Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Aftermarket stereo illumination

4K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  opies 
#1 ·
Has anyone successfully gotten their aftermarket stereo to function as intended based on the headlights being on or off? I have the FRST2 hooked up and apparently it does not send a signal to a Pioneer avic x940 to tell it whether the lights are on or off. I would love for it to trigger the automatic dimmer and night/day feature on the nav screen.

#2 ·
unfortunately that works in very few cars. most don't send the proper signal for it to work right. I installed at best buy for several years and we never used it. couldn't promise the customer it would work properly so we didn't bother with them.

#4 ·
would depend what trigger the headunit is looking for and if it have a voltage limit for it. if you can provide the correct signal then i'm sure we can find a way to make it work. i'll see if i can find the owners manual for your unit online tomorrow and look in to it.

#6 ·
Never mind. I misread your question. It sounds like Kipp has you pretty much covered.

One thing I will say is that to get my headunit (Pioneer DEH-P3500) to dim with the headlights, all I needed to do was wire the elimination input from the car into the elimination wire from the headunit. Io don't know how your radios wiring pigtails and the cars wiring harnesses are set up but I assume it will be something similar.

#7 ·
well neither that manual or the install manual have the info I was looking for. was trying to see what that illumination trigger needed to work. It should just need to see either a ground or possitive input for it to change; i'm just not sure which one. if all it wants is just a trigger and not a dimming input then you can use either the illumination wire or a parking light wire. you may need a relay though to change it to the correct trigger to work. Did your car come with sync? If not then the ill wire at the headunit should work, but if it had sync then looks like it's a data wire and you'll have to go to the parking light.

#9 ·
It does have Sync. I have to pull the frst2 module out to get some info off it because the its not programming the steering wheel controls, ill see what the factory illumination wire is giving for an output.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

#12 ·
I also discovered today that I have lost the ability to dim or brighten the gauge lighting. I thought maybe the dimmer needed to be turned all the way up to get a signal to the head unit.

Not happy. No SWC, no illumination signal and losing the ability to change the brightness of the gauge lighting. I did update the module and I am in contact with Axxess.

#13 ·
Well, today I decided to bypass all the sync functions regarding bluetooth and audio. So I pulled everything out to get the microphone and iPod cable connected and run. Put everything back together and the SWC's now work.

I also discovered that the gauge illumination is dependent on ambient light. They will only change a certain amount during the day, and more at night. So that is also working.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.