Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Performance mods for ATX

4K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  focaltech 
#1 ·
Im not all that familiar with the specifics of performance mods. I just had a quick question.. Are there any low-end performance mods (CAI,TB, UDP,etc.) that are of little or no benefit if you have automatic transmission? I know all in all, they would help in some way, but I dont know what mods would give a significantly better effect to a MTX over ATX. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

#2 ·
Some ideas.

1. Chip to smooth out your shifting - about $200-250. No HP gain. Just makes your car more fun to drive.
2. Intake - about $35-300. Depending on if you buy just a cone filter or intake system.
Looking at about 2-3HP gain at the wheels.
3. 65mm TB - about $200-250. better throttle response, which make car more fun to drive. About 2-3HP gain at the wheels.
4. UDP - about $80-120. about a 2-3HP gain at the wheels.
5. Focus Fanatics sticker - free after 100 posts. About a 50HP gain at the wheels.[;)]

#5 ·
haha those stickers are only putting out 50HP, weak!!!1 lol j/k Thanks for the advice. You seem to be knowledgable, so let me ask you this... When I bought my car, they told me I could do no performance mods other than catback exhaust without voiding my warranty. Now i see all these people with modded cars which are nearly new and should be under warranty. DO these people just take the risk of having to pay for any future work on their car, or are their exceptions. My info came right from Ford dealer at which I bought my car, adn he seemed to tell me I couldnt do anything to my car except: catback, 17 rims, audio, etc. Any comment on this?

#7 ·
ok so what about these people with chips, TB, etc. Do they probably do most of their repairs themselves? and care less about warranty? Because as far as engine maintenance and such is concerned I know very little. Therefore, it would not be smart to start modding performance wise, thus voiding my warranty, correct?

#9 ·
ahh, thanks for the info. I know bout intakes and what not, i could easily take that off. Didnt know it was as simple to just take chip out, thought it might be more complex. Thanks to all for the input.

#10 ·
Also, if something goes wrong with your car under warranty, the dealer needs to prove that your aftermarket part did the damage. [/B][/QUOTE

In theory that is correct, in reality depending on the problem, the dealership, etc. it could come down to who has the most time and money to dispute the decision, you or Ford.
Just remember, when you mod your car you could be left holding the bag if you have a problem, there are no guarantees.

#12 ·
Zx3-Chick,
I knew that I couldnt just buy a brand new car and do whatever I wanted to it, because of the warranty. But yes, the guy told me I could go as far as CATBACK exhaust, 17" rims with certain size tires, any aerodynamics, tint, audio. he said any modifications that alter the performance or status of the engine will void the warranty. Then someone that I know told me exactly what you guys just told me. That i can do whatever I want to my car, but If something under warranty goes wrong, they have to prove the aftermarket products caused the damage. In all honesty, I dont even feel like going through that..lol I guess ill have to ask them and clarify next time Im there, Im on a decent personal level with one of the guys there, maybe he'll give me a straight answer.

#14 ·
Just letting you know. I had a TB, CAI, Chip, UDP, and a few other things on my old Focus and the only thing they wouldn't cover was the alternator when it gave out on me. I had a system and they blamed on that. With the current one, they said that they wouldn't cover what I did to certain things. For example, I have the Iceman CAI and that uses the stock airbox, they wont cover any problems on the airbox. The rest of the moding will have to wait until the warranty is up in a couple K miles.

#15 ·
well in this case, i def need to have a thorough discussion with my sales guy at Ford. I just wanna know for sure what kind of limitations I have. Like I said in another forum, i dont lan on drastically modding my car with performance mods, how fast my car is, is not my main concern. But I would like to switch some things to make it more fun to drive. Thanks for all your input guys, and girls..lol

just looking for an opinion here.. I have a black sedan. Im tinting the windows next week after i get my car inspected. do u guys think it would look good or stupid if I also blacked out the heads and tails? Comments welcome.

#17 ·
lol good call. Well my ex had them on her mustang and she never got in trouble. Im just wondering if you think it would look weird if My car was toally blacked out. Cuz it would be Totally Black!! no chrome trims, with black windows, and blacked out lights..lol And im even thinking of getting wheels that are black inside with the silver machined lip.. I just dont know if it will be too much, ya know. In my head it looks good..lol guess we'll see.

#18 ·
If you are looking for a 100% guarantee then the saleman can not give you that. The warranty will state that oral changes or interpertation of the warranty are not allow by anyone. For a 100% guarantee that you will have no problem, then you will need to keep your car as delivered by Ford. In real fact, it is up to your local dealer to decide if your have a warranty claim. The service department has a large amount of say as to what is covered under warranty and what is not warranty.

#19 ·
well then if thats the case i dont think ill be doing much engine mods. Because 1) I dont have the knowledge of engines and the like, to fix things myself. 2) I dont have to money to put cash out for repairs if I do void my warranty by modding. So, ill play it safe and work up on some styling mods, wheels, exhaust, audio. Then when the warranty is done, Ill start modding slightly for perormance. By that time I hope to have adequate knowledge to do most work myself.

#20 ·
I believe all black would look good. My ZX5 is white and I have white rims, white Tribute
door handles etc.......Tried to stay with the white theme, some people like it some don't.
Doesn't matter, I like it and that's all that counts so if you think it looks good, go for it.

#21 ·
oh i agree, i do me for me, not for anyone else. Just wanted opinions. The only reason I may not want to do it, is that there is a TOTALLY Blacked out VW Jetta around my neighborhood, quite nice. Black rims, 5% tint, blacked out lights, dropped. I like to be original, but I guess the girl that drives the Jetta beat me to it..lol

#22 ·
microtonal said:
Some ideas.

1. Chip to smooth out your shifting - about $200-250. No HP gain. Just makes your car more fun to drive.
2. Intake - about $35-300. Depending on if you buy just a cone filter or intake system.
Looking at about 2-3HP gain at the wheels.
3. 65mm TB - about $200-250. better throttle response, which make car more fun to drive. About 2-3HP gain at the wheels.
4. UDP - about $80-120. about a 2-3HP gain at the wheels.
5. Focus Fanatics sticker - free after 100 posts. About a 50HP gain at the wheels.[;)]

[werd]

#24 ·
Question:

If you drive around a place with mph marker of 25 as the limit, and your with an automatic tranny running in 1st gear, what is the safest rpm to get up to... I tested in @ 25 m.p.h. in first gear with just topping over 4000 rpm....?

#25 ·
Once again, the question of warranty is very subjective. I wouldn't think a header would cause your warranty to be voided unless it's proven to be the direct cause of the problem.
Sounds good in theory, in reality who really knows except the powers to be at almighty Ford.

The C.A.R.B. thing I believe pertains to smog or emissions requirements and has nothing to do with warranty validation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.