Focus Fanatics Forum banner

did you buy an extended warranty?

• Nope. Included warranty only.

Votes: 73 47.1%
  • Yes. PowertrainCARE (29 key components covered).

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Yes. BaseCARE (84 key components covered).

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Yes. ExtraCARE (113 key components covered).

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Yes. PremiumCARE (500+ key components covered).

Votes: 75 48.4%

Did You Buy An EXTENDED WARRANTY For Your New Focus?

46K views 258 replies 109 participants last post by  Tiger-Heli 
#1 ·
honestly...there are a TON of things that can go wrong in these highly computerized/gadget-filled Foci...did you get some sort of extended warranty for your new car? i'm on the fence!!!! [scratch]

if you did...which plan and what duration did you get?

See less See more
#2 ·
I declined the warranty at the time of sale because I knew I could get it cheaper online.

My plan is to purchase the warranty before the first year is up.

PremiumCARE / $50 deductable

It's a must for SEL/Titaniums with all the technology in these cars. Several have already had their APIM replaced under 1,000 miles.

I'm a sucker for piece of mind :p.

EDIT: The cheapest Ford ESP can be found here: [www.zeiglerfordesp.com]. They are a dealership chain based in MI. FYI, You don't need real information to get an online quote either.

#6 ·
I declined the warranty at the time of sale because I knew I could get it cheaper online.

My plan is to purchase the warranty before the first year is up.

PremiumCARE / $50 deductable

It's a must for SEL/Titaniums with all the technology in these cars. Several have already had their APIM replaced under 1,000 miles.

I'm a sucker for piece of mind :p.

EDIT: The cheapest Ford ESP can be found here: [www.zeiglerfordesp.com]. They are a dealership chain based in MI. FYI, You don't need real information to get an online quote either.
I just ordered a Titanium tonight, so this definitely has some relevance to me. What exactly are you saying? Isn't that covered under the normal 3 year warranty? [:0] What sort of stuff isn't?

Also, do you know if Ford ESP is transferable? While I'm not typically one to go with extended warranties, the prices aren't that bad if they can be used in a resale.

#3 ·
the dealer told me that it would be more expensive to get it afterwards.....my focus is on order so i have time to figure it out. you can actually get it cheaper from somewhere else? i'd have thought it was standardized...

p.s. i'm in canada if that changes anything...wouldn't think it would since it's a US/Canada warranty.

#4 ·
Most dealers will tell you that. Your best bet is to get a quote and compare it to the online site I linked.

From the site:
You don't need to pay full retail for factory-backed protection. Our internet sales model offers Ford Extended Service Plans (Ford ESP) at highly discounted pricing. This is the same plan that your local dealership may have offered you at a much higher price. These are real Ford Factory Extended Service Plans and are honored at all Ford, Lincoln and Mercury dealerships in the United States, Canada and Mexico.

#5 ·
it doesn't look like it's possible to get the warranty from those online sites when you live in canada.... :(

#10 ·
I'm on a 5-year loan, I'll be getting an ESP soon I believe, for the fact that I have MFT and all the automatic stuff like wipers and windows, back up assist sensors, and the powershift, never know what's gonna go wrong electronically, why chance it?

#11 ·
Yeah I'm inclined to agree - was just trying to understand the details.

I ordered a fully loaded Titanium (5 year loan as well) so I'm definitely looking into this. I'm curious how much the price goes up as you approach the the 3/36,000 limit? Or does it remain the same (other than general inflation)? If that's the case, I'm not sure why one would buy it right away for this car. The 2012 focus already come with roadside assistance, etc., so I'm not sure what the advantage would be in getting it when you purchase the vehicle?

#12 ·
Yeah I'm inclined to agree - was just trying to understand the details.

I ordered a fully loaded Titanium (5 year loan as well) so I'm definitely looking into this. I'm curious how much the price goes up as you approach the the 3/36,000 limit?
Well... if it's a significant amount I don't see a reason to wait. It's going to be the same coverage either way I believe. I plan on keeping this car for a long time. Hopefully having opted for MFT won't kill that idea in the long run... i.e. I hope they don't stop supporting it for us Foci guys down the line.

I'll be investigating my ESP options though. Will post what I find.

#13 ·
The earlier you get it,newer the car, the cheaper it is. I got an online price and when my car comes in I know what to tell the dealer I want it for. The advantage is you can roll the cost in with the car financing. If you buy it online later, you have to pay the entire cost when you buy it.

#16 ·
Premium Care purchased at 400 miles from an online Ford Dealer. Full PC coverage and about $900 cheaper than at purchase. This is THE FoMoCo warranty, not aftermarket.

http://www.zeiglerfordesp.com/

#22 ·
I subscribe to the same philosophy and have never purchased an ESP. That said, I am more on the fence than ever w/ the amount of technology in the new FF, especially with the MFT and Sync.
[confused]

#19 ·
If it's Ford PremiumCARE rentals ARE included, you'll be given a set of wheels if you ever need it.

Keelhaul, that's a very true statistic however in terms of our Foci with MFT or SYNC... all it takes is one of the modules or the APIM to lose it after our bumper to bumper is up, and then that $1500 is probably going to be worth it.

This car is so tech heavy that I can't see a reason not to... I wouldn't be going for 7 years just 5 for me, but even still.

#23 ·
It appears that any time during the first 12 months, the price is the same as day 1. Other than getting a rental during service during the first year if you purchase the premium service, there is no other benefit to getting it during the first 12 months. If you would like to finance the service plan, that may be another benefit of getting it on day 1.

I decided to hold on to my moneay and purchase online at some point prior to the 3 year warranty expiration date. Live/work close to dealer and the offer a shuttle service.

#30 ·
no extended warranties are how dealers make the most money and not worth it

What people also don't realize alot of the time is that the extended warranty does not mean an additional 5 years or 3 years or whatever on top of the original factory warranty. It is just an additional. So if you get 6 years/60,000 miles that's exactly that, 6 total years from start of factory warranty. So if you buy extended warranty for 6 years you are essentially paying for 3 years you don't even need to pay for which is dumb, imho.

The only warranty I got was the Road Hazard package which cost me $600 for 5 total years and they will replace and tire and rim at no cost. Being that I have the low-profile tires and the 18" rims and each rim costs $270 and each tires about $280 on Tire Rack, the warranty was definitely a must have imho.

#24 ·
I realize this thread is about the ESP, but how about the maintenance plan that ford is selling through the dealership, covers things like breaks, clutch, etc... i was quoted about 1300$ for 6 year plan but you have to have all the servicing done by ford, any opinions on this?

#27 ·
This might be worth it for other Ford vehicles, but I don't know about the Focus. Check the manual. The required maintenance required before 100,000 miles is not worth $1600. If I recall correctly, the only maintenance needed until then is your regularly scheduled oil changes (5,000-10,000 miles) and maybe a new air filter (50,000 miles?).

#40 ·
I got the 5 year/60,000 mile Premium warranty on my car so that if Snyc/Audio System/Moonroof (basically anything electronic - which is almost 1/2 of the car) has any issues whatsoever - I can have peace of mind about it.

Plus I only have a short commute to work - so I plan to go the 5 years for sure :)

#42 ·
Can't vote in the poll yet but I will be getting the 7 yr 125K extended warranty when I get a vin number for my order. I see it as cheap insurance should something major go wrong, and it will likely not take me long at all to get over that 36k mile mark

#43 ·
The warranty I got from my dealer was called "Wrap"?

It's a 5yr 100k mile bumper-to-bumper. But after seeing all of these different types, I'm not sure which plan I have (or if it's none of those...)

#44 ·
no. i was asked if i was interested. i said no. i'm sure i'll get something in the mail about it. i'll see what's offered then.

checked out the price on this premium plan, cheaper than anything else i found. bought the 6 yr/75k mi $100 deductible. good enough for me, pretty much doubles what i got from the factory.

#45 ·
Take the extra amount per month you'd be paying and just dump it into savings. I'm with the others that feel they rarely pay off. If you do need it, then hey you have it all sitting in savings and you didn't pay any interest on it over the last few years. Personally I'm in a position to drop 500-1000 if I have to down the line to fix something big. How much would I have paid by then if it were worked into the loan? Probably about the same, but I get flexibility by not having it.

#46 ·
the plan i got was $560. one repair out of warranty could easily exceed that amount. two and i'm at a huge loss.

insurance is a gamble. i'm gambling the car will have problems that will exceed the cost of the plan. they are gambling it won't.

the extended warranty will help with resale value if i choose to dump the car in 3 years (which is currently my plan, unless i really like it and there isn't anything new that i like better).

show me any investment plan that could double my $560 in 3 years because I've got a few million i'd love to throw in it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.