Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2012 Focus Transmission Shaking

393K views 1K replies 297 participants last post by  drag-t 
#1 ·
I've had my new Ford Focus for less than 2 months. I'm about to take it back to the Northside Ford Service Center in San Antonio, which will make my fourth time to have it back in service since I bought it. At very low speeds, like in stop-and-go driving, with light breaking pressure, the car shakes and shutters. At first I was told it's just the way the new transmissions are. I drove to another dealership and drove another Focus. The problem was not there. So I took it back in and was they given a copy of a service bulletin that says the shuttering problem will soon clear up and the clutches needed time to break in. The problem got worse. I took it back in a third time, and on the way a cooling fan motor burned up, and after a week they said the cooling fan motor was replaced and the shuttering couldn't be felt. Well I drove it off the lot, turned around, and asked the service rep to go for a ride. When I showed him what I had been experiencing he was wide-eyed and went back in to get the transmission expert who also took a ride and said that's a real problem because our legs were shaking inside the car. The tech then agreed that he would not be happy paying $21,000 for a car that acted this way. So now, I'm leaving it at the service center again. Oh, and the trans tech now says he thinks if may be a braking problem. Has anyone experienced the same thing? I'm very, very close to just parking it and hiring a lawyer. I feel taken for a ride, and not in a Ford Focus.

#624 ·
Hopefully mine is fixed!!!

Took it to dealer and got same response. Trans needs to break in. My daughter drives the car all the time and she has brought it to me and I drove it without any problems. She could not believe it did not act up for me. The day before her appointment at the dealership, she asked me to ride with her for the day. Under normal driving conditions, after about 20 miles, it started a bad shudder at low speed ranges and under a pull (uphill for instance). When we returned home, I called the dealership and explained the drivability conditions and they ended up replacing the clutches. However, a three day job turned into two weeks. And they ended up breaking the speed sensor and having to replace it in the process. Car has only 10,000 on it. I'll let you know in another 10,000 if they fixed it.

#628 ·
...Under normal driving conditions, after about 20 miles, it started a bad shudder at low speed ranges and under a pull (uphill for instance). When we returned home, I called the dealership and explained the drivability conditions and they ended up replacing the clutches...
MR.MIKE,

I’m reaching out to be sure it’s still driving well since the last visit to the dealer. Please don’t hesitate to get a hold of me if you want my help.

Thank you for your sympathy. I don't want rain on anybody's parade during this holidays...
I’m doing all I can to get this looked into, Ysteven. I shot you another follow-up.

...It has spent more time it seems on Ford property than my own property/driveway. I'm supposed to get it back today...
SportyChick,

I wanted to check in with you after you got your ride back. Please let me know.

Cory

#626 ·
My car has been at the dealership for nearly 2 weeks, the clutches are being replaced (TSB 11-12-13). I've owned this car for over 2 months and it has been at the dealership 4 times now. It has spent more time it seems on Ford property than my own property/driveway. I'm supposed to get it back today.

I called the Ford sales department yesterday and told them that I wanted to sell the car back to them/Ford. Told them to go have a look at it since it was there and let me know how much they would give me. I meet them this afternoon when I pick the car up to discuss numbers.

I've lost all patience with this car, first time I've ever had buyer's remorse. Had I known like revhigh said in another thread to another member all this crap about the Focus, I never would have bought it, my fault. I used to love the look of the car and the lay out and all it's features, it made it bearable to deal with it. But now, the issues have gone on too long and I look at the car and want to kick it or drive it into a wall, it's now "ugly".

I pass other Focus owners on the road and feel sorry for them and wonder if they are experiencing the DCT issues. I want to stop them and ask and if they say yes, than hold them and hug them and be each other's support or take bats to our cars....... Sorry, that was crazy Focus talk, I'll stop now.

Anyway, I'm bailing, I can't take this car anymore. I loved my 1998 Ford F150, it was a damn good truck that just wouldn't die and had nearly 400,000kms on it when I sold it to a peach farmer. I miss that truck......

#630 ·
Maybe it's been mentioned in the mass of DCT posts but when you get a bad shudder/vibration/chatter when letting out the clutch on any manual transmission it is usually attributable to oil on the friction plate. The operative term is "friction" and the oil on the absorbent friction plates makes friction application inconsistent. The Focus DCT is a manual transmission (kind of like two manuals bolted together each with its own clutch) one clutch works 1, 3, & 5 and the other 2,4, and 6. It is possible for one to experience a shudder only in 1, 3, & 5 if only one clutch is contaminated but this is unlikely since the primary cause of contamination in a new car is internal oil seal failure.

If you drive a normal manual with a foot operated clutch, you can also generate a very mild shudder by slowly letting off on clutch peddle (engaging the friction plate with the flywheel) while not applying increased fuel feed and this condition can also be felt with the Focus DCT when creeping forward/rearward slowly (although it tends to be lessened with time as the friction plate/flywheel interface wears in).

#636 ·
I occasionally get some hesitation from a stop and grinding between 1 and 2 along with hesitation on the shift. I'm not sure if this is related but according to the dash, I typically get about 29 mpg with mostly highway driving, well below the stated 35 or so mpg. I've got 16k miles on the car so I don't think it's a matter of the engine/trans being broken in.

Any ideas?

#638 ·
The hesitation issue may be the nature of the beast. I bet you experience this when accelerated fairly gently, with shift points at say 2,300 - 2,500 RPMs, like in much urban/suburban traffic? Early shift points are engineered into almost all cars these days for better fuel economy, so this isn't unique to the Focus. However, after the upshift the engine is barely turning more than 1,500 RPMs and there just isn't much torque available, so the engine seems to bog or hesitate. Once up the torque curve a bit, things are fine again.

Why is this so noticeable in the Focus? Conventional automatics have a torque converter to multiply the torque produced by the engine and smooth out unevenness in power deliver. The Focus has none; the clutch can help with this at launch, but not in subsequent gear changes. So the solution to me seems to be live with it or drive it more aggressively.

#641 ·
I bought my Focus used from a Chevy dealer (as they offered the most for my old 2000 Cavalier). It currently has 40,000 on it (purchased with 38,000). It does the jerking from stop to acceleration. I have a warranty through the Chevy dealer, who said that the issue was a recall issue and to go to a Ford dealer (note: they are less than impressive...which is why I didn't buy another Chevy). The Ford dealer said it wasn't a recall and to return in a few days for the car to be looked at. Will this be included in the powertrain warranty? If not, I'm cancelling my appointment, and returning it back to the Chevy dealer and tell them to fix the problem under the warranty they sold me.

#642 ·
It will be covered by the Ford powertrain warranty, if they will in fact admit there is even a problem with the transmission to begin with. They are going to listen to your explanation of what you think is the issue, take it for a test drive, and report back that they didn't find anything abnormal. They'll show you a slip of paper from Ford saying that a slight shudder from stop to acceleration is normal.

It may in fact be normal if its happening occasionally. Mine did it from time to time when I owned it. If it happens every time you hit the gas then I would think that it is abnormal. Best advice I can give you is to thoroughly read through this thread as well as the "Problems with the 2012 Focus" thread and determine how bad the issue is with your car. Chevy won't have any idea what to do with it as they are completely unfamiliar with Ford's dual-clutch transmission, and Ford is going to act like its normal thing that the car always does.

#646 ·
Thanks for the response...
heathermcg,

You got it. [:)] I shot a reply to your PM.

...Fast forward to last night when on a more gentle acceleration we heard an odd "grinding" noise...
Welcome to the forum, SouthernGal! It’s important to me that you’re happy with your ride. Please send me a PM with your full name, phone number, mileage, dealer name/state, and VIN so I can have your regional customer service manager call you.

Cory

#645 ·
I'm a Ford person. So far I've owned a Ford Festiva ('89), a Ford Mustang LX ('93), a Ford Mustang GT ('92), a Mercury Sable ('00), Ford Crown Vic ('96), Ford Explorer ('06), and a Ford Focus ('10). I've also owned two Chevy's mixed in there.

My parents are also Ford people. We're from Detroit and several family members were Ford employees who worked their entire working careers for Ford.

When I got traded in my Sable on my 2010 Focus I was so thrilled that before my daughter even turned 16 and got her license I was thrilled when my parents bought her a slightly used (5K miles) 2012 Focus.

I'm a little less than thrilled today. She had the apparently typical problem of shuddering during gentle acceleration, hesitancy on gentle acceleration, and a hard shift between first and second gears. I assumed that it had more to do with being an inexperienced driver than anything as I tend to accelerate a bit more firmly and I didn't experience those issues.

Then about 6 months into owning the car I got the customer satisfaction program notice about the transmission reprogramming. I took the car in and had the work done.

It didn't solve the problem. In fact it made it worse (actually contributing to the rolling back on an incline issue) and increasingly harsh shuddering and more hesitance on acceleration that wasn't drag race quality acceleration. So much so that even I notice it with my more aggressive driving style.

Fast forward to last night when on a more gentle acceleration we heard an odd "grinding" noise (sounded like dragging something plastic on the ground or shaking gravel in a plastic bottle) and a shudder going up a slight incline into our driveway that felt like the car was going to stall out.

I took the car into the dealership today. When I picked the car up (8 hours later) I was told that if I had any more problems to bring it back in. Well, I wasn't 3 miles off the lot when the grinding noise was heard and a gentle acceleration (stop-and-go traffic) left me wondering if my teeth were still attached to their roots. I drove for a few more miles just to be sure that I wasn't imagining things and headed right back to the dealer. They now have the car for a second day (necessitating a great deal of juggling things around so that my daughter can get to school and work and I can get to school and work since those things are 35+ miles in opposite directions).

I keep reading about having to drive differently with the dual clutch transmission and advice (some of it rather snarky) to just "Google" it and find out how to properly drive your Ford Focus. My issues with that? First, when I Google the DCT and Ford Focus all I manage to find is page upon page of complaints about this car and it's transmission. I don't find any "how to" information. Second, I see advice about waiting for the car to be broken in and how it will get better ... yeah. We've got 13,500 miles on this car. Just how much breaking in should there be? Third, how in the holy heck is one supposed to differentiate between the "normal" shudder and not "normal" shudder?

I've been driving for nearly 30 years and I've driven more than a few cars with manual transmissions - ranging from cheap cars like my Festiva, to pick up trucks, to my Corvette. With the exception of the early days of learning how to drive a manual (which happens to coincide with learning how to drive) I have never had a car shudder and nearly stall. I suppose I should take away from that bit of anecdotal evidence that I am one heck of a driver since I seem to be able to shift gears for efficiently and more effectively than a computer.

I'm exceedingly frustrated and my daughter no longer feels safe driving her car. This was quite an investment as it was to be the car that got her through her senior year of high school and all the way through college before she'd need a new car. We didn't go cheap here as even as a (slightly) used car we dropped $20K.

At what point do you just give up and get a new car? I don't mind having to alter driving habits a bit in order to accommodate the quirks of a good car. But shuddering to the point of nearly stalling should not ever be considered "normal" or "expected."

Perhaps Ford needs to realize that most of us might be willing to sacrifice a few mpg for a car that actually accelerates when called upon to do so, doesn't roll backwards on an incline, and doesn't shudder nearly to a stall when you can't put the pedal to the metal in city traffic.

#650 ·
Some pleasant news!

Cory,

Thanks for the reply. I got some good news from the dealer's service department, but I will send you a PM.

Strix - Thanks for your reply, I appreciate you taking the time.

Kam - Thanks for the reply and the tip. When we get the car back I will remember that.

PratoN - Thanks.

Now for the good news. I got a call from the service manager and after some time being befuddled (the reprogramming was the most current) over why the issues were still going on he did some more research and some more looking. They found a leak in the transmission system (not an external leak) so the dual clutch assembly was getting transmission fluid on it.

They're keeping the car for a while to fix the leak and replace the clutches.

In the meantime they gave me a loaner so that we're not trying to juggle to schedules with one car. It's a 2012 Focus SEL sedan and it's really quite nice. It is interesting to see what the transmission is suppose to feel like. It is more like riding in a well-driven manual transmission. The shifts are more noticeable than in an automatic, but it isn't nearly enough to make you say, "What the heck was that?"

So I've got hopes that once the transmission leak is fixed my daughter's car will be running as it should - which will make both of us very happy.

Thank you all for your advice and feedback. I really appreciate it. I was at my wits' end last night (as was my daughter). I will be back once the repairs are finished to let you know how it all worked out ... and hopefully we'll both be back in love with our respective Foci!

Though I have to admit after driving the 2012 sedan for a couple of days I might just be willing to cheat on my beloved 2010!

#651 ·
They're keeping the car for a while to fix the leak and replace the clutches.

In the meantime they gave me a loaner so that we're not trying to juggle to schedules with one car. It's a 2012 Focus SEL sedan and it's really quite nice. It is interesting to see what the transmission is suppose to feel like. It is more like riding in a well-driven manual transmission. The shifts are more noticeable than in an automatic, but it isn't nearly enough to make you say, "What the heck was that?"

So I've got hopes that once the transmission leak is fixed my daughter's car will be running as it should - which will make both of us very happy.
Good news. Things are looking up. But you might want to temper your hopes just a bit. I had my clutches replaced too and it still shifted sloppily and shuddered afterwards (I think it was a software issue). That's when I did the 5 hard starts and it got much better.

It's great that you have a nearly perfectly operating loaner to compare to. Now you know what's possible. But I'll tell you, a perfectly operating DCT (which mine has been for short periods here and there) is just as smooth as a conventional automatic but shifts even faster. So if your loaner's shifts are more noticeable than a conventional auto, even that one may have some minor issues.

But definitely post again to let us know how it all worked out.

The bad news is that unless your car has an external transmission oil leak, Ford doesn't care about you. The noises don't go away, your friends will laugh at you, and you're probably raping your engine mounts.

Enjoy.
Wow, bad day? [:(!]

#656 ·
i got a new clutch assembly put in two days ago.runs fantastic!
i took the tech for a ride before christmas.he drove for 15 minutes then i drove 15 minutes then him again and geuss what it slipped and he said YAH ITS A SLIPPING.took a month and a half to get the parts in..theres a north american back order on them.got it in and let me say it has never driven this nice.no bucking no jerking no slipping no anything.feels like an automatic trans now.i hope this lasts.he told me its an updated part.
now for the new mft update BLAH

#657 ·
i got a new clutch assembly put in two days ago.runs fantastic!...
Thanks for posting an update, hound; it makes me really happy to see this! [woot]

Cory

#658 · (Edited)
So I put off getting my tranny problem looked at for a few months and drove it for around 14k miles with it shaking and slipping the clutches. After around 6k miles the slipping mostly went away but still shuddered between 1st n 2nd gears when taking off from a stop. I have around 32k total miles on it, May2011 build.

I was worried they might not replace my clutches after drive testing or not find a leak in the bell housing seal. Wasn't sure if they would even look for it ... But they did and it was a leak at the bell housing! Repair for new clutches is under way and eta is 2days to complete. Getting a free rental in the mean time! Really happy to get this done so I can enjoy the dct like when it was new!

Will post back results after I get it back. Hope the rest of you guys (PratoN) get yours fixed too.

#667 ·
...Repair for new clutches is under way and eta is 2days to complete. Getting a free rental in the mean time! Really happy to get this done so I can enjoy the dct like when it was new!...
noahsfocus,

I love seeing posts like this; they’re the highlights of my day! [thumb]

My 2012 Focus SE is back at dealer for similiar issues...They gave me a loaner & its a 2013 Focus & actually runs great!...( I do have confidence that it will be resolved but wonder whats happening?)...
I’m also confident your dealer will take care of it, MJB; please keep me in the loop.

Ford's 'solution' appears to be telling people that the obvious problems with their car (that aren't present on other Focuses) are normal...
Strix,

Have you noticed a change since the last time you visited the dealer? Drop me a line via PM when you decide to return so I can arrange a follow-up.

Cory

#659 ·
My 2012 Focus SE is back at dealer for similiar issues- 18k (local rep is involved..) back in October Clutch pack & seal replaced... reocurred now about 3500miles later.... what gives? They gave me a loaner & its a 2013 Focus & actually runs great! Suggestions,,,thoughts..thanks( I do have confidence that it will be resolved but wonder whats happening?) MJB

#666 ·
Strix----now think about that,,,(picture this) your car is shaking,shuttering,,, & your friends are in car,,,, by the way guys this is how a Ford Focus normally runs,,, hey go buy one its great! I Don't think so ''''''' Ford is a huge profitable company--Im sure & confident they will fix it !( Warrant it longer for peace of mind! ) MJB
Unfortunately Ford has a mixed track record on this type of stuff. The '06 Explorer 4.6 V8 had spark plug issues so they redesigned the heads during the '07 model year to solve it (may have affected the Mustang too). Ok great job Ford. But the '06+ Explorer 4.0 V6's had a bad radiator design and to this day owners are still replacing their radiators for the 2nd, 3rd and even 4th times at $500+ a pop and Ford has apparently never issued so much as a TSB on it. Hopefully whatever issues still remain with out DCTs (I think it's mainly the software) fall into the former category.

#674 ·
Waiting on repair...
MJB,

I made sure Marilyn is scheduled to call you before the end of the day today.

Yeah, it seems to be getting worse...
It’s important that this is resolved for you, Strix. Are you willing to visit another dealer for service? Let me know via PM and I’ll lend a hand.

...My car is in the shop right now getting the cluth pack assembly replaces with the new F revision. Hopefully this fixes my shuddering issue!
daemoniscinxi,

I’m sure your dealer will take care of you.

...ST this time, no regrets other than I should have just waited for the ST for the first purchase...
It makes me very happy that you love your Oxford White beauty, shineboy.

Cory

#670 ·
Wasn't ford giving out free extended warranty plans to people having problem with the transmission? I've had my car in more times than i've ever had a car in the shop in my life (even old junkers!) and have not been offered this kind of deal to make up for all the problems I've had: mft issues, rain sensor issues, front end clunking issues, intermittent IA issues, transmission reprograms, cluth assembly replacement, the list goes on.

My car is in the shop right now getting the cluth pack assembly replaces with the new F revision. Hopefully this fixes my shuddering issue!

#671 ·
I had 2012 SEL And the DCT = POS! At 20,000 miles started vibrating at 55. Long story but short version is Ford had the trans out twice, replaced seals, case, clutch pack twice... And still vibrated. Not to mention Ford treated me like an idiot. Glad to be rid of that pos... And surprising traded in on another Focus. ST this time, no regrets other than I should have just waited for the ST for the first purchase. Would have been a heck of a lot cheaper. I will not by another DCT from Ford.

#679 ·
...I will drive it awhile & see...
mjb457,

Please keep me in the loop.

...Dealer service was fine, problem points back to design/manufacturing issue with Ford...
It’s important to me that you’re happy with your ride, shineboy. Are you still experiencing a concern? If so, please don’t hesitate to send me a PM with your VIN, approximate mileage, full name, best daytime phone number, and dealer name/state.

Reading all of these post seem like Deja Vu of what I am experiencing!...
snow12,

I’m making sure you receive a call from your CSM as soon as possible.

Cory

#678 ·
Reading all of these post seem like Deja Vu of what I am experiencing! I guess this is how Ford likes to thank people for buying from them; giving us the middle finger [scream]. Next time I will do a lot more research so I am not stuck with another F*c*us like I am now.

#682 · (Edited)
I brought my car in when it was shuddering in the parking lot and jumping into 2nd and 3rd gear and test drove it with a technician. They scheduled time to look at my car and they said they didn't find any oil on the bellhousing, but that they were going to do TSB 11-12-13 anyway. (which is good considering the tech drove it and said that the way the car was driving he was surprised I hadn't gotten in an accident already).

I got my car back after the clutch assembly being on back order for 3 weeks and it drives amazingly smooth now. It seems underpowered and more of a slush box now, but at least it isn't jerking around anymore. The tech said the seals were bad and they found it was contaminated with oil, even though there were no signs of a leakage on the outside of the bellhousing. They replaced my clutch assy with what apparently is the newest version (BV6Z-7B546-B). I'm glad I was able to finally get the dealership to replace it, this was my 4th visit (lemon law if the transmission ends up failing again).

The car drives (for now) the way a new car should drive. I can say I actually enjoy driving my car finally! Now they just need to fix MFT (even 3.5.1 is bad), and all the other small minor issues.

#683 ·
...The car drives (for now) the way a new car should drive. I can say I actually enjoy driving my car finally! Now they just need to fix MFT (even 3.5.1 is bad), and all the other small minor issues.
This really makes my day, daemoniscinxi! [woot]

Have you got in touch with Jaclyn (username: FordIVTteam) on the In-Vehicle Technology team for help with MFT? I highly recommend it!

The In-Vehicle Technology (IVT) team can also be reached at 1-800-392-3673 (select #1 for English, #2 for Spanish, and then select #3).

Cory

#686 ·
daemoniscinxi
i had the same thing done....what a fn difference.
all those times they said that how it is its normal.
then this......f them
drives like a new car now.smooth no jerking or shudder or slip
going to call the service rep and tell him i hope this isnt all in my head

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.