Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Rattle at base of windshield

8K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  skiboarder119 
#1 ·
Now that it's getting cold out I'm getting a REALLY annoying rattle at the base of the windshield. It only happens at speeds over 50 MPH and sounds like something being blown by the wind.

Anyone have any idea what it could be? I want to point my delaership in the right direction before I bring it in becasue they seem to be unable to do it themselves on previous visits.

#2 ·
I took mine in last week for a constant "rattle on the right", only above 45 mph. I thought it was in the lower passenger door area but they just called an hour ago and said they finally found it, something to do with windshield molding. I hope to pick it up tomorrow and will post more details once I know more.

#5 ·
Now that it's getting cold out I'm getting a REALLY annoying rattle at the base of the windshield. It only happens at speeds over 50 MPH and sounds like something being blown by the wind...
Have the same noise on my st
Mine just started to do this recently...
Hey folks,

The best first step is to get your vehicle to the dealership so they can inspect. Ford certified techs are specially trained to track down mystery noises like this one.

I took mine in last week for a constant "rattle on the right", only above 45 mph. I thought it was in the lower passenger door area but they just called an hour ago and said they finally found it, something to do with windshield molding. I hope to pick it up tomorrow and will post more details once I know more.
Thanks for sharing your diagnosis, kam327! Hopefully this will help out the other folks when they go in for service.

Have a great day, everyone!
Crystal

#6 ·
I dont know if this can help:

I had the right connector wiper motor TSB done this summer. Upon taking my car back, I have notice that the exterior black molding that cover the whole base of the windshield (and the wiper motors) was not clipped/snapped correctly back in place. I had to do it myself. Theyre was a good 1/8 inch of open space between the molding and the base of the windshield. The molding/trim piece should fit very snuggly against the base of the windshield.

Doing this, I also noticed that the 2 large vents located near the wiper arms had loose cover on them. I have secured the cover so they dont jiggle anymore.

While upgrading my air filter to a K&N, I have noticed that the battery cover was loose aswell...The cover is in 2 pieces. You must secure the rear part first, and you are going to love this if you got big hands. Once the rear part is firmly secured, you can attached the front part to it.

Doing this got rid of a weird buzzing giant fly like sound I had when accelerating with the car. And no, it wasnt the actual car engine noise :)

Also, check for loose roof molding ''rails''. One member here had one of them ''fly away'' due to faulty assembly. I have a loose one on the right side but I dont think it's loose enuff to fly away. I keep an aye on this gy every time I wash the car to see if it becomes ''looser''

Cheers

#10 ·
Great suggestions, Kaaru. Thanks for sharing!

I took a look at mine. Apparently the plastic cowl snaps into a channel at the base of the windshield. Mine was not. I snapped it back in and the noise seems to have gone away. The only problem I have is that right above a ground for the passenger side wiper motor it looks like they burned through the plastic to do the recall. I'm waaaaaay not happy with this because they just put one of those caps with the teeth on it in the hole but it doesn't even come close to fitting so it may be a source of a rattle still. I'm going to take it to my service advisor on Thursday and see what he can do about it. I hope they replace so there is no hole anymore.
Hey, JayDeZ,

Let me know how it goes at the dealership; I'm always happy to step in and help if you need me.

Have a great weekend!
Crystal

#7 ·
I took a look at mine. Apparently the plastic cowl snaps into a channel at the base of the windshield. Mine was not. I snapped it back in and the noise seems to have gone away. The only problem I have is that right above a ground for the passenger side wiper motor it looks like they burned through the plastic to do the recall. I'm waaaaaay not happy with this because they just put one of those caps with the teeth on it in the hole but it doesn't even come close to fitting so it may be a source of a rattle still. I'm going to take it to my service advisor on Thursday and see what he can do about it. I hope they replace so there is no hole anymore.

#9 ·
I have the same thing going on, I'm going to look in the places you guys suggested tomorrow. The dealer took a look at it when I went to get my oil changed but of course it wasn't making noise then. If one of these suggestions solve the problem one of you guys is my new hero.

#13 ·
Mine's started doing this since it got cooler out, too. Definitely sounds like something on the outside rattling against it - even though I'm not sure that's what it actually is.

Good suggestions on the trim/molding - I'll check mine later.

#17 ·
After 3+ years, my car developed this problem. Everything is snapped in place and this area of my car has never been serviced nor had damage.

I jammed a piece of foam between the little plastic piece and my windshield wiper and sure enough its gone now- but will be back the minute i turn my wipers on. I guess maybe i'll take it apart and put some foam tape under it or something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.