Focus Fanatics Forum banner

My Ford Touch Thread

2M views 4K replies 396 participants last post by  Teamlosi23 
#1 ·
A member mentioned about having a sticky for the MFT sytem and I thought it was a good idea. Here's the thread for owners to discuss the MFT system, talk about and share issues they are having and to even share solutions. I know there are several MFT threads already out there, but we gotta start somewhere. Please keep this clean as it's going to be for everyone's benefit.

For everyone's information:
http://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conte...wnerGuidePage&year=2012&make=Ford&model=Focus

Enjoy.

#2 ·
Nice. A bunch of us have asked on random occassions for one to keep all of the information in one place and cut down on redundant threads. Hopefully it will help.

Thanks for setting it up Carl.

#4 ·
Will somebody please post a video demonstrating Sync Services Navigation that is included with the MFT? (not the Voice Activated Navi) There is not a single video on YouTube demonstrating it. Thanks. I am planning to get the $795 Voice Activated Navi but I wanted to know how the SYNC Services Navi on MFT holds up. Thanks

#6 ·
Went out and took a couple of videos. The longer one is still uploading, but shows the MFT during the drive. I could probably have cut out a bunch of the dead time, but oh well. Will post when finished.

EDIT:
Here's the long one. I tried to get it to do most of the things I am aware that it can do. It bounces a bit, guess I should have pushed the headrest down harder.

#5 ·
Things I'd like here:

Current version and build dates affected (2.11 came factory installed on all cars built after Aug 1st for example)
Link to put in your vin to check your build date from sticker
Fuse pull reset instructions
On screen reset instructions
Link to SyncMyiTunes

all I can think of so far

Also, Thank You!! for making the sticky

#9 ·
#12 ·
Well prior to the latest 2.11 update most people said the Nav was responsive and worked well, but issues were still present with MFT as a whole... after the 2.11 update, I've seen a lot of "nav is now choppy and inaccurate" kind of statements... like I said, get MFT, but not the Nav option, save yourself $800 and just use some of that to get a really nice standalone nav unit instead.

#25 ·
anyone having problems with the MFS holding the bluetooth connection to an iPhone 4S. Mine connects and then disconnects after 3-4 minutes. Now it will not connect at all.
It seems that another one here has the same problem. Test with another phone though. It is maybe an iPhone 4S bluetooth problem.

#28 ·
So Bluetooth works fine for your iPhone 4 but not 4S? I paired my friends 4S and it worked fine, but I didn't try it over several days.

You can try reverse pairing.

Or I'd delete all the phones, do a reset of MFT and a hard reset of the phone and do a clean pairing, or a clean reverse pairing. After your phonebook has transferred turn Off the auto phonebook download feature.

I cut and pasted some of the Syncmyride Tips for Phones [wrenchin]

http://origin.syncmyride.com/Own/Modules/SupportContent/UsingSyncTips.aspx

Try a Clean pairing

If you're having trouble pairing your mobile phone with SYNC, try a Clean pairing of your mobile phone with SYNC. Check your mobile phone for Bluetooth settings. Is SYNC listed? It may be listed under Hands-free Devices. Delete the SYNC listing.

Then check the Phone Menu on SYNC for Bluetooth Devices. If your mobile phone appears, delete its listing.

When both devices are clean of any prior connections, then try pairing your mobile phone to SYNC.

Try re-setting your mobile phone

If you're having trouble pairing your mobile phone with SYNC, try re-setting your mobile phone. Please follow your mobile phone directions for safely re-setting it.

Check Security and Auto Accept Settings

Your mobile phone may have Security Settings or an Auto Accept function that may interfere with pairing and connecting your mobile phone with SYNC. Check your mobile phone instructions to be sure the settings are not disabling your mobile phone's connection to SYNC.

Turn OFF Auto Phonebook Download

Try turning OFF the Auto Phonebook Download feature on SYNC. If this feature is ON, each time you connect your mobile phone with SYNC, the system searches for updates. Turning this feature OFF can help stabilize the connection with SYNC. You can choose to manually update your phonebook with SYNC through the Phone Menu.

Remove special ringtones and pictures

If you have problems calling or receiving calls from one or a few contacts, it may be due to a ringtone or picture that is associated with the contact. If this is the case, follow your mobile phone instructions for removing an associated ringtone or picture with that contact. Then try downloading your phonebook to SYNC, again.

Increase the volume

If the volume on SYNC is low when you are using your mobile phone, try turning up the volume on your mobile phone-while it is connected to SYNC. Many mobile phones have a dedicated volume control for Bluetooth-hands-free devices, which will also control the volume when it is connected to SYNC.

#30 ·
Hey! No new photos of shimmer to report! We just got some snow so I may do some wintery shots once we get a bit more. :D

It definitely didn't happen before so it very well could have been since iOS 5 was installed....I'll give some of those suggestions a try.

#34 ·
Faster, Simpler, Better: MyFord Touch Upgrade Provides New and Existing Customers Enhancements and New Features

•Ford will launch performance upgrades and new features for MyFord Touch® beginning with 2013 models – no-charge upgrade will be available to existing owners

•Simpler graphics, faster touch-screen response and easier-to-use controls are among the many enhancements to the voice-activated in-car connectivity system

The new touch-screen interface features new simpler graphics and controls that are easier to use. Customers will experience significantly faster touch-screen response times, one of the top requests from owners.

DEARBORN, Mich., Nov. 7, 2011 – Ford customers said MyFord Touch® could be faster and feature simpler graphics that are easier to use and that’s exactly what Ford plans to deliver with a broad set of performance upgrades to the system – launching first on the new 2013 Ford Escape, Flex and Taurus.

Available early next year – and offered at no charge to existing MyFord Touch owners – the software upgrade enhances the ownership experience as it was developed by listening and responding to customer feedback.

“SYNC® has clearly been a game-changing technology and now we’re changing the game again, showing how quickly we can deliver more of what customers really want,” said Graydon Reitz, director, Ford Global Electronics and Electrical Systems Engineering. “Our strategy to create the SYNC software platform and add the customizable screens of MyFord Touch gives us a level of flexibility and speed to respond to customer input like never before seen in the auto industry.”

The new touch-screen interface features simpler graphics and controls that are easier to use. Customers will also experience significantly faster touch-screen response times, one of the top requests from owners.

New features include support for tablet devices and Audible.com audiobooks, improved navigation maps and enhanced voice recognition interaction.

For a video demonstration of the improvements, please visit: http://youtu.be/c3k4iDZyhYE

Listening to customers

Since MyFord launched last fall, Ford has held four customer clinics in which hundreds of owners talked directly to Ford engineers about their experiences with the new technology. Owner feedback was clear and consistent, revealing that MyFord Touch was a key purchase reason.

A survey of 2011 Ford Edge owners shows that four of the top seven purchase reasons were elements of the MyFord Touch system: the touch screen, steering wheel controls, voice recognition and dashboard styling.

While owners reported that they love the system, there were distinct areas where they wanted improvements. Earlier this year, Ford started delivering on their requests, beginning with more instructions and information on how to best utilize the capabilities of the system.

Ford launched two programs modeled after what consumers experience when purchasing a new electronic device.

First, the company added a new MyFord Touch owner support website featuring how-to videos at www.syncmyride.com.

Second, free “SYNC My Ride” personalized training sessions for new owners are now offered through Ford dealers – scheduled at customers’ convenience.

“The keys to continuous improvement are simple: Listen, learn and respond. That’s how we’re going to keep our customers happy,” said Gary Jablonski, manager, SYNC Platform Development. “Evolving the software with meaningful enhanced features was part of our plan from the very beginning. It’s no different than the experience with our smartphones and laptop computers – except now, it’s your car that gets better.”

Upgrade your ride

All of the new improvements will be offered to existing owners of MyFord Touch-equipped vehicles, including the 2011 and 2012 models of Ford Explorer and Edge and the 2012 Focus. Owners of 2011 and 2012 Lincoln MKX crossovers will also receive the upgrade for their MyLincoln Touch™ systems.

“We’re seizing the opportunity to continuously improve the Ford ownership experience, and revolutionize what it means to own a car,” said Reitz. “Introducing new technology is only one step in our journey to become known as a technology company. Consistently improving it based on what our customers are telling us marks another milestone in that journey.”

Early next year, owners located in the U.S. will be mailed a USB flash drive with the software upgrade for installation that they can do at their own convenience. If they prefer, owners may also visit their local Ford or Lincoln dealer for the software installation. The upgrade mailing will include instructions informing owners how to simply plug the USB flash drive into the MyFord Touch Media Hub’s USB port in order for installation to automatically begin.

New look

The visual enhancements to MyFord Touch are based on simplifying the graphics with larger, bolder fonts, removing low-priority visual content, and designing screens based on a consistent pattern. More than 1,000 screens in total have been updated with the improved look.

“Our goal when designing the upgrade was to simplify the screens and give customers a fast and easy way to get information at any given moment,” said Jennifer Brace, User Interface Design engineer for Ford. “That meant removing buttons, relocating high-use controls closer to the driver’s reach, simplifying tasks and improving font size.”

The new fonts are as much as 40 percent larger on some redesigned screens. The fonts also are wider and bolder to provide easier legibility, particularly among the rapidly increasing number of drivers age 60 and older.

New features

Ford also took the opportunity to update the performance of the system and add new features for customers to help them keep pace with the fast-moving consumer electronics market.

Faster touch-screen response time, for example, was a key request from owners. Initial testing shows that touch and voice response is at least two times faster than the current system.

Also, the software upgrade includes the following enhancements:

•Improved voice recognition experience powered by Nuance

•Quicker voice recognition upon startup and faster command prompt when the voice button is pushed

•Voice commands used in conjunction with navigation are simplified through elimination of the need to provide street direction, e.g., “Main Street” instead of “North Main Street”

•Music requests are simpler by removing the need to include the additional song, album or artist information often found at the end of a name in parenthesis or brackets

•Customers can find their favorite sports team in action via new Sirius Game Finder simply by saying a command such as “Tune to Detroit Lions game”

Tablet device compatibility

•Music and other media content from most popular tablet computers like the Apple iPad can now be accessed through a simple USB connection

•Audible.com audiobook support

•Listen to Audible.com content using voice commands or the easy-to-use touch-screen controls

Connected navigation powered by TeleNav features new map data by NAVTEQ

•Updated map views are richer and feature more 3D landmarks

•Views of freeway junctions and signs are enhanced through photorealistic screen images

•Smart routing options are provided based on a database of historical traffic patterns

Phone compatibility

•Automatic Bluetooth® connection upon vehicle entry has been improved

•Noise and echo cancellation during phone calls has been improved to enhance call quality

Gracenote® album cover art database

•Inclusion of the latest music metadata available enhancing the music playback experience

•Improved voice recognition for music search allowing drivers to pinpoint artists with hard-to-pronounce names or nicknames

#39 ·
Wonder if they have done any "beta" like testing. If so, where can I get my hands on it?!?

#47 ·
I have a question with MFT. I recieved this email

http://syncsupport.ford.com/servlet...EmailID=11q4_ford_xoxx_mft_in&cks=22008788520

But when I got to the update screen, there are no updates available. Does that mean that the update has not been pushed to me yet? Or do I have to run the status checker first?

Good old Ford, no giving us enough info...
It's an e-mail for the 2.11 update. If you've had the 2.11 update installed already that e-mail can be ignored.

#48 ·
I wanted to give an update on my experience with MFT. I have had 2.11 installed from day 1, though the dealer reinstalled it anyway when I brought it in for service. I've been unable to go more than a few days at at time without encoutering some kind of serious issue. I've stopped using bluetooth music streaming as it was clearly the source of some major problems. I switched first to an MP3 player in USB MSC mode. When I had problems with that, I bought a basic 16GB USB thumb drive and tried that instead. Still have numerous problems with it ranging from complete freeze to 10 second freezes between tracks to album art disappearing.

My dealer claimed they had opened a ticket or something with Ford and were waiting for a response. That was back in mid-October. Never heard from them again. I contacted the in-vehicle team on this forum and after one useless response they never followed up. I finally escalated the issues to Ford earlier this week and provided a list of 22 issues I've seen, which in the meantime just keeps growing. Was told the dealer would be in touch with me, but I heard nothing. I got response from the representative quoting a tech which gave some general comments about bluetooth not working and the navigation system being revamped in the next release. None of it actually addressed the specific issues I have.

The biggest complaint I have now is the complete lack of support. Ford has basically told me they won't fix anything and won't even try to do anything about the issues I'm having until the update sometime in Q1. They've offered no workarounds, no suggestions other than things like 'don't use usb music'. Well, I started using that because the bluetooth streaming doesn't work. They didn't offer to replace the APIM (not that I expect it to make a difference). They are also quick to blame the user components (usb device, phone), even though my phone is listed as the best for music streaming, and there is nothing special about my usb device. Finally, when I asked what Ford will do if I still have issues after the update, they had no answer.

The only compensation Ford has offered so far is a premium maintenance plan, which I can imagine probably won't cost them anything since I may well not have the car long enough to use it.

Does anyone know if anyone has successfully pursued a lemon-law case for MFT problems? I was hopeful that the new update will solve things, but the approach Ford is taking for the existing issues (ignore them) leaves me without much hope.

#49 ·
pil___, sorry to hear that.

In regard of using the USB drive, is it FAT32 or NTFS formated ?
I did have a problem with my iPod 3G - bluetooth streaming music on the new iOS5 get me to a nice black screen next day I start the car. So I stopped using iPod and bluetooth streaming. I just got today a new update on the iPod (5.0.1) and I will test again. I never had a single problem with bluetooth connection on my cell phone though, so I do suspect the problem is iPod/iPhone bluetooth compatibility with MFT. There is no such thing "compatible to everything", so don't think everything you'll throw at MFT will work like a charm.

It is also true that, when we talk about complex OS or computer programs, there is nothing much to do to adress a situation before an update/patch is ready to be installed. The same thing is with the MFT, I think. The same goes to iOS too - which was so shitty after the major change to iOS 5 version. I had to live with those bugs until they put on the market a new update : 5.0.1. And I am not sure they will address all of the bugs (the most annoying being the applications that freeze and crush when you expect less).

So, my advice for you would be : hang on, in a few weeks maybe all the problems you are having now will be solved. I don't think a Lemon law will take into consideration an "optional" to address your issues. But maybe I am wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.