go see my girl that is 4 hours away at tha moment. so its just hard. but i will check the forums for a car just to check things out

#47 ·
Yeah... having someone that far away sucks.... 4 hours? That's how long it takes to get from central Maine to Boston, mass! Some of those nights from 4-onward are good times to look around though

#48 ·
And I feel ya on not wanting to travel too far to look for cars. I put over 300 miles out in my f250 to find my focus. Cost a lot. Haha

#49 ·
Haha yeah and it's just hard cause I meen when I finally get time off I'd like to see my girl:/ I may just do some of those little mods hopefully get better response out of my car I'd like little more power. But i found a svt 3900ish probably take a little less it is a hour drive, guy said needs suspension 02 sensors and needs front windshield 97k miles may consider that, needs 2 little body work done. But if I get it I'd like to have it looking real clean dropped a little tints tune fresh paint. Just not sure:/ not the best with a manual since my auto focus has been my daily for 4 years now. Love my little focus

#52 ·
Your late for work and Driving onto the on ramp of the tollway. There are 5 cars in staggered lanes that have been holding you back from passing. When you get to the end of the ramp you Down Shift to 3rd, Floor your newly modded focus and pass the traffic, shifting into 4th as you switch lanes to pass the last two cars. Open highway ahead, cruising as fast as you want to go, you smoothly shift into 5th and listen to that new exhaust Prr like a kitten,

That is why you drive a manual
Control, speed management, and FUN!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.