Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Focus Fanatics Extreme Autocross Challenge - FAQ

12K views 64 replies 28 participants last post by  WD40 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Autocross has increased in popularity over the last few years and our membership is extremely active in this exciting sport.
As a result, the Moderator staff at FocusFanatics.com decided to put forward a Community Autocross Team.
We will recognize the top members in our community with trophies and determine the fastest focus driver on the site!

We want this exercise to be fun and competitive.
As a result, we will employ a pretty stringent set of rules and verification methods to ensure an even playing field.
We will also rely heavily on the integrity of the membership and the "honor system".
Awards and recognition will be based on the regions and rule sets defined below.

To simplify things, we will base our rule structure on current Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) guidelines for car classification,
allowable modifications and Racer Theoretical Performance (RTP/PAX) indexes.
Regions will correspond with the structure we have established on the web site.

How Do I Join?

Please reply to this thread if have any questions.
The moderators in charged will be happy to provide further information.

We plan on dividing the teams based on geographic locations:
• Hawaii Fanatics
• Northwest Fanatics
• Southwest Fanatics
• Mid-West Fanatics
• Great Lakes Fanatics
• Southern Fanatics
• Northeast Fanatics
• Mid-Atlantic Fanatics
• Southeast Fanatics

The top qualifiers from each region will then compete for the national trophy. Trophies will be given to 1st, 2nd, 3rd place winners on an annual basis.

Reporting and Verification:
Members participating in the Focus Fanatics AX Challenge must submit their scores to the Moderator staff no later than 3 days after posting to their local autocross series “results” page. Results provided to the Moderator Staff must use the following thread:
Post Your Results Here!

Posts should include the following information:
• Focus Fanatics Screen Name
• Car Type (i.e. 2002 SVT focus, 2004 ZX4 etc)
• SCCA Car Class (See Scoring Details)
• Class Placement (1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc)
• Overall Placement (1st, 2nd, 10th, etc)
• MOST IMPORTANT: Web Site where the Moderator Staff can verify the results

Scoring Methodology:
Since the membership often cannot compete “head to head”, we determined a scoring system that evens the playing field across the Focus Fanatics community. Scoring will be determined as follows:

We use SCCA classifications (i.e. GS, STS, STX, SM, etc)

RTP/PAX Indexes will be applied to participants whose local series does not use the handicap system

Final scores using the RTP/PAX system will be used

We base scoring on Class Placement and Bonus Factors for Fastest Time of the Day (FTD – Raw Score) and Overall wins.

Time CANNOT be a factor as each course is different. If 2 or more members run the same event, then the final results sort it out for us.

Scoring template (by class):
1st place: 10 points
2nd place: 9 points
3rd place: 8 points
4th place: 7 points
5th place: 6 points
6th place: 5 points
7th place: 4 points
8th place: 3 points
9th place: 2 points
10th place: 1 point

Now we factor in class:
HS: x 6 points
GS: x 5 points
STS: x 4 points
STX: x 3 points
DSP: x 2 points
SM: x 1 point

Now factor in placement for overall standings. Because it is possible for different classes to garner FTD and overall wins, this represents a bonus opportunity for the membership to earn additional points.

FTD: + 10 points
Overall Win: + 20 points

For example - Joe Schmutley, competing in GS vs. Bennie Bagodonuts in DSP:

--------------------------------------------------​

Schmutley(GS Class) takes 1st in class worth 10 points (class) multiplied by a factor of 5 = 50, and finishes 2nd overall earns a total of:​

50(5 points*10) + 9(2nd place) = 59 points

Bagodonuts(DSP Class) takes 1st overall in class (10 points) multiplied by a factor of 2 = 20, but wins overall (+20 points) earns and the FTD (+10 points):​

20(2 points*10) + 20(Overall Win) + 10(1st place) = 50 points

Schmutley would be the winner.​

While this system isn’t perfect, it is the most equitable system that we could determine.

Moderators in charged of overseeing the Autocross Challenge
1) WeeAsp
2) tiresmoker
3) WD40

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Sign me up! I think this is a brilliant idea!!!

Just a few questions...
A number of autocrossers run with multiple clubs. I live in the Chicago area and can run with four clubs that follow the SCCA classing structure and rules:
Chicago SCCA
Milwaukee SCCA
Wisconsin Autocrossers Inc.
Tri-State Sport Car Council

How will we handle the number of events and clubs that any one person might run within a season?

1) I could run 30+ events if I wanted to and someone else might only be able to run 8 events for a season. Will we take just the top X number of events and only those will count toward points?

2) Will we use results from multiple clubs or do we have to declare a single club for the season?

3) Will it matter which club I'm running with? Not all clubs follow SCCA classing guidelines. The Windy Miata Club is one example.

4) Any thoughts on how you'll handle the open street tire classes? I'm not referring to the ST classes, but the combined class that catches everyone not running r compound tires. Some clubs run a FWD class and a RWD class, while other clubs combine the two.

5) Minimum class participation...If you're the only one running in GS that day, do you still get full points for that event?

Ed

#3 ·
id love to join as well, thing is where i live all year i think we only ran 4 a/x 3-4 were cancelled so for me itd suck cuz i only get 4 chances to do good as someone like DD gets pwards of 30 chances, but i think im moving to GB so i may be able to run in more

#4 ·
I think this is a great idea, but that's my only issue, is the number of events I'm able to attend each year, so how will this work?
Perhaps there should be a minimum number of events to enter the competition (if you think you won't make say - 10 events - you shouldn't enter) and just take the top results from people who make more than required - like dirtydeeds suggested.

#6 ·
CA residents will compete in the South Western region. As for your other comment, please don't post unless you are taking it seriously.

For everyone else, thanks for the feedback. We plan on limiting the points submission to only 10 per the entire season. Basically the most you can submit is 10 submissions. If you participate in more events, you can opt to hold out and submit your best points but that needs to be done within a 3 day window from each race event. After which those points will be forfeited until your next event.

WeeASP, WD40, and tiresmoker who really did a fantastic job of putting this together will have more input. Again this is our first time forming such an event so please bare with us until we get all the bugs worked out. We estimate it will take at least the first season to work out all the kinks.

In the long run it will be fun for everyone as they will receive recognition "bragging rights" on the forum as well as trophies.[race]

#14 ·

Reporting and Verification:
Members participating in the Focus Fanatics AX Challenge must submit their scores to the Moderator staff no later than 3 days after posting to their local autocross series “results” page

That being said, we could run into some issues with said regions where they don't get the results up for a week. Now it may take them a week to get them up, but as long as it is submitted to the Moderator Staff within 3 days of the posting, then everything will be fine.

I remember the 2006 season the one club I ran with was having problems like that.

This ought to make for an interesting season next year. Good luck to all that are going to participate. [thumb]

tiresmoker
FF Moderator

#16 ·
wtf if my region has a site everyones should, then again i see all of the results on the northern car cb site so maybe check the car club site or ask the head for a printout, but it will stull need to be on an honor system

#18 ·
How about those that are in the military and usually move around every few years? Will they just move into another geographical location?

#20 ·
As others indicated, we put a lot of thought into this and recognize that it can't be perfect, but we'll try to get it as close as we can. [thumb]

Relative to military personnel, you should be at a duty station for at least a year. In instances of TDY, we can make some adjustments, but I think we would look at those on a case by case basis.

This should be a LOT of fun!

#23 ·
so when is the start date for this, or is it gonna be all of 08 then all of 09 and whatever you race in that year up to 10 events is good?

DD ima be running sts as well, maybe ill come down to chitown fora race so i can race with ya[thumb]

#29 ·
The start date for the challenge begins with whomever posts their results first.

You can anticipate that events will begin in March (for the warmer climates) and the season will extend into November. That's the "season" that most clubs run.

For those who start early, remember that you can only log 10 events as part of the competition.

I will be competing in GS.

#27 ·
two of the clubs I regularly run with are not SCCA. that being said, I don't have a problem with running with a porsche club, as long as it's done in a focus and you have a way to prove the times run. (ex: website that posts results)

We would like to open this to everyone that has a Focus and would like to compete. Hopefully we can get a decent showing in the community and this will gain in popularity. this has the potential to turn into something big, if you can, get in on it now. [thumb]

#32 ·
Of the 5 questions I posted a few days ago, I've seen answers for the first three. Two more to go...

4) Any thoughts on how you'll handle the open street tire classes? I'm not referring to the ST classes, but the combined class that catches everyone not running r compound tires. Some clubs run a FWD class and a RWD class, while other clubs combine the two.

5) Minimum class participation...If you're the only one running in GS that day, do you still get full points for that event?

As for the number of events. I checked the four clubs that I listed in my first post and they all run 8 events per year. Out of these eight events, a driver's two or three lowest scored events are dropped and the remaining 5 or 6 count towards the season championship.

I'm not saying that you should drop the number of events, just giving you an idea of what goes on in the Chicago/Milwaukee area.

Ed

#34 ·
K here's my take on it.

4) Not really sure what you mean here. If you're not on r-copms and your car fits into one of the ST* classes that's where you run. Are you saying like a SM or *SP car running in a catch all class because of no r-comps? Basically whatever your car fits into by the SCCA guidelines that is what class you should run and enter here with.

5) The way two of the groups I run with do it like this. If there are classes running that day that only have 1 entry, then all those classes get grouped together into and index class. Basically then they have someone to run against, but their PAX times count for places in that class to make it fair, not RAW times.

Not really sure at this point how to take care of that situation. You did bring up an interesting point with #5 though, I'll definately have to look into that.

As far as the runs are concerned, that's why we gave the option to choose which ones you would like to count. Say you have an event on Saturday, then an Event on Sunday. You may want to wait until after the event on Sunday to see which one you placed higher in.

Just remember though, you have to post up your times within (3) days of the time they are posted up on whatevers website for verification. Kinda like pick and choose.

#35 ·
For #4...if I show up at an SCCA event in Chicago or Milwaukee and lets say I have a totally stock SVT on regular street tires. Instead of being put into GS, I'll be placed into an combined index class.
Because I'm running on street tires, I'll be competing with everyone else running street tires. Here's a link to a results page from a Milwaukee event this past year.
http://www.scca-milwaukee.org/Solo/2007/event3_fin_NoPro.htm

Scroll down toward the bottom to view the combined street tire classes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.