Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Interior Lighting Question

4K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  JonathanGennick 
#1 ·
So I did a quick search here and I couldn't find anything, so I was wondering if anyone knows:

When I unlock the car, I believe the interior lights used to turn on by themselves. If I open the door it would turn on as well. It doesn't know. When I open the door it will turn on by only AFTER I've started the car.

Does anyone know how to change this? I've looked in the manual but this is all it says:

INTERIOR LAMPS
Dome/map lamp
The dome lamp will turn on when:
• any door is opened.
• the remote entry controls are
pressed and the ignition is off.
To manually turn on the dome lamp and/or map lamp(s):
• press to activate the dome lamp.
• press to activate the map lamp(s). Some map lamps have a split
switch.
Rear dome lamp

See less See more
#6 ·
thank god i thought i was going crazy i went through every combination of the dome light button and it still happens to my focus and the wife's. Still haven't figured it out but i am reluctant to head to my dealership after the name i have with them about the '11 250 i bought and the headache i had with that. (why i now have the 2 Foci)

#8 ·
I have the opposite, dome light stays on sometimes after starting engine and driving, takes a while to shut off (almost a whole block). Yesterday they went off then came on when I pulled out of my driveway, when the locks locked. There is no rhyme or reason to this. Can't we go back to door switches tripping a relay to turn them on with a built in time delay for turn off. I think I have a bad switch/sensor and the vibration of the locks activate the switch/sensor. Light times out when it stays on.

#10 ·
The buttons on the ceiling above the driver side door controls this. Press the button that says OFF. If its illuminated, the lights will not turn on when the doors open.
No. There is more going on than that button. My button was not lit. I opened the doors. Nothing. Went to eat. Came back. Opened the doors. Got light. Why? Beats me. Some other factor is at play that I have not yet put my finger on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Typos and terseness are to be expected.

#11 ·
No. There is more going on than that button. My button was not lit. I opened the doors. Nothing. Went to eat. Came back. Opened the doors. Got light. Why? Beats me. Some other factor is at play that I have not yet put my finger on.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile. Typos and terseness are to be expected.
Was it darker or more overcast the second time? That would indicate that the ambient light sensor is doing its job.

#18 ·
The lights will not turn off if:...or
• any door is open.
So why did my interior lighting remain off when my door was open? That's what gets me. My door was open. I was stowing items in the car that I had bought at Target. Where was my light?

BTW, I do not have the "ambient lighting" option. I've just got the simple dome lighting system in the roof.

The mere fact that we are having this discussion suggests that the system is overly complicated. Some engineer at Ford got carried away. When a door is open, I want my light. It really should be that simple.

#19 ·
I agree.. there are several things such as this one, that are overly complicated in this car.. Engineers need to simplify things... it's often better and cheaper. and, while we're on the 'engineering' thing... why is the glove box designed so that it's pretty much inaccessable from the driver's seat? dumb..

#20 ·
"The illuminated entry system will turn off the lights if:
• the ignition is on,"

Why do my lights come on and stay on when the car is started till time out. Why do they come on after going off when I'm driving. All doors are closed and the display shows no door open. Checked and the display shows each door when open and closed.

#21 ·
OK everyone, I think I'm back to square one. My car used to turn on the interior lights as soon as I unlocked it. Now it doesn't. Also sometimes the interior lights will not come on when it's pitch black outside after I've opened my driver's side door.

Does anyone know how to properly turn on the lights?

Also, why are there three buttons that turn on the interior lights? One is in the front near the headliner and two on the roof. The two on the roof has the option of turning on just the middle or both the middle and back lights (which I think is unecessary LOL).

#22 ·
Also, why are there three buttons that turn on the interior lights? One is in the front near the headliner and two on the roof. The two on the roof has the option of turning on just the middle or both the middle and back lights (which I think is unecessary LOL).
Yeah, that arrangement doesn't make sense to me either. Perhaps the distinction makes sense with a more expensive trim level. It's kind of silly in the SE configuration though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.