Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Manual trans in 08-11

37K views 203 replies 67 participants last post by  Ryokuro 
#1 ·
I keep talking with people and apparently the manual trans in the 2nd gens are quite rare...

How many of you have a manual 5 speed in your 2nd gen? I wants to know. I has it. [wrenchin]

-VonKrause-

#38 ·
I toasted my pass side motor mount right away - my 3L Contour SVT has the same MTX75 in it and, well, yeah - some power shifting is hard to avoid :)

Nothing like rolling posi burnouts in 1st and laying another 25 feet of rubbed banging second... with blizzaks [rofl]

#43 ·
No I'm stock the only thing I have done is a fswerks air intake but like I stated before I ground third before s few times because my clutch wasn't all the way in and also I bent down to get something in the passenger side footwell and I bumped it into third almost without putting the,clutch in griiiiinnnnd!

#44 ·
I have the 5 speed in my coupe. A primary reason I bought it. I like the sense of controlling the car rather than pointing it in some direction and letting the car figure the rest out. That's not driving to me. I had the shift points adjusted when I dyno'd it. It was more responsive but I finally got what I was looking for when I installed a 16 oz stainless ball knob from TMW. The knob acts like a counterweight and the shifts are quick, clean and decisive. It has a sports car feel that cancels out the experience of my commute.

#47 ·
I have the 5 speed in my coupe. A primary reason I bought it. I like the sense of controlling the car rather than pointing it in some direction and letting the car figure the rest out. That's not driving to me. It has a sports car feel that cancels out the experience of my commute.
Word. [driving]

#45 ·
Personally, i would have bought a 5 speed, but, alas, i was stuck with my daily rental automatic...

this one is a 2010, but i had two other 2008's, 1 was a daily rental, the other an off lease, blew both automatic trans, inwhich they do not like any sort of roughness at all...

but from what im reading, the 5 speeds dont like any roughness either?

#48 ·
I am what people call a "spirited" driver. I've put 30k hard miles on mine and it works perfectly. I think somebody just doesn't shift correctly (no offense)

Its just that a manual trans issue is rare and especially with a stock engine. They just don't put out enough power to do damage on their own. Since I haven't heard of anyone else having issues with theirs and he had several, its safe to say driver error is to blame I think.

#46 ·
I ordered the Steeda short shift for my 08 today! The tracking says it will be here in Wisconsin the 15Th! THATS FAST SHIPPING!. I hope the Steeda is a little better then the stock shifter. I have read about auto trans problems in the 08-10 focus. I haven't had any trouble with the 5 speed at all! works as good as it did when new. I am hoping the Steeda makes it even better.

#51 ·
I just received my Steeda short shifter today! I was wondering if anyone can give me a link from this forum as to the specific installation instructions for the 2008 Focus?. I have found other models install instructions but so far none for the 2008 specifically. THANKS!

#52 · (Edited)
I was surprised just how easy the Tri-Ax/F Short Throw Shifter installed in my car!. It took 20 minutes to take apart the factory stuff and install the new shifter!.( this was no small task for a old man that cant even tie his shoes if I can do it ANYONE CAN) (note) I did NOT have to remove the center console just the shift boot for the installation. I cant believe the difference between the factory shifter and the Steeda! its like night and day!. The transmission shifts like butter no binding or slotiness at all. The car shifts much more efficiently without the RPM drops I had when clutching and shifting the factory one. It finds the next gear all by itself all I do is flick my wrist against the knob in the general direction and BAM! its done! This is the shifter that Ford should have put in the 08 Focus at the factory!. I highly recommend this for the 08!. NOW WHERE IS MY WALKER![URL="http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l108/matsukes/DSCF0604.jpg"]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l108/matsukes/DSCF0605.jpg[/URL]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l108/matsukes/DSCF0612.jpg

Reactions: InfraRedSVTF
#53 ·
Yet another manual trans lover here among the 2nd Gen owners. The factory molded plastic shift knob wasn't feeling good, though, so I replaced it with this Mustang leather-wrapped item:

Looks like it should have come as part of the SES trim, and feels much better!

#56 ·
I got my 08 Coupe with 23K on it. About to turn 40K this weekend or tomorrow. Doing great except for a bad third syncro.

#59 ·
Odd, I got my CSVT with around 80k ok it and I pounded another 100k on it with a 3l and a torsen and my third just started grinding... I went through 2 stage 3 clutches too!

#57 ·
That’s a fairly common weakness in MTX75s. The one in my roomie’s Cougar will grind third gear if shifted in anger. So far (39K miles), no problem with mine.

#60 ·
^Yea mine went when it was raining and I decided to try and burn through third, it didnt work. All I got was a stop and then a nice crunch, grind, crunch. Y
ea ever since then she hasnt taken to hard third shifts anymore. all because of me, not the car.

#63 ·
When I wanted my 08 SES fully loaded with a 5 speed they didn't have any. I then just ordered it built at Ford. I had to wait about 5 weeks but got just what I wanted.

#64 ·
5-speed here. i love it except when the A/C is on.

mine was a demo model for the sync system at my dealer in colorado, had everything i wanted plus a sunroof, asked the manager if hed sell the demo model and he literally put the keys in my hand and told me to "PLEASE... take it!!! Itll never sell because its a demo and its a stick!!" 25 minutes later i was on my way to my bday party in my new car, lmao [headbang]

#65 ·
Nice, still mad at you for everything you got on yours. I still want that sunroof

#66 ·
I like my Base Model Stripped S Coupe. Less stuff to break. Although it will make it hard to sell the car if I ever want to.

#69 ·
Finely someone rocking some white wheels!!!! they look so much better then just going black or dark grey. [thumb]

#79 ·
It might not, I wish I would have checked Ford'd site to see how to get ABS and what option package it came in.

#80 ·
My 2010 S sedan has abs standard, but manual windows, no cruse or power anything for that matter. I have never had a car/truck with power windows so it doesn't bother me, in fact this is the first car I have had that has power locks and keyless entry! about the only thing I do wish I had was some better seats!

#84 · (Edited)
For me the upgrade to SE was too much of a waist of money. I have replaced or gone through most everything I can, but I do have a cool idea for running some fog/driving lights.
I want to install the "fog light" housings and wire them as just the high beams and use a single beam in the headlights (hid projector retro when funds permit).
Posted via FF Mobile

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.