Focus Fanatics Forum banner

SMF for mk3

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Lost216 
#1 ·
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=321414

I came across this earlier today and thought that I would share it with you all. According to him, the ST and the NA have the same part# for the DMF that comes from the factory. The gains he posted seem a little fishy however I don't doubt it considering how hard the engine lugs when trying to do a first gear pull. If we can get a SMF for out MTX-75 on top of header and a Throttle body I don't see how we cannot have 200+ at the wheels. What are your thoughts on the subject? Does anyone know for a fact that the ST and the NA share the same flywheel, as SUSS6052 said:
Not likely given the fact that the NA uses an mtx75 and the ST uses an MMT6 gearbox. One was developed by Ford specifically, the other is built as a joint venture with Getrag and Ford.
However, as ST3 4 Me said:

It appears that the 2.0 Duratec and the 2.0 Ecoboost have the same flywheel. according to my source there is no mention of a non DMF application for the 2.0 Duratec. with that said images show two different flywheel face designs.

EDIT:

The flywheels are the same. Part numbers for both the 2.0 Duratech and 2.0 Ecoboost match. Source: Ford Helm shop manual.

I still say pull yours to find out if they match. It wouldnt be the first time a drawing and part number have been wrong
There's some contradictions going on here and I was wondering if anyone has removed their clutch/flywheel and has pictures.

#11 ·
Because it took us 5 posts to figure out what you were talking about. Be less vague next time.

#7 ·
Gains to wheels? I'm betting 2 maybe 3 hp up top, but with a loss or torque due to inertial difference.

Changing the mass of the flywheel will change the feel of the engine's revability, but when you're balls deep in the throttle, having a sprung 40lb flywheel, or an unsprung 25lb flywheel won't make a huge difference in overall power output at the tires, especially considering there's still a 30 pound clutch assembly attached to it.

#8 ·
I believe an upgraded clutch assembly is included. With what you said, what's easier to start spinning? What will last longer? When you're going balls deep in the throttle what range is the most fun? Personally I'd rather do a first/second pull that slams you in your seat rather than doing a third/4th gear pull on the highway (even so it's easier to spin a lighter mass giving a noticeable benefit)

#9 ·
"giving a noticeable benefit"

Once the clutch is fully engaged, I'd lean toward negligible, not noticeable. I'd definitely spend the money on lighter wheels before this (same concept, but much more drastic benefit), but every little bit helps in the end.

#10 ·
I'm going to say that it could be possible, although the gearboxes aren't laid out at all similar internally for the flywheel to be the same at least in respect to the engine side, although short of pulling the transmission to check the actual part numbers and verifying the part numbers and spline count it's just a bit suspect to assume that they are correct.

The MTX-75 uses a Dual Mass Flywheel, but so too does the DCT. Since they did not post the part number they said was from the service manual I find it a little bit suspect that it would be the same part used in varying torque requirements. What would have infinite life for the 160 hp/148 lb-ft of torque of the stock 2.0 L Duratec i4 would be stressed much more at 252 hp/270 lb-ft of torque.

It would however make transmission swaps a whole lot easier that way for the shade tree guys wanting the 6MT or a 5MT downgrade.

Most Ford parts of a particular type have the same base code, but that doesn't make them the same exact part.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.