Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Another SGM MKIII Build! Now with ST content! Both FoST and FiST!!

166K views 1K replies 105 participants last post by  TboneZX3 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, we know where this is going. I say some things and post lots of pics.

I had a Red '02 ZX3 back in '02. Bone stock, de-badged, helicopter sticker on the rear glass. Loved it. It got traded in on a Ranger in '04 because I thought I needed a truck. Really missed it a lot, I was surprised at how many people associated me with that vehicle. No pics (sigh).

Fast forward to Feb '13. I went and bought this.

I was happy with it. Everything was fine for a week, but then I saw two brand new Ti's on their lot. Then at another dealership I saw this -

If you want to jump to the beginning of when I got serious with the Ti build then jump to post #248. Ultimately I took it to this point before buying my ST, and now I'm done with modifying it and 'Focus'ing on the ST.

*Shots courtesy of Jdubhack*

If you want to jump to the ST, the first pic starts at post #495 though the actual build has yet to occur.

First official ST pic-

Or you can jump to #603 for the final GiGi pic with the FiST-

And of course if you're just bored and interested in my ramble (at least the parts that I haven't already edited out), then start here and kill a few minutes!

See less See more
#2 ·
Ok, my thoughts...

I am really not digging the black wheels. Just doesn't strike me on the gray car. I think it looks better with the silver. I have not seen anyone do it, but what about blacking out just the center portion of the spokes? That might look pretty neat.

And on the rear tails, I like the shape change with the dip, but for final application I really think it would look best body color.

#3 ·
I pretty much agree with you on the wheels, though I need to see the monochrome and red calipers before changing them up. I have some ideas...[idea]

I think you will like the tails on completion. That update will occur in 3-4 weeks as my schedule is about to get busy.

Thanks for the input![thumb]

#6 ·
The color is one of the best, imho. Maybe the Race Red would have swayed me (Power Surge), but it wasn't offered in the Ti. SGM, for use, cleanliness appearance, and scratch/swirl hiding- I don't think it can be beat. And I can't tell for sure, but if I am seeing your avatar correctly then I will need to choose a new RACING STRIPE! I must think now.[idea]

My only question, and this isn't meant to be rude or mean, but why bother with the MS3 rear motor mount on a DD? Not like you're slamming the gears with the pedal to the metal and getting that engine to rock back and forth... are you? And even then that really only applies to the manual Ti.

Other than that, I think you have some cool ideas aesthetically, of course the eyelids and rear light "lids" should be body color, but the rear shape does look really cool. Black wheels are meh to me, but this is your car not mine, so if you like it you should keep it.
Your post didn't come off wrong, constructive criticism can help me as many things are just concepts in my head. I wanted the mount to help firm up the shifts. When the DCT isn't cooperating (which is less after the last update), a little less slop would be nice. That, and I've seen some of the dyno video's...this mount needs help with engines that have more power. Just trying to stay ahead of the game[thumb].

I think that when the final product starts to come together, it will look better than the Dip mods. I don't want to let the cat out of the bag just yet, though[8D]

#5 ·
My only question, and this isn't meant to be rude or mean, but why bother with the MS3 rear motor mount on a DD? Not like you're slamming the gears with the pedal to the metal and getting that engine to rock back and forth... are you? And even then that really only applies to the manual Ti.

Other than that, I think you have some cool ideas aesthetically, of course the eyelids and rear light "lids" should be body color, but the rear shape does look really cool. Black wheels are meh to me, but this is your car not mine, so if you like it you should keep it.

#11 ·
[thumb] I'm cool with constructive criticism, though it is nice to have at least one person that likes it.

I think that the proportion is all out of whack with the black rims. Interestingly, after I Dipped them it appeared as if I had thrown in a suspension lift. I gave the car a couple days to re-settle from being on the jacks half a day, and it looks no better. So hopefully the springs get installed in the next couple of weeks and can help re-unify it.

Side Note-My buddy has a Black Ti hatch (wife's), and he's holding out for a Turbo Veloster...Thought you may get a kick out of that being in your signature!

#10 ·
I'm seeing a pattern here...and I do appreciate the responses. All black wheels may not be in the cards, but I am going to keep sporting them while the rest of the mods begin their final application. Then, when the rest of the exterior/suspension mods are on, I'll post a pic both before and after the removal of the plasti-dip. This is, of course, assuming the dip lasts another month or two. I'm generally too busy (lazy) to hand wash and typically run through the pressure wash 3 weeks a month.

I do have a few alternate ideas for the wheels, something I'll play with prior to final paint...[thumb]

I also wonder if the pics are throwing it off. Those who have seen the car in person love the change. Even I hate the way it looks in the pics...Idk, we'll see.

Thanks again for the comments!

#12 ·
Love what you've done so far! I'm getting a set of black wheels for my SGM hatch but with a silver lip around them, so it has some separation from the black of the tire. Looking forward to seeing the future mods too [woot]

#15 ·
Thanks[thumb] That's a pretty good idea with the wheels...[idea]

It's just cool man you're like me just daring to be different and who cares, it's all in good personal fun to stand out a little bit.

The first picture looks hot that's what first caught my eye in the plasti dip thread, I saved that pic. But the second pic you have up here looks eh - it's just the angle and lighting. I can see though, how in the first pic it works well. (And you can peel the stuff off, or just peel one side off, go half and half.)

[facepalm] He must like cheap plastic and small Korean cars. The HV just doesn't stand up to the Ti for my needs, that's all I'm saying. Had a walkaround of one; little room in there for what I would need it for, and just like PatroN said, haha. (not to go off topic or anything) to each his own as the saying goes.
We do have some pretty nasty contour on those headlights. It is very angular and semi-unattractive when viewed in any direction other than head on. I just don't want to cover the reflectors. I use the Loder 1899 Mk3 for inspiration, and that is one thing I really don't like about it-the eyelids.

I agree with you on the Veloster. Neat in some ideas, not remotely near the quality of the Ti, and sporting the H badge that (while they have gotten better) I don't think I can ever fully trust. Even if I was cool with it, the last thing I need is a turbo. That's why I chose a Ti now over paying roughly the same for the ST.

There is no off-topic in this thread to me. Just chillin. Real opinions, real chat. Just trying to get to know some fellow enthusiasts and their thought processes.[cheers]

#13 ·
It's just cool man you're like me just daring to be different and who cares, it's all in good personal fun to stand out a little bit.

The first picture looks hot that's what first caught my eye in the plasti dip thread, I saved that pic. But the second pic you have up here looks eh - it's just the angle and lighting. I can see though, how in the first pic it works well. (And you can peel the stuff off, or just peel one side off, go half and half.)

[facepalm] He must like cheap plastic and small Korean cars. The HV just doesn't stand up to the Ti for my needs, that's all I'm saying. Had a walkaround of one; little room in there for what I would need it for, and just like PatroN said, haha. (not to go off topic or anything) to each his own as the saying goes.

#20 ·
I couldn't tell exactly what was in your Avatar, but I figured if I threw out A&P that I would get something. Most ATP's appreciate those that try to do work by the book![thumb]

Most all in-channel visors require the removal of the felt for good adhesion. I would imagine that people not wanting to remove it may be what is causing the motor issues. One or two had motors fail, others seemed to complain that it was interfering with the auto up/down. Idk for sure.

[cheers]

#24 ·
Hello Duane, a fellow NC Focus owner here. Am assuming maybe military A&P from your location? I have a nephew stationed at Bragg, Navy Corpsman, just back from Afghanistan.

I am afraid, like others, not liking those dipped wheels. I guess I am blind but I flat out missed/don't see the pinstripe!! Looking forward to future pics.

On the visors, I have some WeatherTech units on order that won't be in stock and shipped until the middle of the month. According to the online instructions, you don't have to remove any felt. If they don't fit, I will be returning them as I don't like the added wind noise but will try and live with it for a little ventilation in the summer. Good thing about in channel ones is that you can remove them with no marring of the vehicle. The Ford ones on my '02 Explorer are peeling away too but have been on for a long time so I can't complain. I'll let you know how I like the in channel ones. I wasn't too keen on their slow response to my e-mails about why they had not shipped several days after ordering and finally had to call them. Only then did I have a clue they were out of stock till mid June, this was mid May when they are telling me this!! It let me order online and everything looked good, still doesn't say "backorder", just "In Process".[:(] Not starting off on a good note in my opinion!

#25 ·
Yes, stuck here in Fayettenam. I did 8 years active duty in the Army and after getting out I went and tested for the civilian certication. I worked a couple of years around some school trained A&P mechanics to get a solid working knowledge. Then, unfortunately, I got sucked into the pay of governments contracting. As a mechanic, pay pretty much sucks everywhere else. Thanks to your nephew for his service!

In order to see the pinstripe, you have to click to see the 'full size' image, and it is on the chrome beltline. I've been trying to find a way to keep the chrome, but either I have to keep my wheels stock or pull my tint...sill trying to work through it. I have no imagination and can't just 'visualize' something, I have to actually see things.

I really want in-channel visors. The look grows on you really fast, and I hate opening the door to a face full of hot air. (Ford-why we no can window down with key fob?) I listen to my music loud, so the noise doesn't affect me, but I wanted people to be aware of the change because it really surprised me.

Good to Cyber-meet you!

#26 ·
I really want in-channel visors. The look grows on you really fast, and I hate opening the door to a face full of hot air. (Ford-why we no can window down with key fob?) I listen to my music loud, so the noise doesn't affect me, but I wanted people to be aware of the change because it really surprised me.
I just ordered the EGR in channel from AutoAnything for $57.76 shipped. We'll see how they go.

#28 ·
Clear coat the black on the wheels to give it a gloss look and those wheels will look 500x better.

#30 ·
In the latest Ti news, today my MS3 mount arrived. After I quickly tossed some food down, I completed the install. I do have minor concern over using a non-shouldered bolt, but it could be nothing. I will check it in 500-1000 miles and report anything out of the norm.

That being said, don't think this is a worthless mod for DCT cars. The first drive was amazing! Very smooth, no vibration (even running 91 and stopped at lights), and the shifts felt much more firm. I was surprised out how much better the DCT did with the last update, and this only made that even better. For about $45, I would even recommend this for a DD that doesn't get a lot of spirited driving.

I'll post any significant changes as the mount breaks in.

I'm also going to attempt to get on my buddies dyno on Friday for a baseline. No guarantees, but if it doesn't happen by this weekend then it should most definitely happen by next weekend.[cheers]

#34 ·
Hi dyn085 nice to see a fellow A&P on here. [thumb] I've only worked commercial but can appreciate the - if it ain't broke ill take it apart and make it better attitude- [:)] I like the direction the car is going.

#36 ·
Ok, another quick update and pic (if I can get it on here). Wall of text:

Started the morning on the dyno, with my buddies Tuxedo Black Ti waiting patiently so that I could get a baseline with the stock filter. Did a quick pull so that he could get going and came up with 142 hp on the OEM filter. This was the uncorrected number, and unfortunately we had set the calibration incorrectly so the torque number was unusable. Unless you care to believe that I made over 240 ft lbs. Then, it was a bad-azz Ti.

I threw the OEM filter back in my buddies car so that he could get off to his son's baseball game. I threw my K&N filter back in, we re-calibrated the dyno, and made a few more pulls. The most usable number was 153 hp, 144 ft lbs. I will post the graph later, but that is throwing out the low (150 hp) and high (159 hp). These are all uncorrected, so subtract about 3 for the SAE numbers. He is going to email me the graphs later on tonight.

I will say right now that I won't argue anyone about the dyno. I have no reason to deceive you or lie as most of us will never meet. I don't want the internets fastest DCT, I want a fun DD. I will answer questions, though, but lets not argue. If you don't want to believe it, then don't.

Next, we threw in the springs. I think that the drop is perfect for me. Subtle, yes, but this is a DD and I don't need to put it on the ground. The ride feels very near stock, though I will say that it is a bit stiffer. Body roll is diminished, but this is a comparison to the Handling Package. It may settle a bit more over the next week, but I'm not expecting anything that would blow you away. I may try to post pics in a week. Here is pic(?)-

Wall of text over.[werd]

#37 ·
Let me clarify something, as people are already trying to flame my information.

I gain nothing by lying to you. You don't have to believe me. This is all ok. Just consider that many things I've said in these forums has been initially discounted or flamed, to later be found to be true or near true. I've worked cars and aircraft for 15 years.

Most all of you will never meet me, and this is ok. I only pass on as factual information as I have, I'm not trying to win some internet award.

I am using V-Power premium (93 octane), a K&N drop-in, a snorkel delete ram-ish air mod (of my design), and I did a hard break-in with the car before 50 miles. Take the information or leave it, it's your call.

Maybe I can get my buddies Ti on the dyno next weekend, completely stock running regular unleaded. If I can talk him into it, I will post numbers here as well.

#38 ·
Interesting that you got those kinds of numbers. Can't wait to see the graphs. Did you delete the "air intake muffler" or are you talking about the piece that connects to the front of the car to the air box? I also believe the 91 or 93 Octane played a part in higher numbers, most of the other Dynos that have been posted on here have been using 87 or 89 Octane.

#40 ·
I only deleted the snorkel, then comed a piece of plastic in the bumper to push the rubber flap down (others have just cut it). This is my ram-ish mod. It will soon go to fiberglass to make a functional ram. The resonator is still installed.

I believe the 93 octane made a bunch of the numbers, but the OEM filter was run on the 93. I think that is how I got in the 140's, because the only other DCT numbers I can recall were high 130's.

#39 ·
if you see my post in the other thread, I got most of it answered here except for what dyno and version you're using. looking good though

#42 ·
I'm just curious... we had a 2012 charger come in but the software only went up to 2010. and my friend tried to run his stock fiesta but it was too new.

Just wonder if it ended up being run as a 2011 with the weight tweaked. it would be close but I could see it showing a little more or less. We use a mustang dyno too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.