Focus Fanatics Forum banner

When did you change your timing belt?

When Did you change your timing belt

61K views 204 replies 141 participants last post by  SVTF119z 
#1 ·
Please vote when you did this.

If you haven't please post your current milage and when you plan to do this.
When can have a good informative thread fro us all if enough participate.

#90 ·
Yes, I know. I consider belts to be roughly equivalent in terms of function even though they are doing a valve train or a power steering pump or even a final drive mechanism. They all need changing at some point. I would have preferred gear drive for this but it would have been too noisy for regulations, I suppose. The exposed belts die quicker than the covered ones. Thanks for the response.

#91 ·
Indeed, I do like the chain-driven timing of my Duratec V6; for an interference engine, it seems like a no-brainer. But the SVT Zetec is just the last iteration in a long, LONG line of belt-driven 4-cylinders that ended up getting the short end of the stick when the chain-driven Duratec 4-cylinder stomped out its production run. A real relic in that respect that really would have benefitted from a timing chain. Oh, well! You play the cards you're dealt, I guess...

#95 · (Edited)
hows this

I just picked up a 2002 svt that had 204K on the odometer. I figured That I might be on borrowed time if I did not address the timing belt /water pump issue. Now I can drive a bit easier knowing I am good for awhile.
Ray

p.s. now to get a replacement horn and a set of seat covers. BTW does anyone know of some good quality seat covers or do they know of a set of blue/black front seats for sale at a good price?

#96 ·
p.s. now to get a replacement horn and a set of seat covers. BTW does anyone know of some good quality seat covers or do they know of a set of blue/black front seats for sale at a good price?
First off, welcome to the Forums. Secondly, I think we would all give a limb or two for a fresh set of SVT seats. I know my red inserts have seen better days.

Anyway, the only recommendation I have is to watch the buy/sell/trade forums, but they aren't going to be cheap. There was a discussion a while about about the possibility/cost of having the front seats reupholstered (at least the red inserts).

Regardless, it won't be cheap...

#99 ·
2002 SVTF
2nd owner
Purchased 9/2011 with 92K miles, now has 103K miles.
Came with a clean carfax with a lot of service records all done at Ford Service Departments; but no timing belt replacement.

Just ordered & paid for all the parts (timing belt, water pump, tensioner, all pulley's, new serp belts) from my local dealer where a family member is the Service Manager so I was able to get everything at cost.

Will be installing everything next week.

#108 ·
Changed at 87,000. Belt and pulleys all looked good.

There is an "alignment" flat bar that sets the cams, and there is a screw in "bump stop" alignment tool that sets the crank. You will need both tools - don't attempt this job without them.

FYI - set the cam alignment tool BEFORE sliding the belt off. I was 180 out when I went to set align the cams and had to step away for a moment. Put the belt back on, rotated the moter, aligned and got no codes. Consider myself very lucky in this regard.

#115 ·
I just bought a svtf and it has 78k on it, no idea if the belt has been changed...

#118 ·
I'm doing mine now cause I'm going to tech school and were doing timing belts and mines at 112950 and its still the original belt sucks though cause can't continue on it till Monday and she is my DD long weekend ahead

#121 ·
Just picked my SVT up in September with 83,000 on the clock. Purchased the entire timing belt assembly (Belt, Idler pulley, Tensioner pulley, Valve cover gasket) from Steve at Tousley Ford for a little over $100 and had the work done at a local shop with experienced mechanics I trust for $240 labor. Since I can't vote for some reason I had right at 86,000 when done.

#122 ·
First off welcome . I think you need a minimum post count to vote.
Also $240 is very reason price for this

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.