Focus Fanatics Forum banner

HID headlamp identification needed

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  04focus-svt 
#1 ·
Ok, just bought my second SVTF (2004 sonic blue). The previous owner had retrofitted it with HID headlamps, but I have a question on their functionality. Everything seems to function fine...hi/low on the projector, turn signal on the amber lens, tiny 1" parking light. My question is this. There is another lens/bulb inboard of the hi/lo projector lens. It does nothing. I have not dug into the wiring yet, although I can see down behind the headlight housing where he tapped into the harness. I've read through some of the forums...is this a Canadian-only driving light, or is is supposed to function in parallel with low beam? Just seems odd that there is this lense with a bulb in it that doesn't do anything. I thought I would seek advise on normal function here before I pulled out the headlamp assy to see what the wiring looks like. On the lens is 'DEPO 330-1124' but I haven't found much via google. thanks for any help. If I can figure out how to upload a pic I will. -Rod in NC

2004 SVTF Red/Red stock 95k
2004 SVTF Blue/Blue K&N drop in filter, Borla exhaust, 155K

#3 ·

If they look like these just chrome. They are DEPO versions of the SVT Mach HIDs. On the SVT Mach HIDs the inner bulb your probably questioning is the high beams. The center actual projector is the actual Low beam HID. It sounds like this guy put in his own bi-xenon projector that does both low and high. For whatever reason.

#4 ·
The Mach HID is bi-xenon. When the "brights" are selected the mechanical cutoff shield is physically moved out of the way, allowing a full circle of illumination. At the same time, the high beam halogen lights, the inboard ones, should also come on. There is something wrong with the wiring if they don't. That said, the halogen really don't so very much in addition to the high-beam HID.

Use this link to figure out what's going on with the wiring:
http://www.ofoc.ca/hid/index.html

#5 ·
^^ This

Here's how mine work.

Low beam with middle HID's only:

High beam with both lights on:

The center halogen don't add much light by themselves but I find they do add a yellower ting to the light output versus the white/blue of the HID's. This helps you to see the edge of the road better when there are no lines and makes it easier to see small details as you approach them.

#6 ·
Perfect! Thanks for the info and pics, guys. I like the idea of having the halogen kick on for high beams only. Yes, my DEPO lights are the chrome style. Knowing that now should help me find some pin-out diagrams of the wires and connect. Looking forward to pulling off the headlight and digging into the wiring to decode how to get that bulb to kick on. Thanks again. -Rod

#8 ·
Well dang. Sorry about my incorrect post. The whole time I've been running my Machs in my old car and I had it wired wrong. I knew they were supposed to be bi-xenon, but I thought they just didn't use them. Here this whole time it was my Jerry rigged wiring job. Good to know.

#9 ·
Rabitccc, seeing your post, I'm now wondering if my headlights themselves are functioning properly. This morning I pulled out the DEPO headlight. I pulled back a bunch of loom off the headlight and main harness...I see no splicing. The plug going into the back of the headlight looks like oem Ford (had 'FED' on the side of the plug) and not a VW plug with yellow wires. So my bi-xenon work, my turn signals work and my little parking light works. Just not my halogen. I think I will leave as is and not mess with it unless any other ideas. I don't feel like tearing into the back of the headlight assy, but this still has my curiosity. I just ordered a factory service manual and wiring diagrams off Ebay...when those show up I will confirm the wires in the stock connector. -Rod

#12 ·
Now this is too funny!!! Rod no longer has this car. I/My son bought it off him... Good guy by the way.

SO.... I indeed have this same question.... I have not looked at this yet. I found this thread after a part number search on the light.

Glad I don't have to bug Rod now that I know the history of the HID install prior to him....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.