Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Those with Magnaflow's Exhaust System (Part #15072)

56K views 197 replies 42 participants last post by  Gi_Jo_Nathan 
#1 ·
I'm VERY interested in purchasing Magnaflow's exhaust system for my SEL, but I wanted to get a little more info on it before throwing down the $$$. So far the only FF member I've seen with the actual Magnaflow system (non-custom) is VH5150, and he was even nice enough to post up a decent write-up with detailed pictures. Here's the link:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=295099

With that said, I'd like to ask anyone with this particular system to please post up with their experiences with it. If you happen to have any videos or photos to post up, as well, that'd be even better! [race] From what I've heard from the Magnaflow website, I really love how this exhaust sounds, but I was hoping to hear a few other clips from the FF community to really sway my decision. [woot]

Thanks in advance for any and all help! [ffrocks]

#3 ·
There aren't many members that are running a 2.25" exhaust. They typically go with either a 2.5" exhaust or a custom setup (with some going after axle changes and some going cat-back).

#4 ·
I can only speak from all the magnaflow muffler I've hear and used and the cutback on my 2003 corolla. I sold a ton of magnaflow systems off of people hearing that car. They are very deep and smooth sounding. There never any really harsh volume changes with their system. They are quiet inside the car but enough for you to enjoy a good deep clean sound with none of the poppy gurgling sound. That's the way it was on my corolla and eclipse turbo.

#10 ·
Thanks for the info. [thumb] I've been a big fan of Magnaflow products since using one of their resonators on my 2003 V6 Tiburon. After I put on headers and exhaust, the tone developed a little bit of rasp at the higher RPMS, and their resonator pulled it right back down to where I wanted it to be. Ever since then, I've been sold on thier products. And, judging from the videos on their website, they've figured out a way to produce a nice, deep tone on our Foci too. [headbang]

#5 ·
Ive got mined installed earlier this week. Whole catback exhaust from Magnaflow. It sure gives my 2012 focus a good pull. I asked Magnaflow whats the HP increase on this. They said between 9-15hp. It got a nice purr low growl not too ricey or raspy. I can enjoy listening to music as well. Well worth it. Paid $470 for the whole kit. Big savings. [wiggle]

#8 ·
What meattooth said--x 1000. If anything, it sounds a bit deeper "live" than it does on Magnaflow's website. I liken it to a stock late model STI, tone-wise; I really like it. Best part is that there is zero drone. I would imagine that it might get a little louder once it "burns in", but I'd be thrilled if it stays as it is now. I bought mine based on the video's sound, my past experience with Magnaflow, and the incredible deal that I got from meattooth. You won't be disappointed with this system.
MikeR

Awesome!! Thanks so much for the info guys! I'm really looking forward to getting the exhaust now because deep tone with zero drone is exactly what I'm looking for. [headbang] An increase in HP isn't that important to me, but it's definitely a nice bonus! [hihi]

On a side note, where did you find your exhaust for $470 ShogunSamurai2005?[cheers]

#6 ·
What meattooth said--x 1000. If anything, it sounds a bit deeper "live" than it does on Magnaflow's website. I liken it to a stock late model STI, tone-wise; I really like it. Best part is that there is zero drone. I would imagine that it might get a little louder once it "burns in", but I'd be thrilled if it stays as it is now. I bought mine based on the video's sound, my past experience with Magnaflow, and the incredible deal that I got from meattooth. You won't be disappointed with this system.
MikeR

#11 ·
I got my exhaust at this low price at autoplicity. After entering your car info it wont show up unless u type in 15702 in the search box. Itll pop up and warn u it wont fit in your focus but it does anyways for any 2012 focus hatchback. Good luck!

P.s. i paid $470 because of CA state tax any others outside CA gets it cheaper! I received within 48hrs!

#18 ·
Unfortunately no, apparently processing the order takes a couple days...you know because pulling something off the shelf and slapping on a label on it takes 48 hours. I got a notification it shipped out today and the ETA is Saturday. If I get then I'll probably try and put it on Sunday if my buddy with the lift in his garage is free. If not it'll be early next week.

#20 ·
Finally the FedEx man dropped off my box today, that took entirely too long. But as promised here's the sound clip.

All jacked up and ready to go, I'm almost certain this is how Ford designed the new Escape too, lol.

The resonator and mid-pipe.

The muffler and tip.

And all installed on the car, the fit was perfect and I'm really happy I went with Magnaflow since I know they are a quality name and I wouldn't be struggling to make it fit my application.

I did start up the car with an open cat and it was loud, sounded just like the Neon come to think of it, but for whatever I didn't take a video of it. I wish I would have though. But I did take a clip when everything was buttoned up. It sounds really good, it's not overly loud but there's a nice little gurgle and a smooth, deep tone.

#22 ·
Totally worth the wait, wasn't it?

#23 ·
That sounds pretty damn good, actually.

I've been leaning towards the FSWerks Stealth exhaust, but I'm not a huge fan of the way it sits under the bumper, and some people seem to complain about droning at freeway speeds.

Any shots from the rear/side to show how the Magnaflow comes out from under the bumper?

#24 ·
Sounds great!

Hey just curious has anyone ever thought to cut out that stock mid-muffler under the car and replace it with a straight pipe. Leaving the lunchbox muffler in place.

#27 ·
You know, eventhough it's off topic, I wonder how that would sound as well?? As far as I can see, everyone has just gotten rid of the "lunchbox." My guess is that it would probably sound a whole that better this way too. I think you should start a thread about it, and see if anyone posts up. Who knows, maybe it will be the next entry level mod. [headbang]

#26 ·
That's crazy because I was JUST thinking about whether or not you had gotten your exhaust today, and then you posted up!! [hihi] With that said, it sounds freakin' AWESOME!!! Thanks for all of the pics too!! I'm now 100% sure that this will be the exhaust I'm getting for my foci. [thumb]

If it's not too much to ask, could you also possibly post up a video of what it sounds like inside the car (while driving)? Thanks again!!

#30 ·
I have the catback Magnaflow as well. I think I put it on at the beginning of the year. I'm very happy with it. Just enough sound to hear with a pleasant deepish tone. If you want something loud to turn heads, this isn't for you. I was most pleased with the extra few HP gained. The car is definitely faster without the stocker exhaust. Install was pretty easy too, you just have to cut the factory exhaust in one place. Helllllo angle grinder.

#31 ·
Awesome!! Thanks for posting up! I'm definitely glad to hear that you're really enjoying your Magnaflow cat back too. :) I was kinda hoping that this thread would be the place where everyone could post up opinions, photos or videos of it installed on their rides. As for the tone, it definitely sounds like it's absolutely perfect for me because that's all I'm looking for. :-D

#35 ·
I think I misread your post if you are talking about coupling the Magnaflow kit components with 2.5" piping. Those components may not work with that size piping, but I'm not 100%. Going with 2.5" and removing the cat, would require a full custom build, or long-tube headers and one of the available 2.5" setups.

The only real issue is the possibility of beginning to run a lean AFR, though there isn't a lot of data showing of just how lean the system will/can get. Focusboy is running the long-tube headers and his dyno did show a slightly lean condition, though still within tolerances. Obviously, waiting for a tune is always the best option.

#38 ·
It's the ability to flow, for future head room for other mods. Same goes for picking out parts for custom systems, if they won't flow enough CFM's you'll hinder your ability to make power.

#37 ·
Hey Joey D, are you still planning on posting up a video of what your exhaust sounds like from the inside of your car (while driving)? I'm REALLY digging this exhaust, and I'd LOVE to hear what the interior tone was like. Thanks again for everything bro. [pray]

#39 ·
Sorry mate, I just got my MacBook back today, but as promised here it is. You can see it's not that loud and it's even drowned out by the road noise off a set of summer tires and the Steeda CAI. I guess it's also worth noting it was hot that day, like 97 or something and I had the A/C on.

It is slowly getting louder and deeper though. I'll probably wait another 4 or 5 days and then do another sound clip.

It's being screwy with the embedding but here's the link if it doesn't work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIb7rEyDmHo

It's the ability to flow, for future head room for other mods. Same goes for picking out parts for custom systems, if they won't flow enough CFM's you'll hinder your ability to make power.
Ya but it's not like the Focus is some 300hp car. I mean ya, if the kit you want is a 2.5" there's nothing wrong with it, I just don't see any noticeable power difference between the two. I mean I might have gotten 8 or 9 hp at the most from the exhaust (probably even less) and I know the Steeda CAI didn't really give big gains either. With a 2.5" exhaust maybe an additional hp or two?

#41 ·
That is a ridiculously expensive kit for what it it. A good muffler (Magnaflow, Borla) and tip would run you under $200 and then you'd need about 2' of pipe to put it all together.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.