Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Stealth CAI installed.

7K views 49 replies 9 participants last post by  ferret15 
#1 · (Edited)
Well car was being really thirsty so I went to my buddies and installed a stealth CAI before upgrading my headlights from stock to HID Angel eyes.

Now I'm in need of some info on how I can tweak my car to reset the CEL for the MAF. I cleaned the MAF sensor while I was in there. But I'm thinking I might need to replace the MAF sensor for now.

I have noticed a bit better gas mileage and and it much peppier, but it still stalls at lights from time to time.

Any ideas? [loveff]

Pics on 3rd page

#3 ·
been there read that, but thanks for the pointer!! [thumb]

anybody else?

I have a USB to OBDC II cable inbound from china..... /me tap rap taps fingers on table.... [scratch]

#4 ·
IDK, shouldn't kill your car at idle. You've let it run for a bit and driven some miles for the computer to adjust I assume? Maybe your spark plugs are at the end of their life or maybe your IAC is dirty? You can't change the parameters without a proper tune if that is the problem. MAF sensors aren't exactly cheap, but if you car runs its probably working.

#6 ·
IDK, shouldn't kill your car at idle. You've let it run for a bit and driven some miles for the computer to adjust I assume? Maybe your spark plugs are at the end of their life or maybe your IAC is dirty? You can't change the parameters without a proper tune if that is the problem. MAF sensors aren't exactly cheap, but if you car runs its probably working.
it runs great on the road and on the freeway!! [grinking]

I just replugged it a week ago with the only plugs I could find at Oriely's. Not my first choice. Ordered some AR103s from ebay. May swap in a set of those and then hard reset.... [wrenchin]

whadzah IAC? [scratch]

Thanks ferret!! I will try resetting it again and then idle for 10 minutes..... [:)]

berry purdee sk0rpi0n!!

#7 ·
IAC, Idle Air Control, it's right below and slightly left of the throttle body, they get gunked up with carbon. Remove it and clean it with throttle body cleaner or equivalent. I gapped my AR103's to .055 and it ran great, at .060, not so great. Also, that is not my engine bay, mine is much cleaner than that.

#12 ·
IAC, Idle Air Control, it's right below and slightly left of the throttle body, they get gunked up with carbon. Remove it and clean it with throttle body cleaner or equivalent. I gapped my AR103's to .055 and it ran great, at .060, not so great. Also, that is not my engine bay, mine is much cleaner than that.
Anybody got a picture of this?

Im lost.. [screwy]

#8 ·
thanks skorp! No joy on the reset. CEL came back on today. Got my ODBDII cable today, had practice so I couldn't putz with it yet. Will look at it tomorrow while waiting on ink.

[idea]

Maybe i can hard reset it with the software that came with it.

#9 ·
Did you use the stock MAF tube with your stealth CAI and are you sure the MAF sensor is facing the correct direction? You should not be getting any sort of CEL.

Did you have any CEL before doing the mod? I doubt the MAF sensor has gone bad, i also would not be going full wide open throttle or enjoying any of the new pep until you get this sorted out. If the MAF sensor is not facing the right direction or not hooked up right, that means un-metered, could cause some issues

#10 ·
Yep to stock MAF tube. The opening of the MAF is facing the filter on the end of the tube. Yep to CEL before mod. I cleaned the MAF and the MAF tube before reinstalling with MAF cleaner. I couldn't get the MAF sensor off of the wiring harness..... So its should be on that correctly.

I did not remove the silver cover from the MAF to clean it better, wonder if that could be the problem.

I will be pulling the code again here in a bit. More later.
Thanks for your input.

#18 ·
CEL came back today..... [xx(]

Thanks Skorp and Ferret!!!!

I will try yo look the PCV Saturday, Friday is supposed to be Freakin c0ld and wet here.

I really appreciate everyones help on this!

[ffrocks] [loveff]

#20 · (Edited)
OK Skorp, much thanks. That all was a very good read. Generic enough to make sense and detailed enough to learn from.

I'm leaning towards vacuum because I did clean the MAF really well, or so I think.

You guys so freakin RAWK!!!!!!!!!!! [gunfire]

#23 ·
140+

Funny thing was Orangello never gave me these kinds of problems, and she had 240k on her...... /me sad face

But Im determined to get Pat running right.

Some other stuff I read indicated it could be fuel filter, but he runs so awesome when you press the accelerator.....

I also found a bunch of other stuff about the PCV hose collapsing.

I hope I don't have to do what ferret did in that pic he graciously shared just to change my PCV.... [dunno][bawling][dunno]

#25 · (Edited)
dude much tanx!! you are reafirming a lot of what I read from that link one of you guys gave me.

Funny, the CEL was NOT on when I left the house Friday afternoon and did not register at all whenI drove home in the middle of the night. Go figure. Im not thinking its fixed. Im checking the hose and the PCV.. Again you guys are awesome!!!!!!

[ffrocks]

Update: NO CEL since Friday, still going to look at the PCV and hose. [werd]

[loveff]

#27 ·
f00kin CEL came back Sunday evening, same code P0171........ [?|][?|]

#31 ·
I hvent found it yet. I think its under my intake manifold...... [boxface] [rant]

#35 · (Edited)
The illusive PCV beastie

@ graves, not so much stumble, but sometimes it will die when Im stopping for lights.

@ greyskorpion, actually the damn thing runs great. Im just not getting the gas milage I used to. I had no idea it was under there until today. Did a google search and found many pics showing it under there. Even found a link back to FF on how to do it. .....i will be going south to my mechanic buddys, then I see how hard it is to remove the IM......... I see manual labor in my immediate future.

hell I need to become more intimate with Pats heart anywaays.......

I really do appreciate all the help and eduction you have graciously shared with my d00ffuz 0ld arse.

You guys RAWX!!! [pray] [pray]

Pic [wrenchin]

#36 ·
Now im bery bery confused

0K so what is this?

Oriely's says this is what I need.................. [sing]

[???:)][???:)][???:)][???:)][???:)]

#39 ·
I just removed my IM, replaced gaskets and PCV valve/hose. When i put it back together i ended up putting a different (newer) IAC on. It was siezed up, and prevented my car from starting unless i had gas pedal pressed(open throttle) I hit it with my socket wrench and it worked for a bit then stalled again at idle. I replaced it with my old IAC and car runs back to normal.

As for stalling at lights etc. My car did the same thing, ran great while in open throttle but whenever i let off the gas pedal i stalled quickly.

I again fixed this by replacing the IAC with my older working one.

Not saying this is what your issue is, but noting its similar with what i just did to my car.

One more thing to make sure is that your Intake is sealed from the MAF to the throttle body, any leaks that bypass the MAF and cause bad reads could also be culprit to stumbling/poor idle. I know my car did not like not having the Intake attached to the throttlebody when i was trying to use Seafoam IM/TB cleaner by spraying it at the TB plate. I had to use the plastic tube it comes with cut to fit the rubber boot and seal it back over the throttle body.

#40 · (Edited)
its starts~!!!!!!

Cool Cool Guys!! as usual the body informs the head! thats why [ffrocks]

I ordered parts from ebay. 30 bux for both shipped. Today is the day. Im headed to my buddies to drop the rad and pull the IM. Im wondering.......

Should I do tumble flaps delete?

Should I delete EGR while I have the heart in my hands?

Feedback accepted!!! [poke] [hihi]

#42 · (Edited)
OMG My other tech is an idiot!!!!!

103ar superhot per plug sticky, gap .55 :cool:

so I think I found the problem, some idiot that recently removed and cleaned it
AIC kind fux0erd a screw going in. I lubed it with lucas and then rescrewed it into the base. Now the AIC should fully seat and then I bet he runs much better. But since I've removed the throttlebody and intake parts all I have left are IM Bolts. WTF is it 5 6 7 or 8???????

Im confused because of 2004 removal tuts and I am green at cracking open a block of any kind. [wrenchin]

Damnit Jim Im not a country doctor, Im a freak neurosurgeon!!!! [spank]

f00kit, Ima read some more and take it apart Sunday and replace it. I wanna see if my theroy about the AIC is correct. I also cleaned the TB butterfly extremely well, it was highly carbonated and a little sticky, not it flips and flops with ferrrring!! [hihi]

Ima leave the underskit off and just reattach the radiator bolts. Then it shouldnt take me but a few hours to remove the IM Sunday since I did the dry run today........ [twothumbs]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.