Focus Fanatics Forum banner

what kinda power am i making???

4K views 29 replies 10 participants last post by  SlickWilly 
#1 ·
Im new to the forum world and i just got my car not long ago. its an 02 ZX3 and it has a lightened flywheel, .381 Comp Cams, an AEM short ram with a K&N filter, a cat back system and a stage 1 clutch. stock HP is said to be 130. i was just wondering what kinda power gains i should have with my setup. any feedback would be greatly apprieciated.

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum [welcome] [ffrocks] [loveff]

Do you have the stock exhaust manifold and cat on the car still?

Each Zetec is different, mainly due to the variances in cam timing due to the way our cams are timed IMO. Some motors are a lil stronger than others but they all fall within certain hp and tq numbers.

Check out the Zetec Performance Chat sticky threads HERE to get an idea of where your at. [thumb]

#3 ·
There wasnt much in the other threads that helped but it is a good guide as to what ill buy next and for that i thank you. I am running the stock mani and i do believe that the cat is still on the car. i have driven others and mine is the fastest focus ive ever driven. maybe its because mines 5 speed and it feels different idk.

#4 ·
The 5 speed makes a huge difference compared to the auto which saps up a lot of power.

Here is a link to Sport Compact Car's project focus they had back in the day. I consider it a must read for Zetec folks who want to make some power.

Part 1

Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

#6 ·
i have a turbo that i wanna put on it this spring to get a little more out of it and i guess my next question would be what is a safe number to set boos at if i decide to turbo? my buddies say about 8 lbs. but i wanna know for sure. i dont wanna make my motor shred itself runnin too much

#7 ·
Only the Dynos knows.

Without adjustable cam gears(dyno tuned of course)and perhaps a tune for your mods you are not putting down what you should be.

Without putting it on a dyno, you and everyone else are just pulling numbers out of your butts.

TROOF

#8 ·
i understand that. im not lookin for an exact number just a ballpark. i figured that with as many members that this site has there would be someone with a similar setup. it doesnt mattter all that much at the moment anyhow because my syncro went bad today and now i cant shift. looks like ill be puttin it up for the winter and maybe gettin back on it next year. BUMMMER :(

#12 ·
it doesnt mattter all that much at the moment anyhow because my syncro went bad today and now i cant shift.

1 syncro going bad will only make it hard to shift into the corresponding gear.
If you can't shift into any, it's more than a syncro ...

Look into the cables. They can pop out of the shiter base (most common cause for this is a broken base, buy a SVT or Contour metal base if you can), or the cables ends can slip and throw adjustment out of wack.

The transmission itself is pretty tough and if it's taken care of can take oodles of abuse.

#13 ·
I'm new to the FF...and just wanted to say thanks for the links on your post.....very helpful for my project. It will be my first little Hot-Rod, have had many Old School ones over the years as I'm in my 50's. Been wanting to do something different and stay true to American made muscle so I recently came across 2003 focus zx3 Saleen with 80k on it. It has bolt on mod's already but have another motor n trans from salvage to start serious work on. My goal is 250+ hp naturally aspirated. So even though I'm a newb to the 4 cyl. game I take it seriously. Any and all info to this new game is helpful and would be greatly appreciated. I read all 4 parts and made many notes as to the suppliers for these parts. All new to me as Holley, Edlebrock, etc. are all still in the old game....which is still cool as American Muscle still Rules and Ricers is what's for breakfast. Just trying to do it on there level now.
Thanks, Robert <The Old Man>

Attachments

#15 ·
lmao at the ricer dig! It's just too bad that it's taking "American Muscle" so long to catch up to the technology and power/liter output of the ricer engines. [;)] I was embarrassed to see that the 2004 Zetec I picked up has an iron block.... Ricer engines have been all aluminum for well over 20 years now. You can't tell me there is any benefit to an iron block over an iron sleeved aluminum block. Other than cost maybe.

Swap in a 2.0L/2.2L Honda engine and you can hit 250-300whp N/A with a few bucks.

#17 ·
Ok so i took the advise to look at my shift cables and it ended up being a broken clip under my intake. its shifts again[clap] as for gettin a tune i really need one and cant think of anywhere around where i live to get one... I have however been lookin for some different bolt ons and i have made a list... now i am a noob so dont laugh

1.) 65mm Throttle Body (BBK or Focus Central) not sure which is perferred
2.) FSWerks Underdrive Pulleys
3.) DC Sports fart can (for looks only because the back of my car looks necked)
4.) A 4 to 1 Speed Daddy header (paid $50 from a guy locally)
5.) Massive front and rear strut braces

Does anyone have anything else i should look into?

#18 ·
1. Wont gain much power at all.
2. Maybe a pony or two
3. Most muffler shops will weld on a tip that isn't a coffee can
4. For 50$ that's a good deal, maybe 2HP
5. One looks cool under the hood, one takes up trunk/hatch space.

If your lucky your pushing 120-125HP to the wheels on a good day, depending on mileage, wear and tear and many other factors.

#20 ·
Agreed, then get the SVT header, flex, and ORP or cat and you'll be putting out pretty much all you can minus a few pony's here and there. With just the header and the tune you WILL feel a increase in the seat of your pants.

#21 ·
could i really only be making only 120 with my current setup? idk but to me that seems a bit low with my cams, intake and what exhaust i do have. i know the gain even with that wouldnt be alot but it should be somethin right? not to sure if the light flywheel that i have helps with anything but reducing rotational mass. even without a tune i have read that a stock zetec runs about 130hp maybe im wrong idk. but all replies are appriciated, im just glad that there are people out there kind enough to take the time to help out.

#22 ·
Its 130 at the crank, only your cams gave you any real power change. The intake might of given you 1HP if your really lucky, the exhaust would be about the same gain. You don't gain horsepower by reducing rotational mass either.

My best friends ZX2 with throttle body, header, exhaust, OR Test pipe, Cold Air Intake, Light weight flywheel, short throw and stage 1 cams:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvc6CY8pdpQ

Pretty much stock 4.2 V6 F-150 with a 4" lift on 33" tires stock other than an exhaust, stock gears: (My old truck)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2cuOY8n_AQ

I am sure you can assume my friend and I know how these compare to each other, fact of the matter is, congratulations your as fast as a stock lifted V6 F-150 on mud tires. Our cars are eco box cars, there not made to go fast, there for simple cheap bolt on's will not make them fast. You have to spend your money to make them fast. That is what we are all trying to get at.

I am not going to say there is, but I am also not going to deny that there may or may not be a video of a "comparison".

If you really don't want to be bummed, don't watch my videos of my 4.6L work truck.

#25 ·
Im headed to FocusFest this year and itll be my first time and if i dont have a tune by then maybe ill be able to get one there. Im not to worried about it right now because theres well over a foot of snow on the ground in my neck of the woods so shes just hangin out in the garage

#29 ·
[/ATTACH]

These are both pics from the day after i got it. for the most part it still looks about the same with the acception of the rims, interior leds and painted accents. oh and i fixed the hood release haha. ill upload some better ones when the snow melts and i repaint the 17s

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.