Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Any Successful AWD Swaps Out There?

19K views 102 replies 26 participants last post by  Kickerbeast 
#1 ·
I'm starting to look for a shell. I want to do an AWD swap. From some quick research I would like to use a 4G63 and use the 8.8 limited slip from an Explorer. I'm not sure yet how the engine would have to mount as I'm just in the research stages. Figured I would post this up as an idea since I don't have enough posts on here to put up a wanted ad in the classifieds. This won't be a short term project, but I am planning on working through this over a few years. I will be sure to post back here with info as I go. If anyone knows of a ZX5 shell, let me know. I don't want a sedan and I need a 4 door for the kids.

#31 ·
Well I don't exactly have the car sitting in my driveway. This thread was nothing more than a feeler and some thinking points. Right now I'm trying to sell some sheds, but most people don't want to buy them in the middle of winter so I'm looking to other avenues where I can fund this project. I'm still in the planning and finding a shell stage of the game and once I get a shell I will start an actual build thread. I don't expect to find a shell till sping/summer so it will be slow going.

#32 ·
have you looked into using the Volvo S40/S60 AWD parts? the cars are similar to the FoFo and came with 2.5T AWD!
If I were to ever come across a briefcase full of money, I would find a wrecked S40/S60 Turbo AWD and use that as a parts source.

Good luck with your build!

#33 ·
Interesting thought. My biggest reason for using the 4G63/4G64 setup is that I am familiar with that engine and it's potentail. The thing that made this whole thing very doable is the 8.8 that Kugel uses for the V8 kits. I forget what ratio (think 3.83), but a stock ratio 8.8 from an Explorer, Mountaineer matches perfectly to the manual DSM trans. Being as I can buy the kit to bolt that into a Focus, the hard part is really mounting the engine and setting up the front end. I'm still looking into if I can use the Focus spindles with a custom bearing that I can press the DSM hub into. It looks like it will work, but I'm not completely sure yet. Worst case, I can fab up some center shafts for the front axles. There are some little things that I'm not sure about yet, but all in all I don't think this would be a very hard install. Time will tell. That is if I can sell a freaking shed.

#34 ·
custom cv axles would be a lot easier than custom hubs. you just need a mitsu trans axles and some focus axles and have a shop put them together with the proper length shaft.

#38 ·
well after some major setbacks with the v8 swap (placement, ground clearance, overall weight, bad week.... blown turbo on DD that's getting upgraded), it's on hold for a bit, either to work on again as planned or do something else odd to it..... I have been really wanting an evo lately. I know of a wrecked evo nearby.

HMM shell, sell current drivetrain setup, go buy evo system and be happier. Get good ground clearance, have it installed faster and actually make decent power too. FML

#44 ·
do the evo swap. forget that tired old 350. they make less power than a zetec is capable of with just a turbo.

as far as rwd vs awd. i have both and which is right for you depends on what you want with the car. you cant really compare them.

as far as the v8 adding weight to the front end that just depends on how lazy you are with the swap. i cut the firewall and tunnel out to get the engine back and up high enough. my car sits higher in the front now than it did with the zetec in it with the same suspension set up.

my opinion on the duratec drive train vs the evo is just silly. i have heard plenty about the duratecs awd not being very strong and if your not doing an awd swap to make some serious power your just waisting time IMO

#39 ·
I love the idea of the V8 setup, but after driving AWD for a couple of years, I am spoiled and don't like the idea of going RWD. Although, if this goes well, then I might look into doing a RWD 4G63 just to be able to do some killer doughnuts. The idea of an AWD Focus just makes me drool.

#41 ·
No offense taken. I have 2 reasons for wanting to use the DSM setup. I know that the gear ratios will work with the 8.8 and I know you can make cheap power.

As far as any swap out there, you will have about the same amount of work (in general). You will have to swap or build harnesses, possibly upgrade the fuel, custom exhaust, build motor mounts, figure up axles, etc. With the AWD you have a little more since your dealing with the rear end, but in our case someone has already done the hard work you can just buy the kits. Just need to postion the engine in the right spot and have a driveshaft built.

I would say that anything that will work with the 8.8 gear ratios would be a good option for a swap here in either RWD or AWD.

After the AWD thought, I don't like the idea of using a V6 because of the weight difference. You have to think about how much extra weight you are adding to the front of the car and how that will effect the overall performance. Especially if it is RWD. Another nice thing about being able to make good power on a turbo 4 cylinder is that the weight will be much better balanced in the car. Speaking of weight, the Focus is very close in weight to the DSM so that can give you a really good idea of it potential (provided the body will hold up to an AWD launch).

Another benefit of keeping the 4 cylinder is it will be much easier to be a "sleeper" which is something I want. I would love to have someone in a Mustang or Camaro pull up next to me at a light and think they are all that.

I love talking about this with people. It is something that I'm going to try my hardest to complete as long as life doesn't get in the way. I am always up for discussion on swaps as it is truely something I would like to go into business doing in the long run.

#43 ·
Mounting to the Focus looks like it will be fairly easy. I've reviewed a lot of pictures (as I don't have mine yet) and the front "frame" rails are flat. I think a bracket could easily be made to bolt there and depending on the height of the engine bracket you could extend that bracket up to the strut tower. I like the your thinking though.

#45 ·
I want something that it is possible for me to drive all year. My DSM was about the same weight and even with AWD it was still a little slick if you weren't careful. I'm thinking starting off with a RWD Focus with the same powerplant wouldn't be a good driver in the snow if I needed it (Hopefully I won't). Besides that, I really do want to build a RWD Focus once this one it going. I do autocross from time to time, but my mail goal behind this project is to take a Focus to a place few have ever gone. I like to push the edge of what most people would even think about doing. Been thinking about dropping a R1 motor in a cruiser frame...Giggity.

#47 ·
Foci last for ever it seems like. The only ones you usually find with a blown engine are usually Spi (I don't think they ever came in a zx3 but I could easily be wrong) or an Svt which are rare to start with. Just a thought but have you tried any salvage yards? I know my local one has some nice sedan shells; you may luck out and find a hatch shell somewhere.

#48 ·
I'm gonna go hit them up tomorrow and talk to a guy. Maybe tell them if they get one in that isn't wrecked I'll buy the whole car off them for the right price. That way they can just make a quick buck. I've found a few around here and there, but most are about 5 hours away. I've emailed 3 people but haven't gotten any responces yet.

#54 ·
Anyone know any good sources for a ZX3/5 shell? I can't find much of anything close and everyone that has a non running one wants as much as I can find a running one for here.

#56 ·
Judging from the search, it looks like he is in Texas. A little far of a drive from me. 3000 mile round trip. I could probably buy on here running for the same cash as my gas to drive there and back. Thanks for the tip though.

#57 ·
Still somewhat looking for a shell. I kinda switched gears from the shed thing for now. Not many people were looking. Have tons of people asking me to work on their cars so I am opening a part time shop out of my garage. If your bored, you can check it out on Facebook. I have a couple of past projects on there and I'm working on updating my current stuff. Mostly just repair stuff. Going to put pictures of my Yamaha Blaster restoration on there soon. Get some of these paying jobs out of the way and I should have the funds again to start looking for a shell. Anyone local that needs any repairs, hit me up. Search for me on Facebook. TheSwapShop. If I can get this all going right, then the AWD Focus will by the first official Swap Shop car since I've sold my Talon.

#58 ·
Does anyone know If a 2.0L Zetec DOHC Vin 3 (8th digit) engine will bolt right in a Vin 5 2.0L ? i have a 2002 with the vin 5 engine and its blown but i have a brand new crate motor but it looks a little different and i believe it is a vin 3 engine ? what is the difference and will it fit ? Ive been searching for an engine and everything on ebay says looking for an exact and displays all the other 00-04 models except mine and says Vin 3 ? need help asap Please

#61 ·
No clue, but you've come to the right place. Someone on here should know it, but I don't. Try starting your own thread though, not sure why you hijacked mine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.