Anyone tried E85 yet? - Page 16 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > ST EcoBoost Performance (2013)

ST EcoBoost Performance (2013) The place to chat about the 2.0L EcoBoost engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-14-2014, 07:51 PM   #151
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 46 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rracing View Post
You are so wrong! I can't believe you can talk this BS, I tune E85 on all different platforms you need to get with the times. Here try some reading from the pros http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_0611_e85_ethanol_fuel_test/

'get with the times' and you post an article from 2006?

BTW, maybe you'd like to reread the entire thread. I feel you missed a few key points.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2014, 10:03 PM   #152
Rracing
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 141809
What I Drive: 2013,Red Focus ST Corn Fed

FF Reputation: 1 Rracing Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell View Post
'get with the times' and you post an article from 2006?

BTW, maybe you'd like to reread the entire thread. I feel you missed a few key points.
Here some more reading then, BTW my ST is running great, still running E85 LOL

As hot rodders, we're sometimes guilty of turning a blind eye toward the world's dwindling energy resources. To the rest of the world and even to our own countrymen, we're fat, dumb, happy Americans tooling the highways in our fuel-thirsty hot rods while baby seals are bludgeoned and Bangladesh goes hungry. We are in a dwindling minority, and if we are to preserve our hot rodding way of life, we've got to be prepared to defend it.

What got me thinking about this was GM's new "Live Green, Go Yellow" campaign, which features their line of flexible fuel cars. On the surface, it's one of those feel-good PR deals that reaches out to the environmental types, but I did some digging, and this technology has some great ramifications for hot rodders too.

If you don't remember anything else, remember this one word: ethanol. Turns out, it makes a great fuel for hot rods. When blended with ordinary gasoline (85 percent ethanol and 15 percent gasoline), it turns into a wicked brew called E85. This stuff has an octane value that ranges anywhere between 105 and 113. And that's anti-knock index (R+M/2), not the over-inflated research octane rating used by the Europeans. Remember the Mach III Mustang concept that Ford built as a precursor to the then-new 1994 Mustang? It featured a 450hp supercharged DOHC 4.6 that ran on-you guessed it-E85.

The thing you may not realize is that E85 has been around for a long time. There's even a budding infrastructure to support the distribution of E85. In the United States, there are currently 98 plants that can brew the stuff to the tune of 4 billion gallons a year. Most of it goes into the 5 million flexible-fuel vehicles already on the road. Four billion gallons doesn't sound like much compared to the 140 billion gallons of gasoline American drivers use every year, but it's still a great start. In Brazil, about 75 percent of the cars sold run on E85, and they're on the verge of declaring independence from imported oil.

The big attention getter here is that the higher octane of E85 translates into more compression, more boost, or more of both. That means more horsepower. (I'll stop for a moment while you mentally calculate how much more power and throttle response your current engine would have with an extra three points of compression or another 5-10 pounds of boost.) The only downside is the amount of energy in a gallon of E85 is less by 5 percent to 15 percent. Basically, you'd need to carry 11 gallons of E85 to go the same distance you went on 10 gallons of gasoline. Big deal. This is not really the negative it appears to be on the surface, because E85 costs less per gallon.

Unlike Schwarzenegger's hydrogen highway, E85 is the real deal with no down side. For starters, vehicles running E85 pollute less. Compared to ordinary gasoline, E85 emits 10 percent fewer oxides of nitrogen, 40 percent less carbon monoxide, and 80 percent fewer sulfates. And as any college freshman can tell you on a Friday night, ethanol is a renewable resource. It's distilled from grain, and right now, the Arabs are wringing their hands over the frightening notion that we dumb, fat, happy Americans are on the verge of discovering it. Best of all, building E85-powered cars requires no big change in the way cars are built, maintained or hot rodded.

For once, hot rodders might find themselves on the same side of the fence as environmentalists. The key to discussing E85 with your neighborhood tree-hugger is to use hot-button phrases like "renewable resource," "pollution abatement," and "reduces global warming." Whatever you do, don't say things like "catching rubber in Third gear" or "more boost."

Read more: http://www.popularhotrodding.com/fea...#ixzz2wBYOJojR
Boomba Short Shifter Turbo Tech Motor mounts, Carbotech Brakes: BF Goodrich Rival tires Gotta have the hook up with the horsepower !
Old 03-17-2014, 02:38 AM   #153
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 46 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
... still 2006
Old 03-17-2014, 04:47 AM   #154
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 57 sailor Excellent Standing Member
It's appropriate to use quotation marks at least when quoting an article.

Don't see any reason to doubt your results or experience, that's not really a factor in the discussion of whether tuning for E85 will work without issues throughout the US.

As far as I can tell, info. from here, other threads, and outside sources shows that E85 isn't consistent in quality or availability throughout the country.

You can safely tune for max. performance from it due to your location it seems, others don't have that option without buying it in drums.

Even tuning for 93 octane won't let you drive anywhere, that availability varies as well. Only plus there is that you can be fairly sure of what you get from the pump, and know without testing when the right fuel isn't available.

E85 can be useful, but until avail. in standardized form everywhere it's limited to use as a "flex-fuel".

S.R. #275
Old 03-17-2014, 12:22 PM   #155
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Quote:
The big attention getter here is that the higher octane of E85 translates into more compression, more boost, or more of both. That means more horsepower. (I'll stop for a moment while you mentally calculate how much more power and throttle response your current engine would have with an extra three points of compression or another 5-10 pounds of boost.) The only downside is the amount of energy in a gallon of E85 is less by 5 percent to 15 percent. Basically, you'd need to carry 11 gallons of E85 to go the same distance you went on 10 gallons of gasoline. Big deal. This is not really the negative it appears to be on the surface, because E85 costs less per gallon.
I only wish this was true

Quote:
Unlike Schwarzenegger's hydrogen highway, E85 is the real deal with no down side. For starters, vehicles running E85 pollute less. Compared to ordinary gasoline, E85 emits 10 percent fewer oxides of nitrogen, 40 percent less carbon monoxide, and 80 percent fewer sulfates. Best of all, building E85-powered cars requires no big change in the way cars are built, maintained or hot rodded.
Add back in that 25-30% more e85 it takes to make the same power or go the same distance and that emission saving doesnt look as good it becomes marginal in most areas and the cost savings also becomes marginal

Building a e85 powered hot rod requires special rubber lines , special metal lines , fuel pump , filters , foam in the fuel cells , tune for 25-30 % more fuel so bigger injectors , and I can go on , then a new engine from the unregulated pump e85 because the octane isnt there

Got anything newer ?

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 03-17-2014, 12:42 PM   #156
Rracing
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
I only wish this was true

Add back in that 25-30% more e85 it takes to make the same power or go the same distance and that emission saving doesnt look as good it becomes marginal in most areas and the cost savings also becomes marginal

Building a e85 powered hot rod requires special rubber lines , special metal lines , fuel pump , filters , foam in the fuel cells , tune for 25-30 % more fuel so bigger injectors , and I can go on , then a new engine from the unregulated pump e85 because the octane isnt there

Got anything newer ?

Tom
I guess everyone has there opinion, I been running it in my ST for over 6 months, I do have an E 85 analyzer on board to check the consistency, very cheap insurance, my final dyno was 292 whp with 404 TQ off the k03, also have it in my race car full 100% E85 1.6 L 310whp pulled the engine down after 50 track days it looks new, I always tune E85 to the wet side, it doesn't loose any horsepower and keeps it safe. And I sell the analyzer if anyone is interested? Here is a picture of it installed on my ST
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E85 Analyzer_resized.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	243.0 KB
ID:	35754  

Boomba Short Shifter Turbo Tech Motor mounts, Carbotech Brakes: BF Goodrich Rival tires Gotta have the hook up with the horsepower !
Old 03-17-2014, 02:32 PM   #157
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
So you have no idea of octane , no idea how much knock you have , no idea of water content , your only checking the E rating

I wish you the best

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 03-17-2014, 05:21 PM   #158
Rracing
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
So you have no idea of octane , no idea how much knock you have , no idea of water content , your only checking the E rating

I wish you the best

Tom
Of course I know what the content is? out here in CA we don't have a large swing in E85 and the gas out here sucks! a $ 20.00 kit will tell you what it is.

I am not using it in a competition, I give myself plenty of room on the tune, so go pay $ 7 to $8 for race fuel to get a few extra horsepower and you can tune it on the edge. And I monitor my engine all the time! I even use it at the autocross track and so do a lot of others with no problems.

Maybe you ought to learn how to tune it correctly, there are a lot of tuners out here that will disagree with you, I race with them all the time.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:09 PM   #159
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

For every one that you know likes it there is one that doesnt

I have been tuning the Focus and other cars for over 30 years and have a steller reputation on tuning both NA and FI

I will go pay 7-8.00 at the track for fuel that I KNOW what the octane is and that it is reliable and will keep my engine safe , safety is the key , performance is second and I never tune on the edge with any octane fuel

So I take it you have never checked the octane , moisture content, specific gravity of the fuel you like so much , that toy you have pictured only shows how much the E mixture is and nothing more that means anything , when you have it checked properly like I have done many times then you will actually know what your talking about as for the pump e fuels, then come back and talk to me

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus

Bookmarks & Social Networks