Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Installing Heated Mirrors

106K views 180 replies 40 participants last post by  D*2.3 
#1 ·
Our SE didn't come with Heated Mirrors or Cruise Control (that will be another post). I would like to add the heated mirrors. Will it be Plug and Play? Can anyone recommend an online source to purchase factory heated mirrors? I assume that I will have to purchase complete units that will come prewired. It might be nice if they also came with the turn signals in the mirror housings.

#63 ·
Wow Bigbot! Thank you for your thorough investigation work. So it may seem like it's either a completely new door module in both front doors or possibly getting the function programmed into the BCM. Now comes up the question; Is having this feature worth the expense of getting new modules or a dealership visit for a reprogram of the BCM?

#65 ·
No sorry guys I haven't had a chance to check it out yet, I'm making a note to my self now to check once I get into work. The door module does explain why ti tony defrost doesn't work. Because I know for the most part all Ti have on push up/down for all windows which means he has a door module were I don't.

#66 ·
I would love to at least have signal mirrors. I have always wanted them on my car! Does anyone know if you can just go into the dealership and order them? I will only buy parts from the manufacturer. It freaks me out to buy from anywhere else xD

the Ford accessory site doesn't have them ):

#67 ·
I'd also love to have heated mirrors, but am impartial about the puddle lights. I already have signal mirrors, as mine is a 2012 SEL 5dr with leather but without the winter package.

I really want to add ALL the cold weather package items just like the came from the factory, the main ones being heated seats, heated mirrors, and the active grille shutters (which I already started a thread about that one).

Definitely watching for this threads outcome.

#68 ·
The parts have shipped; I'm not sure when they will arrive. I just hope I don't have to take apart the door; I'd rather not risk the rattles if I don't have to.

#70 ·
Not much. I asked the place I bought the parts from if they could tell me what modules came in the door but they couldn't look up my VIN. When the door modules come I'll try my local dealer and see if they can tell me.

I ordered both new door modules and new mirror assemblies.
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

#71 ·
My Parts came but unfortunately the passenger side mirror assembly came with a crack in it. This is a total bummer since it's going to be warm this weekend. I guess I'll probably have to wait another week before attempting the swap.

Here are the door module part numbers:
Driver's Window Module (DDM): CP9Z-14B291-B
Passenger's Window Module (PDM): CP9Z-14291-E

I am beginning to believe that these are necessary for at least the puddle lamps, if not the puddle lamps and heated mirrors together. An old thread that mentions these parts seems to strengthen that conclusion.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=263025&page=2

Squeak, my guess is that as long as you have power rear windows; your mirrors can be heated with the turn signals just with the mirror swap. I don't think you could get the puddle lamp functionality without swapping out the all of your door hardware.

#72 ·
I have a Ti and am looking to add the puddle light as well as heated mirror option. I haven't been able to find a picture of the switch for the heated mirror, I have MFT and figured I would be able to control them through the climate interface but there has to be a manual switch for them.

Anyone have a picture of the switch and where it is located at? Just trying to figure out where it is located at.

#76 ·
Ford Discount Parts was nice enough to overnight me the replacement mirrors. I've installed the replacement mirrors and Door Modules. Unfortunately I don't have the heated mirror or puddle light functionality yet. I'm pretty sure the BCM needs to be told these things exist on the car.
I have some other things that I need to have worked on; and I'll ask the dealership to check the BCM when I have those things done. It will likely be two weeks before I get the car in; sigh.

#79 ·
Hello all, just some feedback and my experience. I have a 13 se, it has turn indicators on the mirror. I have all power windows, no IA, and no auto up down on any windows except drivers. I bought a right side mirror with turn and heat ( I dont care about puddle light) I plugged it in and turned rear defrost on and the heated mirror works. I then ordered the left which is not yet installed. I will report back after the left is in. I did not address anything with the BCM. It was simply plug and play with my configuration. I would imagine that could change with options, but it did work for me.

Rich

#84 ·
The wire is in the door. This is inside the car where it plugs in
Perfect. Looks like I know what my next purchase is. Now to find out the cost + the cost of getting them painted.
EDIT: Never mind on getting them painted. Looks like you can swap the covers. But found one on eBay. Heated, puddle lamps and folding mirrors. Now that'd be nice.

#85 ·
Hello Novus, when I say "plugged it in" I mean the mirror has a female end built into the frame, when you bolt the mirror in place, its portion of the plug is in place. The wiring harness end is right behind the door tweeter, which simply snaps off. If your current mirrors are good, the plastic painted portion unclips ( carefully) and will snap into the new one. I still did not replace the left one as I am waiting for it to show up from the dealer. I expect no issues, but you never know. I will report back when I install the left.

Rich

#89 ·
Hello all, just an update. I did buy and install the left one as well. Just to go over what I have, so you can draw your own conclusions. I have a 13 SE, with the 201A package ( I think) anyway, my car had turn signals in the mirrors and power mirrors. NO puddle light. I have regular remote key/fob NO I/A. I have power windows on all doors, but only one touch on drivers door.

I bought heated, power, turn signal mirrors from my local Ford dealer. They come WITHOUT the painted surface. If you tilt the mirror glass, you will find the release tabs on top. I think it is best to wait until you have the new mirror so you can see it without the painted cap as that view will show exactly where the tabs for release are. The painted cap from the original mirror just clips onto the new one.

Anyway, I simply removed the originals and installed the new ones, hit the rear defroster and they work. They actually heat up fairly quickly.

When I took the right mirror off originally to inspect, I noticed that Ford is using very tiny wiring pins in the plugs. This is what prevented me from simply swapping out the glass for heated glass.

I compared my original to the new heated mirror, and the only differnce I can see was the heated glass, and 2 wires that run from the back of the mirror glass to the plug in the base of the mirror assembly.
If anyone can find these "micro" pins, then it is absolutely possible to save some money and buy the glass as opposed to the whole assembly as I did.

My next project is to install heated seats using the factory parts. They sell everything seperately. The wiring is already in place, so I will sort this out soon. Then I will have the winter package I wanted but could not find.

I hope this writing helped someone.

Be well

Rich

#90 ·
Sounds just like it was on my Dodge Dakota. It was just the glass that was needed to be swapped as the harness was already there. As for the seats, this is something that I have been looking into as well. I was able to find a part number for the heated seat switch, but I misplaced it [rolleyes]

Since winter is going to be coming to an end soon. This is something that is not a priority right now, but will be something I'd like to have this upcoming fall/winter.

#92 ·
Hi All,
Unfortunately I don't have great news for those with IA or Auto-Up windows. There is no setting to change in the BCM to enable the heated mirrors or puddle lamps. The mechanic at the dealership tried every way he could to get them to initialize; but was not successful.
They theorize that flashing the BCM with calibration files from a car with the heated mirrors might work. We would need to find a car built at near the same time as mine and with the same options + the cold weather package. They didn't want to do this as flashing the BCM takes a long time. Also no one knew if flashing with another car's files could screw up my car or its conversations with Ford computers when it's in for other maintenance work.
To even try the flash I would need the help of a friendly mechanic and dealer in the CT area.
The BCM seems unfortunately the heart of the car. It is the central hub to all other modules and screwing it up would be very bad.

If there's anyone on the forums with greater knowledge as to how these things work your help would be greatly appreciated.

--BB45

#94 ·
I don't understand why the BCM is not just like a normal computer that can have individual software files uploaded to it. Instead it has to be completely programmed with a whole identity which cannot be changed.

I amn confused how some people are claiming their retrofit of the heated mirrors ARE working, while for others it isn't.

#97 ·
Well, I've got my ST now so I tested for voltage; I got nuttin with the rear defroster on or off. [thumbd]

I do have 12v to one of the 2 extra wires when the dome lights are on; looks like I could have puddle lamps if I wanted. [rolleyes]

Like one of the other posters, I do get 12v at the fuse with the rear defroster on.

#98 ·
What exact wire and in what plug are you getting 12v with the dome lights on? I installed new mirrors months ago that have puddle lights and heat but can't get them to work. It was my understanding that if you have a Focus with door modules, you're SOL as far as getting heated mirrors and puddle lights to work.

#100 ·
There are two available door modules for the MK3 Focus, one with heat/puddle lamps and one without heat/puddle. If you where to just replace your door modules with ones that have heat and puddle lamp capability, they still wouldn't work. It needed to be enabled when your car was manufactured. Cars that do not have door modules(intelligent access), will be PNP for heated mirrors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.