Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Going to be needing a new catback. Suggestions?

11K views 46 replies 17 participants last post by  all4focus 
#1 ·
The stock exhaust on my 2001 ZX3 does not have many days left. The whole thing from the cat to the tip is rotting here and there along the way. I figure I might as well put in an aftermarket stainless catback. I'm a college student, so money is short, very short. Thus, I really want to spend as little as possible on the new exhaust. I don't want to have a junky sounding "fart cannon" exhaust though. So what are my best options to save money without sacrificing performance and sound? My local O'Reilly carries the Magnaflow (http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...=Search_03387_1372621_1528&pt=03387&ppt=C0022) and Flowmaster (http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...=Search_03387_1372621_1528&pt=03387&ppt=C0022) systems. From the sound of videos, they seem too harsh, lacking a rich tone like the borla system for the SVT. The magnaflow sounds pretty good, much better than the Flowmaster imo. I'm worried about the noise level though. You can get a ticket for making too much noise where I live.

#32 ·
I just took it on its first trip. The only time it got a little annoying was at 65mph, where it was a little loud. Otherwise, cruising at 55mph and even 60mph was very pleasant. I could barely hear the exhaust at 55mph. I'll see when I can get pics and possibly a video up. It's a busy time of year though.

#36 ·
If you could get the MBRP still I would go with that. But I am with felix on this and will/would go with the Fwerks stealth! I have a header/flex with the MBRP and it sounds great never raspy and at idle can not tell its running. Highway above 65mph it is kinda loud though ( I just turn the radio up lol)

#37 ·
Im actually getting a custom cat back setup put on at the exhaust shop on Saturday. 2.5 inch pipe back to a muffler (header wrapped beside fuel tank) and 3 inch from the muffler to the back bumper. I will be using a Magnaflow knock off style muffler. I hope it comes out sounding good.

#38 ·
Why not use 3'' from the flex? As the exhaust is the hottest at that point compared to the after the muffler. Or just use 3'' thru out then.

#39 ·
Photos!

Here are the promised pics from the BBP installation.

Inside of the big glass pack.

Inside of the small glass pack

This is the Pilot exhaust tip I replaced the ridiculous stock tip with.

Propping up the flex.

Had to cut the pipe here.

Comparison of back portions.

Comparison of front portions.

#40 ·
hmmm I dunno that exhaust looks pretty tiny are you 100% sure it's a 2 1/4" cause sitting next to the stock 1 7/8" exhaust it doesn't look much bigger, I suspect it's really a 2" exhaust. Other than questioning the size though it looks pretty decent. How's it sound?

#46 ·
I'm pleased to see that after a few thousand miles and a lot of salt, there is no rust on this exhaust so far. I seem to be getting better mileage with it as well, especially in town (jumped up about 3mpg). Also, my focus was recently called the "best sounding focus on Youtube." It really is an impressive exhaust for how cheap it is.

#47 ·
About time for another update. This is now the third winter this exhaust has seen, and there is only some minor surface rust spots now. The welds are still pretty clean too. I've usually washed it about once a month in the winter, making sure to wash underneath well, but it has still seen a ton of salt, so I'd say it has held up extremely well!

As for sound, I don't think the glasspacks have burnt out much yet. It still sounds about the same as it did originally and has not gotten noticeably louder. I'm still absolutely in love with the way this exhaust sounds! It never gets old. Any day it is warmer than 40 degrees out, I have my window down so I can hear that beautiful noise in all its glory. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.