Focus Fanatics Forum banner

FSWerks Header? Buy it??

19K views 117 replies 23 participants last post by  SlickWilly 
#1 ·
A lot of yall know me I come on and off the forums, but you pretty much know what's been modded to my focus. If you don't then click on my profile and look real quick so you can answer my follow up question.

I've had the Race Header from Fswerks on my wish list for a long time the thing that kinda, side tracked me was that I needed a tune for it. However, is the tune necessary to get it at the same time? Or even soon? The only problem I hear it causes is the o2 sensor light go off on the dashboard.. I can deal with that for a couple of months.

Anyways FSWERKS is giving a 20% off sale which is nearly -$100 off so instead of paying $410 w s/h + taxes I'd be paying $340 including everything. The normal price for the 4-1 race header is $379.99 so i'm getting a great deal.

http://www.focussport.com/headers.htm

Bad news is the deal ends tomorrow so I need to make a decision quick and is to why I'm asking yalls opinion, is header safe to be put in my car? Thats why I need you to look into my profile and see if it will interfere or cause problems with any of my current mods. P.S. Do I need to also get that "2.5 Flex joint & extension" they sell for an additional $89?

Thanks for the help in advance!

EDIT i added a pic to this post of my profile so yall dont have to go into my profile instead...

See less See more
#2 ·
If you have the loot to cover it today; get it! The tune will help rectify the air and fuel maps within ECU as well as turn that o2 issue off.

You don't have to tune it, but you'll hear a difference in EVERY car with exhaust upgrades once you hear what it does for your own... the tone changes very slightly and the sound of the exhaust sounds more in order that a system that's just got new pipes on it.

Saving a C-note is a pretty compelling reason to do this. Especially since it's already on the punch-list! Save a little money for some tuning; a little dust on the box ain't gonna kill you or the header: and it may motivate you to do side jobs to make the money that much faster!

#3 ·
^^^ I agree with this. If you have the cash now, buy the header and appropriate flex pipe and then save up for a tune. When my header was installed, I drove the car a mile back to my house to tune it and it ran like s#%$. I can't imagine running it like that for a month or two. But with the tune, the header is great. Definitely one of favorite mods to date

#6 ·
I got an OBX header for mine and just reused the stock flex pipe... that with a larger exhaust system and it's hella loud as it is!

Buy the thing while it's cheap, and sit on it until you feel your coffers are appropriately full... but do it right, man! Don't be that guy; you know... like that Honda-kid: rockin' an HKS fart can and unpainted body pieces!

#7 ·
Well heres what I'm gonna do.. I'll go ahead and get the header since its on sale and by time it gets here I'm gonna look around town to see if I find a shop that tunes headers. As far as the flex pipe goes I don't think I'm gonna get it, its an additional $100 and I'm already using the stock flex pipe on my 2'5 inch exhaust so I don't think its gonna make a difference now with the header on the other end. Hows that sound?

EDIT.. ERMM speaking with the guy from fswerks he really recommended and insited I get the flex pipe just so it doesnt choke some of the sound.. w.e he gave it to me half price for $50 so atleast ill have it all just need to get my tune when i get it here!! i'm excited thanks guys ill keep yall updated with the status.

#8 ·
Well heres what I'm gonna do.. I'll go ahead and get the header since its on sale and by time it gets here I'm gonna look around town to see if I find a shop that tunes headers. As far as the flex pipe goes I don't think I'm gonna get it, its an additional $100 and I'm already using the stock flex pipe on my 2'5 inch exhaust so I don't think its gonna make a difference now with the header on the other end. Hows that sound?
The stock flex pipe is welded to the stock manifold. So unless you wanna cut it off and try to make it work then I suggest just buying their flex pipe. I know it's expensive but it's worth it. I think it will save you some headaches later on when you go to install it.

As far as harming your engine and the tune is concerned, the addition of a header I believe requires 10 to 15% more fuel over stock. Don't quote me on that though. It won't harm your motor as long as you don't try to beat up on it. For the tune, you could find a shop to tune it but I rather have someone tune it who has a lot of experience with our car and motors like Tom and Randy

#9 ·
Yeah I actually did go ahead and buy the Flex pipe cuz the seller gave me a good deal on it when I was checking out. And the if the header does require more fuel over stock it wont damage it if I still use 87 octane until I get it tuned? and what exactly do u mean by "try not to beat up on it" ??

#10 ·
I don't think 87 octane will be problem but I'm not sure. When my header was installed, I was already tuned for 93 octane and then I just got the tune updated for the addition of the header. And by beating on it, I mean WOT pulls and mashing the throttle. If you install the header without a tune, I would take it easy until the tune. Tuning is everything when it comes to engine mods

#16 ·
Well, of the shops around us locally, I don't recommend Top Dead Center. While they tuned my car, they treated a few of my friends poorly, so I can't recommend going to them.

I'd touch base with FSwerks again, and see what there recommendation is for getting a tune with the car. They may be able to sell you a SCT with a tune loaded on it that will be good to go, no remote tuning needed. As they list on the website, they recommend custom tunes for: "If you need programming for turbo kits, supercharger kits, nitrous kits, aftermarket intake manifolds, or modified stock intake manifolds you will need to call for details and prices."

The exahaust side is not as critical for custom tuning, its on the intake side that you really get into danger of going too lean with your air fuel ratio.

I can probably give you a hand on the install of this too, its a bit more work than your suspension ;)

#17 ·
I have 2 cats on my car from factory. Is it even worthit to buy a header and fswerks steath exhaust.
Posted via FF Mobile

#22 ·
Yes, I ended up getting the flex pipe anyways! :D

Whoops sorry should have read the thread better, lol. Anyway, I'd vote to just get a xcal3/tune from Randy. He'll have it tuned rather quickly and his turnaround time is fast also.
And yeah I just called FSWERKS again about the tune and I told them that I'm buying the header now just to get the lock in deal with the discounts but within the next couple of weeks I'll be buying the tuner.

He did tell me that if I install the header without the tuner it won't have any problems and it wont cause any harm to the motor, I just need to start using premium gas (minimum 91 octane) and all the tuner will do is just make the performance better and ofc have the sensor disabled and make it work better but until then he told me I can go ahead and install the header it wont cause any harm.

Yet again he's a salesman, but he's from fswerks so idk its not just any salesman to me he's gotta know what he's talking about.

#26 ·
W/ a header, I'd a stealth muffler to the order too. It bolt's right up to the fwerk's flex pipe. & Yes get the 2.5'' flex to go w/ the header. Your going to love the ceramic coated header. Add a tune w/ the rear o2 senser & egr delete. Don't get the regular fuel tune option= it's worth the 2-4.00 per tank to for the performance. I ordered the reg, fuel tune & have yet to use it. For some pix, checkout my pix album's.

#29 ·
Yeah I did order their 2.5" flex pipe to. And I always hear from everyone saying that if you have a race header get a stealth exhaust and I agree it sounds good, but since I already have the race exhaust I'll have to try it. If its too loud I can always buy the stealth resonator separate. And yah when I get the tune I saw you can get it to still use reg tune but idk I kinda rather pay the extra penny at the pump, I really wont notice a difference in budget unless I take a trip with the car.

#27 ·
The stock flex pipe is welded to the stock manifold. So unless you wanna cut it off and try to make it work then I suggest just buying their flex pipe. I know it's expensive but it's worth it. I think it will save you some headaches later on when you go to install it.

Just to clarify the 08+ the manifold is NOT welded to the mani cat

#28 ·
The stock flex pipe is welded to the stock manifold. So unless you wanna cut it off and try to make it work then.>>>> I suggest just buying their flex pipe. I know it's expensive but it's worth it. I think it will save you some headaches later on when you go to install it. <<<<

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Just to clarify the 08+ the manifold is NOT welded to the mani cat
Just to add the fwerk's flex is bigger & designed for their header.

#37 ·
I'm prepared.

wit installing the header with out the tune wont it throw codes in the car? not a fan of lights on my dash :(
I think it will make the check engine light turn on until I get the o2 sensor disabled with my tune.

it will toss codes ONLY if your not using all three sensors, However your still going to be lean so, tune is needed.
I'm eventually getting my tune just not at the same time I get the header cuz I dont wana spend $700 all together I rather spend $300 first and $300 then you know what I mean?

#41 ·
UPDATE

My header and flex pipe are coming in this Friday, so I'll be able to get them installed sometime near.

I'll be getting my tune for it probably next month, but i'll keep yall updated on the progress!

#45 ·
i have the race exhaust but yeah ill see how it sounds and if its too loud how yall say ill buy the stealth converter[/QUOTE]

Header w/ race exhaust, We all know it'll sound awesome w/ some rev's to it. You will be ordering a stealth muffler shorty if not another magna flow behind that stealth. Or just order 2 yes two stealth's. It'll fit too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.