Focus Fanatics Forum banner

COB License plate LEDs

3K views 29 replies 11 participants last post by  Dukttape 
#1 ·
So a buddy of mine is a bit of an LED whore and he ordered up a "new" style of LED. They're called COB LEDs. Both of us haven't seen them before so we're figuring they're one of the newest styles out.

So as you can see I have a 42 draft designs 14.5v license plate LED and two new COB LEDs around it. The green panel on the COB is what produces the light...all of it. And I'm thinking they should last a lot longer than the standard 12v license plate LEDs because of that huge heat sink on the back of them. Anyway I ramble on. Here's what they look like on the car.

See less See more
#3 ·
I like them but I just installed them so I'll probably like them until I get pulled over for "underglow". They're like twice as bright as my 42 draft designs.

#14 ·
Hmm. That would be a lot of light. But I'm one talk. The 08-11s have a t10 socket for all interior lights so I bought a 24 LED panel with a universal socket plug.

#15 ·
I am not sure of the point for a heat sink though, since one of the selling points for any led or smd bulb is low heat, resulting in longer life. The only ones I found on ebay are 31mm, unless you buy from Hong Kong, then they have some 39 mm ones. I know the 00-04 uses 36-39 mm.

#16 ·
Low wattage LEDs produce little to know heat. However, high power/ multiple LED panels produced a decent amount of heat. Oddly enough also when you run an LED for an extended amount of time it produces a noticeable amount of heat. That's what kills standard LEDs in the license plate sockets. With the right amount of heat for an extended period of time LEDs burn out... Thus the heat sink. Also LEDs produce heat on the backside of the light rather than the front like standard lights.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.