Focus Fanatics Forum banner

New IMRC Actuator Still Get Code P1518

41K views 64 replies 20 participants last post by  rmlentine 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, this is my first post. Great site, tons of info on here.

I've searched for this, but I can't find anything like what I'm experiencing. I had two codes for oxygen sensors and IMRC stuck open. I fixed the O2 sensors and tried to fix the IMRC box, but my light stayed on and the car runs like crap. So I ordered a new actuator from Tousley Ford, put it on, and it still doesn't work. The cable does not move, I even unplugged the connector while it was running to see if it would open, but it already was open. Is there a fuse for this or anything else I should look for? I'm running out of patience.

#58 ·
The hot wire is the power circuit I mentioned (GN/WH pin 2). The other 2 (besides the grounds mentioned-pins 3/5) are a signal(Bk/WH pin 1) and monitor(WH/RD pin 6) for the PCM.

"The IMRC system is monitored for failure during continuous, key ON engine OFF or key ON engine running self-test. The test fails when the signal on the monitor pin is less than an expected calibrated range at closed throttle." If the voltage at the IMRC monitor circuit is near 1 volt at closed throttle, the IMRC fails the self test. Signal voltage should be vref.

#59 ·
Hi, this is my first post on here...

has anyone come up with why a brand new from Ford IMRC would still not work properly?
Do I need to be digging into the intake side of things here?

I've replaced it three times already over the past 5 years that I've owned this car and this is the first time it hasn't immediately fixed the code and started working...really pulling my hair out...plus I still have a March rejection sticker on my car...

#60 ·
so when the car is in the on position is the imrc suppose to activate and keep the flap closed or stay open until it reaches the 5k revs. everyone that i put in mine seems to always smell like there is something burnt in it. the smell comes from the motor itself and ive tested the motors and they are whats burning out. the question is why? can anyone tell me what would cause this.

#61 ·
This post scares me to death. I have the same code. I've sprayed everything down with cleaner but still have the light. I've activated my runners with the computer at work and they work fine I think it's just getting hung up for a second enough to pop the code. I'm yet to pull out the whole motor to see if it's failed. But if it's still working I don't think that's the cause. Has anyone had any luck with just replacing the motor?

#64 ·
I took out my buddy's motor from the IMRC assembly to try and clean the contacts. Instead of finding dirty contacts, I found the motor had actually oval'd out the aluminum of the housing. So the motor would move back and forth in the housing. His light was also intermittent.

We ended up putting a used one in it. Now he gets the light every so often. Next step is to take the used one apart and see if we can clean the contacts. If that one is toast, it's either a tune or a cougar part.

#65 ·
First post here.. I've read this thread as well as some others. I'm getting the P1518 code, but my IMRC seems to be working. It pulls the cable back and stays like its supposed to (that means its functioning correctly, right?). MIDAS wants to replace the intake manifold. I'm not sure that that's the right move... If I pull on the cable the runners seem to move freely so I don't believe they are stuck in any way.

I'm also getting a code for a vacuum leak. Any ideas?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.