Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Buying dedicated autocross wheels, what size?

7K views 30 replies 11 participants last post by  focusedaddiction 
#1 ·
Well, since GW is sending out the early tax rebates I just my try to boost the economy by buying a dedicated set of autox wheels and tires[:)]

I'm looking for some thoughts/feedback as to what size wheel to get.

I'm running STS right now with the Roush stg 2 springs and dampers, roush rear sway (22mm), stock front sway, and the various bolts ons, CAI, header, etc. I'm also using the stock 16x6 wheels with BF Goodrich GForce Sport tires. Class wise I eventually see myself building the focus into a Forced Induction SM car, but thats a 2-3 years away (but would like to keep the same wheels to fit R-comps).

I'm leaning towards a set of 16x7's, I think going to 17x7 will be an extra weight penality and be more expensive for R-comps in the future. 15's may be tough (hoping to upgarde to SVT brakes) and I don't think there's alot of tire size options there for the street tire class.

Thanks for the input, also any experience with the current street tires is appreciated, i.e. Dunlop direzza vs. bstone RE01R vs. Falken 615s

#2 ·
I was going to say 16x7.5 to allow a little extra room for a 225 if you could squeeze it in there. 16x7 would be good as well. Go for something as lightweight as you can afford. You'll have to check the STS rules to verify what width you can run, I believe it cuts off at 225.

As for tires I'm running the Azenis but have yet to take them to the track. I'll know how they perform next Sunday, but of course those are the class favorite. I have heard good things about those other tires as well, though. If you go auto-xing with people who run Azenis, you might notice some of the racers spraying them down often. Azenis get a little greasy when they overheat, so that's something to consider.

#3 ·
It would appear that the fastest "Focus-friendly" tire would be the the Z1 in a 215/40-17. I'd strongly suggest finding 7.5" wheels for ideal fit...this is a wide 215--over 8.125" on a 7.5 wheel.

The 215/45-16 Falken is an old stand-by, but will give up some to the newer tires. Again, 7.5" wheels would be better--especially with the future move up in class. Also, Kumho will have the new XS out next year, and the 215/45-16 is supposed to be offered. I am sure that will be a very fast tire.

The Toyo R1R in a 225/45-15 is a possibility too. There are a few 15" wheels that will work with SVT brakes. I know Aaron Williams runs some 15x8 ATS wheels from Germany on his DSP car. Rota makes a nice 15x7.5 Slipstream ( .http://www.18racing.com/wheel_slipstream.html ) Also: The brake upgrade is not worth it for AX, IMO. If you do track days, the yes, certainly. Otherwise, good pads (Hawks) and stainless lines work just fine.

You may consider 8" wide wheels and run STX instead of STS as well. It'll be better for you when you move on to SM. You could also run a LSD right away...and the STX index is only slightly worse than STS. Its a better fit for a Focus IMO, only because of the weight of the car, and the tires offered. Running Civic-sized tires (eg 205/50-15, 205/45-16) on a Focus when running against STS SpecCivics is an exercise in futility.

#8 ·
It would appear that the fastest "Focus-friendly" tire would be the the Z1 in a 215/40-17. I'd strongly suggest finding 7.5" wheels for ideal fit...this is a wide 215--over 8.125" on a 7.5 wheel.
Exactly what I'm running - they've been great for an AX/track setup. I get a little gearing reduction, but not as much as I'd like.

The Toyo R1R in a 225/45-15 is a possibility too.
Have you heard any news on availability? Have you talked with folks that've driven them? I've been following the thread at sccaforums and I'm wondering if the squishy feel and wear/graining issues are as bad as they sound. I'm still thinking I want a set of dedicated 15in AX wheels, but I'm not willing to step down to the 195 tire width.

#5 ·
lightweight wheels: OZ wheels, Team Dynamics, usually anything forged.

I'm gonna suggest 15" wheels, because thats what i race. 15" = lighter than same model 16 or 17 (duh). As far as fitting over SVT brakes, this limits you to:
OZ superleggeras
Team Dynamics ProRace 1 (or 1.2)
and assorted 3 piece wheels, like some BBS, etc.

I have the Team Dynamics ProRace 1 in a 15x7.5, the weigh less than 13lbs, i run a 225 wide tire, and they clear SVT brakes.

If you are planning to go to SM, then I suggest waiting on the expensive wheel purchase untill you are ready to get some 15x10 wheels with teh hoosier 275wide tires and cut your fenders. other wise you will have trouble being competative. IMO SM is a "how deep are you pockets" class, with cars that have huge power, huge tires, huge expenses, etc.

I have a FI car in SM, and its tough. Im actually gonna step back a class and build a FSP car.

#6 ·
Of all classes, FSP is most likely the best "fit" for a Focus. Still can run the 275s and uber wide wheels...but w/o the expense of a SM motor...after that STX would be my next choice...still a knife-at-a-gunfight (against the WRXs and 3-Series Bimmers), but a bigger knife than what you can yield in STS.

#7 ·
Definitely have some wheel options to do some more research on. I just started autocross this year, so I'll stay in STS for now to get as much seat time as I can. I'm actually doing two point series right now, CCR and SCR regions in SCCA.

Upgrade plans include these wheels and tires, and then an update to better dampers and bushings. Luckily these two regions compete in aren't very heavy in STS civics.

I'd like to eventually go F/I with the focus, which would bump me to SM. I realize I wouldn't be competitive in alot of regions, but in SCR and CCR, the SM class is pretty thin, or only includes EVOs and STis with mild mods to the turbo. A lot of these guys are younger, the type that already knows everything and doesn't take advice. I think if the I went all out with A/C delete, built up F/I engine, rear seat delete, fuel cell, etc., etc. it would at least be a fast focus[:D]

#12 ·
Eventerke, what club do you autox in NC with? Or do you do mostly track stuff?

I am trying to do both the SCR and CCR region's SCCA autox series this year.

#13 ·
Tarheel - I'm running up at Danville, VA this weekend. I should update that season thread I started! I might try to hit a CCR event sometime.

I'm holding off on track stuff until CMP in June. Myself and some buddies are planning to run the 24hrs of LeMons there in July.

#14 ·
Cool, I'll keep an eye out for you at the CCR events this summer. It looks like all of the weekend ones (except one) are going to be at continental tire in Charlotte. Most of the Tarheel stuff is a bit of a drive from Greenville, I think I'll be sticking with SCR and CCR regions for now.

I just got into autox this year, so I don't see myself doing track stuff in the short term. Maybe in the future though.

#15 ·
OK, reviving the old thread...

So I picked up the Rota Slipstream in 15x7.5 and running Hankook Ventus in a 225 50 15. I autocrossed them at yesterdays CCR SCCA event. Once the mold release was scrubbed off, they definitely had a lot of grip. Night and day compared to my old tires and wheels. I am rubbing the front struts a bit. I think some spacers might by in my future for the front wheels.

Other than that, its time to get a real pressure gage and start dialing these tires in. I may actually be more competitive in STS now.

#16 ·
So I picked up the Rota Slipstream in 15x7.5 and running Hankook Ventus in a 225 50 15. I autocrossed them at yesterdays CCR SCCA event. Once the mold release was scrubbed off, they definitely had a lot of grip. Night and day compared to my old tires and wheels. I am rubbing the front struts a bit. I think some spacers might by in my future for the front wheels.
How did the braking force/feel improve? This is something that I really missed out on with my 3 season street tires.

#18 ·
Well some feedback on the wheels. First off I ordered the wrong offset, I ordered a 45 offset, should have went with 40. I had to grind a bit off of the rear trailing arm to get these to fit on the rear. And as I said, I'm rubbing (tires) on the front struts pretty good. I am trying to decide if I should go with a 5 or 15mm spacer for the front wheels.

Big improvement on the tires over the old tires, I was running BF Goodrich Gforce Sport, which really lost grip as the tires wore. They also had very flimsy sidewalls, I was rolling them with 45 psi front. I ran 38 psi (cold) on sunday in the front, with the new tires, and didn't roll much at all. Braking was much better too, less tread squirm, no locked up front tires.

Once I wear out the new 'kooks, I think I'll graduate to FSP and run a R-comp in 225 45 15, should give me better gearing.

#19 ·
Another update on this tire combo, used them at the SCR SCCA autox in Charleston, SC this past weekend. In addition to the new wheels/tires I bought a real tire pressure gage. I start off with 40psi F, 36 rear which felt like it was understeering a little too much. I knocked down the rear a psi, and the car felt better. My third run the pressures were 41.5 front and 35 rear. The car felt pretty good here, almost neutral. Throttle off it started to rotate, apply throttle and it straightened right up. Ran by Best time of the day here.

After the official autox was done, there was a chance for some fun runs, so I jumped on that. I hadn't adjusted the pressures before the fun runs and went with whatever they were cold (41 F/ 35 R hot) Turned my best unofficial time that was 0.7s faster!

So, there's another event this Sunday, I plan on running 38F/ 33R cold, and seeing where that gets me. Bottom line, these tires have a ton of grip compared to my old ones, and don't have an issue with rolling.

#20 ·
OK, bumping my own thread, but here's an update on this tire wheel combination. Bumped into a guy from highlands sports car club, who ran identical tires on his SVT, and was in fact running them on a '92 civic at the event yesterday.

He asked me what pressures I was running, 37 front/33 Rear I told him. He looks at me and tells me its way to high. I was a skeptic at first, but I dropped pressure through-out the day. My best run ended up where the tires were 32 front/27 rear, hot. I am sure I can go even a bit lower than this, I think I'm limited by the lack of negative camber in the front though.

I've got three weeks until a CCR SCCA 24 hour event, this should give me a lot of runs to really dial in the pressure. And then I'll need to save up for some LCR camber plates.

#21 ·
Weird. I run really high, like 45/42 hot, just to avoid sidewall scrubbing. Do you have the stock suspension or something else?

Is it possible the times dropping were due to better driving and not better grip?

#23 ·
Weird. I run really high, like 45/42 hot, just to avoid sidewall scrubbing. Do you have the stock suspension or something else?

Oh yeah, suspension is the Roush kit that northcoast was selling last year for $300 or so, included springs, dampers, and a new rear sway.

I bought the kit before I started autocrossing, now I wish I would have held out. Still, I'll probably be upgrading over the winter.

#22 ·
No, side wall scrubbing is not really an issue with these specific tires. I used to run BFGoodrich sport compacts, I wouldn't say side wall scrubbing was an issue...I called it sidewall collapse:D I had to run 45 psi front 40 rear...cold, and I couplete scrubbed the sidewall and 100% of the molded tread down the side. I was concerned running these BFG tires too, max psi rating on these tires is 44psi!!!!! Now don't get me wrong, these are a good streetable tire for the price, they just don't hold up in the stock size on the stock rim when being autocrossed.

So back to my current tires, the Hankook RS-2's. These tires have a very stiff sidewall, I don't even think I have much rollover of the tire at 33psi front. I think the wear I'm seeing on the outside of the tread is my not having enough negative camber in the front. I probably have about -1 degree or so. I really need to run -2 to -2.5 degrees in the front. I also know I can run these tires at lower pressure because the guy who won STS was running the same tires on his Civic, he was running something like 27 F, 22 R. He also got fastest PAX of the day. Now I understand I may not be able to go quite that low with the focus being as heavy as it is, but I can run lower.

#25 ·
Cool, thanks for the extra info...that'll take some time to read through. There's gotta be some good info in these threads though.

#26 ·
This is a sweet thread! I just saw it for the first time. I'm running a Centerline forged 15x7 wheel with 225/50 BFG g-Force sports as a DD/autox combo, so this all hits close to home! They've been good autox learners, and are great on the street. I run the pressures 35 on the street, then up the fronts to 40 as a starting point each event. These are getting noticeably munched up each event, and not wearing hardly at all between events. My plan is to upgrade these to dedicated wheels with competitive STS rubber when the time comes, and attempt to enjoy the stockers on the street. Hopefully they'll last the rest of the year. (1 event a month) Meanwhile, I'll be checking this thread like white streetglows on rice.
Keep us posted!

#27 ·
Alright, I brokedown and orders some camber plates and rear camber bolts. There is a small chance I'll get them installed next weekend. I'd like to use the whole tire at my next autocross :D

#28 ·
What camber settings are you going to use?

Did you just get into autocrossing? You have my exact car! I'm trying to graduate from grad school, so autox has taken a back seat but I plan on being at both days of the Black Lake Michelin autocross. I'm not sure what suspension I'll be on or what tires, but I'll be there!

Have you talked with John Brotbeck? He's the reigning SCR STS champ in a Malibu Blue Focus.

#30 ·
For Camber, I'm thinking -2.5 for the front and -1.5 for the rear, we'll see how that works out.

I will be at the michelin event for sure.

-400'x1400' or the flattest, obstacle free, tarmac on the southeast[headbang]
-Course design by one of the top designers in the country[clap]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.