Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Installing Heated Mirrors

106K views 180 replies 40 participants last post by  D*2.3 
#1 ·
Our SE didn't come with Heated Mirrors or Cruise Control (that will be another post). I would like to add the heated mirrors. Will it be Plug and Play? Can anyone recommend an online source to purchase factory heated mirrors? I assume that I will have to purchase complete units that will come prewired. It might be nice if they also came with the turn signals in the mirror housings.

#139 ·
The puddle lamps are working now, but my relay is annoyingly loud. I didn't want to use a standard bosch type relay because the resistance is too low, but the Omron 680 Ohm relay is quite noisy. I'm wondering if the fade off/on function of the footwell light is causing the relay to operate slowly thus noisily...hmmm.

Even if I can't find a way to quiet the relay down, I'm still happy I went with the heat and puddle instead of just heat. The puddle lamps will be nice when I can see if there's a cat with a white stripe near my car before I step on said striped cat.

#144 ·
Awesome work on this! Just to clarify, you have an ST1 right? Is the wiring then the same as a base model focus? Because previously in the thread people with non titaniums but with turn signal mirrors were able to add the heated mirrors plug and play. But the puddle lights didn't work. So I am wondering if your circuit for the puddle lights will work in that application, or would it just be easier to tap into the dome light circuit for puddle lamps. For the people they get heated mirrors working via plug and play.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 4

#149 ·
Back to the mirrors.....

If you pop out your mirror glass to do this or for any other reason, you may as well pop the mirror cap off and do some sealing while you are at it, if you have noticeable wind noise coming from the mirrors.

With the cap off, if you pay attention to the seams and what not, there are A LOT of places for air to easily pass through. What I would recommend is putting a small bead of silicone at the contact area of every external piece, and let it dry before reassembling. This is so the seams will be sealed once put back together, but without the pieces essentially being glued together by reassembling wet. Also where the bottom inboard sides are at, particularly where the back bottom corner of the cap meets the back side black mirror housing...there are big gaps where air can pass right through from above the horizontal seal at the mirror joint. It also doesn't help that the rear lip of the mirror housing is open/hollow to create additional turbulence. That hollow lip coincidently makes it easy to fill in those gaps at least....stuff some foam in the gap and into the hollow area of the lip on one end, then the other end will end up between the center post area of the mirror joint and the mirror cap when installed.

Anyhow, popping the glass out followed by the mirror cap off is the hardest part. Everything is super easy including reinstall after that, including turn signal and puddle light assys. Made a HUGE difference in wind noise on my car.

#152 · (Edited)
A few pics. I didn't take a lot as I didn't have a helper and most of the process would be self explanatory for someone experienced enough to want to tackle this project anyway.

C238 connector (pic from an earlier post):

The green arrow points to the blue 18 gauge wire coming out of the Delphi pin I add to C238 behind the glove box. This for the mirror heat. This is the only place I ended up using a terminal pin that needed a terminal crimper.

Driver's door module:

The lower driver's door module connector were I removed pins to make the inside the door connections. You can see the bottom row is numbered 13-24 (left to right) thus making the top row 1-12 (left to right). I removed pins 6 & 7 in the center of the top row:

Passenger's door module:

The upper passenger's door module connector were I removed pins to make the inside the door connections. You can see the top row is numbered 13-24 (right to left) thus making the bpttom row 1-12 (right to left). I removed pins 6 & 7 in the center of the bottom row:

#153 ·
Is anyone interested in my C339 connector with pigtails? I removed B2, B3, B4, & B5 for my project. There are no 18 gauge wires left, but there are enough 20 gauge wires to do another heat and puddle upgrade. This connector was removed from an ST, obviously with door modules. I put it in the for sale section. http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4912906

I think I can also throw in a couple of the Delphi pins for C238; I just need to make sure I can find my spares.

#161 ·
I don't remember all the panels and fasteners I removed, so I won't be doing a complete step by step write up. Sorry.

No connections were added to the modules in the doors. The 12V+ heat & puddle wires from the mirror to the module were rerouted to the new wires I ran from under the dash to the inside of the door. I only removed the door module pins so I wouldn't have loose unconnected pigtails coming out of the modules. The C238 heat connection is the only pin I added. The puddle lamps run directly to the battery via a relay. The relay is triggered by the footwell lamp ground.

Hope this helps.

#162 ·
It looks like I'm going to have to install these mirrors on my sister's CPO 2012 Titanium that she just got. We got a great price for her on a 2012 Titanium with 28k miles, and the dealer agreed to install the heated seats for free and give us the heated mirrors at cost so she'd have the winter package minus the mats.

I was just wondering if anyone had figured out another way to get these installed on a Titanium/ST w/intelligent access? I just wasn't sure if there wasn't some way to enable the feature through a programmer or through the FoCCCus software or something along those lines? I have no issues doing the wiring, but I'd like to avoid having to mess around with the actual pins in the harnesses if possible.

#164 ·
Thanks wylee, maybe I'll just do that. I do agree with you there. My 2013 Titanium came with the heated mirrors and seats, and I probably only used them three times this winter, which was one of the worst winters we've had here in the northeast in quite some time. It's just a shame that they're not plug and play across all of the models...

Thanks again!

John

#165 ·
After reading the following thread; http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=402666, I was able to enable my heatable mirrors that I bought almost two years ago. I also had to buy two new door modules (CP9Z-14B291-E and CP9Z-14b291-H) right and left front door modules that have the heat and puddle lamp capability. These were purchased from Tasca for around $80. 30 minutes later, I have both options enabled. This info is for folks, of course with IA.

#166 · (Edited)
So I'm trying to piece the information here together in a summary. I'll edit this post as people correct me.

-SE or SEL models without intelligent access can simply replace their mirror assemblies with ones which are heated, and plug in the wire. No BCM updates required.
-Models with intelligent access need to replace the mirror assemblies, replace both front door modules; then update the BCM using FOccCus (select "long arm heated mirror" option). No complicated wiring is required as mentioned in previous posts.

#167 ·
Models without IA, (intelligent access) do not require any modification other than to remove and replace your stock mirrors with heatable mirrors and you're good to go, nothing involving the BCM. Otherwise, if your Focus has IA, you'll need not only the heatable mirrors but also the LF and RF door modules, (P/N's above post). After everything is installed, update the BCM by selecting the "long arm heated mirror"option and you should be in business. My mirrors also had the puddle lights so I went ahead and enabled those as well. Hope that cleared things up a little.

#168 ·
Wait. So the ability to easily upgrade is based on the intelligent access (key vs no key)? I thought it was dependent on the type of power windows. My SEL has an actual key but auto up/down on all 4 windows. Can I plug-and-play heated mirrors? I can't stand that they don't even clear rain on the highway (stupid aerodynamics). I would love to have heated mirrors again like on my past 2 cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.