Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Tuning Solution (Injected Engineering)

2M views 3K replies 193 participants last post by  1turbofocus 
#1 · (Edited)
What are some suggestions for the entry level programmer? Maybe a 87, 91, and 93 octane tune? Maybe adjusting speedo calibration, or even a speed limiter for parent who bought one of these for their kids, and would like a added piece of mind that their little angels aren't burning the roads up? I think everyone can benefit from a discussion like this, and look forward to everyone's responses.

MK3 Ford Focus Tuning

The graph posted above is a comparison between stock and tuned on a completely stock 2013 Focus Titanium with a DCT transmission. Both runs were made with the hood down with the operating temp at the same levels. The rev limiter was also raised to 7000 RPM's for a apples to apples comparison.

See less See more
#650 ·
Honestly, I don't care about numbers. I just want some of the issues fixed, like no power until 2500RPM. I don't need it to be too high in revs when when I do mostly 95% city driving. If Aron and his guys can fix these quirks of our DCT/NA combo. I'm all for plopping down the money. Price pending though of course.

#655 ·
@aron@injected when I floor the throttle in 1st or 2nd the tires squeal already.(DCT) will turning off traction control help them? or do I want more traction? my friend told me i'll accelerate faster with traction control off. I do have the steeda intake tho. I took my car in today to the dealership and see if they can update/find any problems with my transmission. its either mechanics or computers, from what i understand. the tech explained to me its just a standard transmission with calanoids in it and that the technology is crazy but all new car models have glitches/problems at first. i'm assuming they'll reset the computer again but hopefully there's no problems. sorry if off topic.
reason is I'm hoping tuning will fix this issue. thx

Edit: also having problem with "bucking" when I put a little on throttle and off then on throttle again, in low gears, especially. i told my tech about it. i think its a problem with many foci (DCT). the loaner foci they gave me 12' sel is really bad with the bucking, like my car was before my clutch/seal replacement. Hop this info helps.

#657 ·
@aron@injected when I floor the throttle in 1st or 2nd the tires squeal already.(DCT) will turning off traction control help them? or do I want more traction? my friend told me i'll accelerate faster with traction control off. I do have the steeda intake tho. I took my car in today to the dealership and see if they can update/find any problems with my transmission. its either mechanics or computers, from what i understand. the tech explained to me its just a standard transmission with celanoids in it and that the technology is crazy but all new car models have glicthes/problems at first. i'm assuming they'll reset the computer again but hopefully there's no problems. sorry if off topic.
reason is I'm hoping tuning will fixx this issue. thx
While convention logic says more traction will make you faster, not in this scenario. Traction control obtains traction by limiting something else.

#663 ·
All I wanna see changed is that lag in the DCT with the fuel loop, a 87 & 93 octane tune and the ability to change shift points. From my understanding the DCT adapts it's shifts to your driving style. I may be wrong & if I am correct me.

I just don't understand how you can get firmer shifts with the DCT being the gear changes are solenoid operated. Can somebody explain this to me?

And kudos Injected for all the R&D & hard work as well as answering and working with us. We can be nitpicky at times.

I personally don't want the rev limiter or governor removed as I don't plan to go over 95 or so ever again. I would rather keep the rev limiter so I don't go past 6500 and throw a rod or spin a bearing, etc.

#664 ·
With an automatic firmer shifts can be had with an increase in line pressure. Since the DCT is a "dry" clutch transmission and I do not think it has a fluid valve body in the traditional automatic sense, I believe we will be tweaking the response of purely electronic solenoids. Someone correct me if I am wrong. So making the shifts harder may be the inoperative term. Making the quick, is the term I think we want to use. We need to make the solenoids engage the gears as quickly as possible to avoid slip. By quickly I am not talking about what rpm they shift at, but instead how long it takes the gear to engage. It should be milliseconds.

#685 ·
hello. i'm in fairfax va. it would be nice to test, but i'm a noob (relatively) and dont know anything about such things - I guess I'll wait till testing is done - unless there is something else I can do to help. plus, doesn't tuning voids all the warranties or just some of the warranties?
I got my car back today and Ford said "no mechanical problems" and said Ford said nothing's wrong with my car. Well that's good news, but i'm still concerned something might come up later - and if I have a tune and something goes wrong - the dealerships won't cover it, correct?
They issued me the DCT characteristics document, lol. (@AronInjected: do you know anyting about these DCT characteristics and if it really is the nature of the beast, so to speak, or if it's an excuse for Ford's current lack of a solution?)

I would love a tune but am concered about whether or not I should wait till my warranty expires?

#686 ·
hello. i'm in fairfax va. it would be nice to test, but i'm a noob (relatively) and dont know anything about such things. plus tuning voids all the warranties or just some of the warranties?
I got my car back today and Ford said "no mechanical problems" and said Ford said nothing's wrong with my car. They issue my the DCT characteristics document, lol.
Well that's good news, but i'm still concerned something might come up later - and if I have a tune and something goes wrong - the dealerships won't cover it, correct?

I would love a tune but am concered about whether or not I should wait till my warranty expires?
If you are on the fence, and you feel that something is going on with the car. I don't think this is something you should be looking into right now, as It could make the problem worse. If you don't like what your dealership told you, you might wanna try another dealership.

I have people on a daily basis tell me their car is behaving erratically from time to time. When I get in the car it goes away. That doesn't mean there is no problem. That only means its intermittent, and you need to figure out how to recreate the condition. Hopefully you'll get it worked out, and enjoy many more happy miles.

#687 ·
sorry for off-topic.
@aroninjected the dealership told me they had to call Ford Engineers and were told there is nothing wrong. In this case can changing dealers really help? Aron when you are in 1st gear, manual mode, in DCT, if you put your foot on the gas a little, step off, then back on a little, does your car "buck" from front to back? That's what mine is doing and they say it's a normal characteristic of the transmission.
sorry for off topic again, just trying to understand if the pro's are having same issues.

#692 ·
The tune makes daily driving so much better. The car feels more responsive from idle and low rpms. It feels more responsive when dropping a gear and going WOT. Partial throttle acceleration has improved. The car feels like it has more peak power. Not huge, but enough to notice. It seems that Injected is looking to improve upon it so it should only get better from here.[driving][clap]

They mentioned to me that I'd notice the cooling fan running more often. This is true. Going through a fast food drive-thru the other day, I noticed a faint electrical 'burn-out' odor. I don't think it was from my car but it got me thinking about the reduced lifespan of the fan. Since getting the tune loaded, I notice the fan running MUCH more often. EVERY time I shut the car down, I hear it spinning down as I walk away. This is not something I ever noticed before. This concerns me a little (not much) as this part will likely wear more quickly and need to be replaced sooner.

Aron has mentioned a few times that they noticed as much as a 10hp difference with 10 degrees difference in temps. He also mentioned that all their dyno runs are performed within a degree of 200*F IIRC. I decided to datalog my temps to see what they would average.

This is a ~20 minute drive, including stop&go, major roads, back roads, and interstate. The car had been driven for about 20 minutes prior to logging this data...

Averaged about 193* for the trip, temps almost touched 200*, but that was after sitting at long lights and in my driveway. I wish I would have logged this prior to the tune to see if this is normal or if the tune contributed (from the fan running more often). I may reflash back to stock and log this again, but maybe one of you soon-to-be testers can log this prior to loading the tune, and log again after??

I plan on going to Atlanta Dragway on the 17th to make a few passes. I'll try to make a few passes with the stock config and a few with the tune. I'm interested to see if there will be a difference in the trap speeds (and how much if there is).

#695 ·
For a long time, we would swap cooler stats in Mustangs and such to realize a performance benefit from cooler operating temps. The manufacturers keep the temps higher for emissions reasons(cat performance/fouling is what I have read), but you have just seen the benefit of temp control. I wonder what controlling to 190 or 180 would do to power? Heck, we were throwing 160 stats in back in the day. W/o tuning though, a cooler stat doesn't provide the full benefits that can be realized by optimizing the tune.

#697 ·
You don't want to lower your fan temp too much or the bastards will never turn off.

Casually cruising down the freeway won't cause any issues, but if you ever find yourself at the track (straight or auto-x) those things will be running non-stop.

I think I'm gonna find a 1/4 mile track this weekend, if the weather permits. I am starting to get the shakes, from not racing something.....anything.......I JUST WANNA RACE SOMETHING!![:)~]
You could eat a bunch of chilli and drink a bunch of beer and RACE yourself to the bathroom before you shit your pants.... I'm just brainstormin' here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.