Focus Fanatics Forum banner

real world SVT mpg?

28K views 65 replies 50 participants last post by  A Focused Family 
#1 ·
i did a search and didnt find a post but figured there may be one im missing so sorry if this is a re-post... been looking to buy a focus for nice weather commuting and have always loved the SVT.. just hate they require premium and get less gas mileage... so I have been looking for a 2.3 ST.

however, i still love the SVT and would love one.... what are you guys getting real world mpg? I read 26-28 highway... where an ST is rated at 32, and the standard focus 2.0 is in the 32-35mpg.....

I want the best mileage i can get but at the same time want something fun to drive... Im a diehard ford gearhead so the focus SVT fits the bill...

thanks

#2 ·
The SVT is EPA rated at 18/21/26. Which is total crap. Here's a link to my Fuelly account, browse around on that site to get a good idea of what they're capable of MPG-wise: http://www.fuelly.com/driver/swansong43/focus-svt

I average 28.8 mpg. My worst tank (other than a troubleshooting session) was 25.6 mpg. My best was 36.6 mpg. This is with a few mods that may or may not help mpg's: Borla exhaust, HFC, K&N filter, Tom's Tune. I buy E0 gas when I can, 91 or 93. I typically shift around 3-4k rpm, and will blast it up to redline every few days. I accelerate faster than the average car in my area. My commute is a very gas friendly 11 mile drive with 45 and 55 mph speed zones.

Using this comparison on the fueleconomy.gov website, it looks like if you drive 15k miles a year at 50/50 city/hwy, the ST will save $450/year over the SVT.

Hope that helps!

#4 ·
I reset my odometer everytime I fill up the tank, if I top it off i get around 250 miles per tank and on an average fill up i get 230-240 miles per tank. Im sure I would get more if I had different driving habits, but hey it's a SVT and it's hard to not put that pedal to the floor and shift hard![headbang]

#65 ·
I have the same feeling! IT'S AN SVT, and it BEGS to be driven as such! That being said, I would drive up to Flagstaff, AZ every week (145 miles each way) from my place in Scottsdale. I would hit 300-350 miles for each fill up at the gas station (11-12G each week). I was definitely speeding, and found that in my 2002 SVT, the sweetspot for best freeway MPG was right around 3.8-4k rpms in 6th gear. I'll let you do the math on my avg speed. and I have also found that if I am racing around town, it can drop down to nearly 20mpg. Just wanted to add in my stats.

#5 ·
I get about 250-280 miles per tank....which breaks down between 22-26mpgs roughly with mixed driving.

#6 ·
All city I get 24 mpg fairly consistently....and I drive it like I stole it.

#17 ·
My window sticker for my 04' says the highway mileage is 28mpg's for that model year. The other model years had that 26mpg rating which I found out at FocusFest when I saw someone else window sticker. Probably has something to do with the factory tune since it had a couple of revisions. On the trip to FocusFest my first tank of gas was 35.9mpg every tank after that was 29-28 consistently and that's doing 70-85mph at times, all highway. Around town I usually get 22-24mpg's but I work very close to home but it's right on where it should be, cause my other focus gets the same mileage on the same drives to and from work. I also don't baby it either but I'm not running the piss out of it except on occasions when I feel the need for speed. I also shift around 3-3.5k rpm, seems like the SVT like it right there, and even in the book it says to shift at around this rpm's (in the book they go by speed which puts the RPM's in this range). Which makes sense since the cams are like a stg 4's compared to a normal zetec cam.

If you want performance and mileage don't count the ST out. The 2.3l is an amazing motor and very capable of getting great hp and tq out of it in n/a or turbo form, where as the SVT is already maxxed out and the only next step is F/I.

#18 ·
I drive a little over 100 miles a day, mostly highway. I'm cruising at an average of 70+ on the highway and I get an average of 30-32 with mine. I have hit 33+

#21 ·
25 city, 30+ highway for me.

My SVT is bone stock except for tires, and I find that it is very sensitive to driving conditions.

I work near my home and was getting 23-26 mpg for almost an entire straight year, even with occasional highway trips. I shift very conservatively and rarely wring it out (I have never bounced the rev limiter, ever). On a 45mph straight, I am always in 6th gear. I started wondering if something was wrong with my car.

Recently, I needed to go on a long road trip and I had to find out for absolute certain whether something was up, so I decided to try to hypermile it. The trip takes several hours on flat highway with no stops, I actually got up to 33 mpg for the entire trip with AC on most of the time, going 60-65 mph.

So, now I finally do believe those SVT people who get close to 30mpg all the time. It all depends on driving conditions.

Remember, with premium fuel you are losing a huge $/efficiency advantage over regular unleaded cars. Do the math before you decide "yo dawg 26 mpg premium sounds not bad." In my area premium is 30 cents more per gallon.

[strongman][cheers][loveff]

#22 ·
25 city, 30+ highway for me.

M On a 45mph straight, I am always in 6th gear. I started wondering if something was wrong with my car.

Remember, with premium fuel you are losing a huge $/efficiency advantage over regular unleaded cars. Do the math before you decide "yo dawg 26 mpg premium sounds not bad." In my area premium is 30 cents more per gallon.

[strongman][cheers][loveff]
So if you look in the manual it says 45mph is 5th gear (You will get better mpg by keeping it in 5th and maybe 4th if going up hill. but 5th gear on straights at 35- 45 gets better mpg at least in my car.
Also if you do the math for our car you save money by running 93 over 91 and over regular

#24 ·
Damn, my last tank I only got 215 mi... I guess it would help if I didnt wait till last minute to leave for work and school, I end up smashin like a bat outta hell to get there on time lol.

#25 ·
MAF Clean

For best results, and i have to thank Turbo Tom for this, make sure your MAF sensor is clean it makes a HUGE difference. Once i start loosing mpg, it'll drop from 320 miles down to 280 miles per tank i know it's time to clean it. I've made it part of my oil change service. It takes about 15 minutes with some cleaner. Real easy but highly effective.

#28 ·
For best results, and i have to thank Turbo Tom for this, make sure your MAF sensor is clean it makes a HUGE difference. Once i start loosing mpg, it'll drop from 320 miles down to 280 miles per tank i know it's time to clean it. I've made it part of my oil change service. It takes about 15 minutes with some cleaner. Real easy but highly effective.
Do you just use MAF cleaner or does it have to be that eltric cleaner?

#27 ·
I just recently bought my svt and a few days ago did a 30mile trip each way (non stop). Had the cruise set at 70mph, I got 30mpg. Also my new tires aren't broke in, not even 1000 miles on them. I also have a 2003 pzev(auto) ford focus which has the 2.3 engine, same as the ST. The best I've ever gotten was like 33mpg on the highway. City driving, Live in l/a/orange county area, both of those cars get around 18, 20 if i'm lucky. Also I have a lead foot in the city.

#30 ·
i usually get around 250 miles a tank, (mostly city) i do drive fast but i upshift quick. i have seen 280 when i was driving more highway,(top off to bone dry) i wouldn't be surprised to see 300 miles out of a tank if i set the cruise to like 62 for the entire tank. i'm having a new catalytic converter installed this week, hopefully that will help. :)

#32 ·
I get 25 in town or 29 on highway the best I did was 33 and that was straight highway and little to no heavy acceleration but winter it goes down to 16 at the lowest cause of warming it up and lots of wheel spin due to snow and ice

#33 ·
filled up the tank last week. drove 180 miles of pure highway driving then the rest was city, yes i was in a hurry on the highway so i was going between 15 and 20 over. at 250.5 miles my fuel light came on.... this is with the new catalytic converter and clean o2s and maf

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.