2012 Focus - Aftermarket Stereo possibilities. - Page 35 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-13-2014, 01:23 AM   #341
mgr52
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 86162
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 mgr52 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusND View Post
New member here! I'm also interested in this as well. I have an '14 SE and it looks like I can get navigation and SiriusXM? on thing. Might bite the bullet on this too!
x3 want to install something like this. I don't need Sync or anything but I would like to have a touch screen with GPS and USB capability. I currently have the most basic radio.

For a non-tech person, how hard is it to install one of these units? Does it require additional wiring/experience? Or is there a unit that easily hooks up to the current connectors?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2014, 10:19 AM   #342
firebirdude
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 48824
What I Drive: 2013 Race Red SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 firebirdude Good Standing Member
Coming from a professional mobile electronics installer, I'd avoid that like the plague. FAR too often I see these "factory fit fully integrated" Chinese head units come into my shop, either running a hacked up version of Android or some proprietary OS. Doesn't matter. The build quality is poor and they fail FAR too often. And when they go, you're back to square one. There's no removing just the head unit and replacing it with something higher quality. As you can see, it's all built together. So you'll still have to buy the Metra kit and do the entire installation over again.

Let me also add that I work hourly. I don't make any money off what items my customers buy. I don't care if it's a $50 Pioneer or a $800 Kenwood navi. I've been doing this too long to have any brand loyalty. I'm also pretty darn familiar with Android and having been rooting/hacking for years. I'm the first guy in the pool when it comes to trying new things or tinkering with something. So believe me when I say, I have no man in the race, and I'm still telling you guys to avoid this product.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:22 PM   #343
unida767
Sonic Mk3 Crew #08

Fan#: 95574
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium Powershift SEP

FF Reputation: 11 unida767 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebirdude View Post
Coming from a professional mobile electronics installer, I'd avoid that like the plague. FAR too often I see these "factory fit fully integrated" Chinese head units come into my shop, either running a hacked up version of Android or some proprietary OS. Doesn't matter. The build quality is poor and they fail FAR too often. And when they go, you're back to square one. There's no removing just the head unit and replacing it with something higher quality. As you can see, it's all built together. So you'll still have to buy the Metra kit and do the entire installation over again.

Let me also add that I work hourly. I don't make any money off what items my customers buy. I don't care if it's a $50 Pioneer or a $800 Kenwood navi. I've been doing this too long to have any brand loyalty. I'm also pretty darn familiar with Android and having been rooting/hacking for years. I'm the first guy in the pool when it comes to trying new things or tinkering with something. So believe me when I say, I have no man in the race, and I'm still telling you guys to avoid this product.
So why wouldn't you in this case? Buy one of these to test like I will do and BLarson did. Perhaps if more people tested and played and guinea pigged we'd find a working solution. I've been in communication for months with another supplier while they fine tuned and built their device and have seen working units in cars.
If you had said "I bought this device and it didn't work." you'd be more helpful to the community than saying essentially, "Why bother they all suck."

SC#8 HN168
uɐıןɐɹʇs,
Old 09-14-2014, 05:50 PM   #344
firebirdude
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

So anybody has to physically own something before they're allowed to state their opinion on the internet? Though I like to try new things, why would I buy this when I have first-hand experience with extremely similar Chinese designed garbage? Have I installed THIS EXACT UNIT. No. Never said I did. But I have installed, troubleshot, and replaced 100 just like it. Is this particular model guaranteed to fail? Of course not. Buy it. Don't buy it. I don't care. But this is a forum where people come to share stories and opinions. Don't get butt hurt because I talked down on your head unit. A simple "I've had it installed X months and it's been working fine" would have been just as useful. We could sit here and re-word each others comments all day long...
Old 09-14-2014, 06:01 PM   #345
unida767
Sonic Mk3 Crew #08

Quote:
So anybody has to physically own something before they're allowed to state their opinion on the internet? Though I like to try new things, why would I buy this when I have first-hand experience with extremely similar Chinese designed garbage? Have I installed THIS EXACT UNIT. No. Never said I did. But I have installed, troubleshot, and replaced 100 just like it. Is this particular model guaranteed to fail? Of course not. Buy it. Don't buy it. I don't care. But this is a forum where people come to share stories and opinions. Don't get butt hurt because I talked down on your head unit. A simple "I've had it installed X months and it's been working fine" would have been just as useful. We could sit here and re-word each others comments all day long...
@ Butt hurt

Never said I bought this. I said I have been talking with another (different) supplier for months.
"Have I installed THIS EXACT UNIT. No. Never said I did. But I have installed, troubleshot, and replaced 100 just like it."
I like how this means to you that you know everything about every device. The unit I will be getting is different to this one. Choice is in the market and until people test and not just bash "Similar" units we'll never know. Thanks for your help??

SC#8 HN168
uɐıןɐɹʇs,
Old 09-14-2014, 07:02 PM   #346
firebirdude
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

There is none so blind as he who will not see.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:20 PM   #347
unida767
Sonic Mk3 Crew #08

Quote:
There is none so blind as he who will not see.
Wow so profound

""There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know. The proverb has been traced back in English to 1546"

Your argument is invalid you have no knowledge about this product.

There would be no progress made in this if everyone went by what you said. If someone that bought a unit and then posted it didn't work like Blarson then they are contributing to the community.

You can sit there and say all these will fail or most will fail or I've had 100's that fail. It doesn't matter because it is not this unit. Simple.

SC#8 HN168
uɐıןɐɹʇs,

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->